Do you think Gary should plead guilty in court?

Use this forum to discuss the July 2021 Book of the month, " Worldlines: A Many Worlds Novel" (Many Worlds, #1)" by Adam Guest
Anna Bookowski
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 63
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-anna-bookowski.html
Latest Review: Just Die by E Alan Fleischauer

Re: Do you think Gary should plead guilty in court?

Post by Anna Bookowski »

mKlaphake wrote: 22 Jul 2021, 14:04 I don't think there is any easy answer to this question. Physically Gary did kill Michelle and there is physical proof to back that up. In the eyes of the court and especially in the eyes of Michelle's family Gary is indeed guilty. But, I still think it is important for Gary to fight considering he consciously did not and likely never would have harmed Michelle if he knew what was happening. I also think that in a way it might help Michelle's family understand why the events played out as they did. I'm sure in their mind and previous to these events, Gary was a great future son in law and the fact that he killed Michelle doesn't make any sense to them. Even if it is hard to believe Gary's story it might lead to less hurt in the long run, if they at least have the opportunity to hear him out.
Yes, this sounds reasonable, but there's an issue of belief: it's really hard to imagine that Michelle's parents would believe in Gary's being possessed by the other him from a different wordline. I suppose it could happen if we assume that there are in fact all the infinite possibilities happening. But I also had this feeling that in a real-life - at least at the point where our science is now - nobody would believe him. His friends, the professor, the attorney, and especially not Michelle's parents. In normal circumstances, they would simply think that Gary lost his mind, or that he's mentally ill.
On the other hand, if the judge would believe this reasoning and release Gary deciding he's not guilty, it would cause many dangerous situations in the future: more and more criminals would claim to be possessed and not responsible for their actions. The consequences could be very dramatic.
Anna Bookowski
Currently Reading:

Post by Anna Bookowski »

Saint Bruno wrote: 22 Jul 2021, 17:47 Should he place his innocence below showing respect for Michelle's parents and plead guilty? My answer is no! I wouldn't plead guilty since I didn't physically commit the crime or even remember doing it in the first place. i think his innocence is more important than respect.
I see it seems very simple for you, and I can see why, but you're not correct when you say that he didn't physically commit the crime. It's actually exactly what happened: he physically committed the crime. He doesn't remember it and it was not intentional, but it did happen.
And as a matter of fact, I think the only way to show respect to Michelle's parents is to plead not guilty, not the other way. Because if he admits his guilt, they'll expect an explanation, they'll want to understand, and he doesn't have a believable reason he could give them. As long as he claims not guilty, even though he did that, he might leave some space for argumentation and imagination. This way Michelle's parents, which most probably wouldn't believe the other worlds story, could at least assume him being mentally ill or unstable or something like this, but still hold to the thought that he did love their daughter and what happened was not intentional.
Anna Bookowski
Currently Reading:

Post by Anna Bookowski »

Feliceness wrote: 22 Jul 2021, 19:46 It is hard to accept condemnation over something YOU KNOW you didn't do.

Its almost ludicrous to think of Blue worldline Gary actually being taken to prison for Michelle on his time line where Michelle is still alive; even though he is essential reponsible.

I don't even know how it would work IF he was brought to Black worldline Gary's world BECAUSE he killed Michelle in a dream.

I don't know how justice should be brought for Michelle.

We do many things in dreams.

Gary knew what he was doing when he stabbed her. You cannot say it was an accident.

It was a dream. How do you charge someone with murder in a dream - no matter the intent?

If this is could condoned....a lot of people are going to jail for murder, robbery, perversion, etc.

Good thing this is a story....right?

Yes, this is pretty confusing, right? I guess the second book deals with the subject of consequences; I think the review of the second book from the series mentioned that the framed Gary will be looking for revenge on the other self! Such a crazy idea... :techie-studyinggray: I wonder how it'll all work out after all!
Going a bit deeper into your comment: I have a strong feeling that there's also a second bottom to the story. I think there's also an issue of our true human nature with its dark side. The lucid dream where Gary stabs Michelle is a bit of a musing on what would we become if there would be no consequences to follow our actions? What would be able to do if we were sure we wouldn't have to pay for our crimes? Could we then see our true selves? Because the reader of this book should understand that all the Garys are in fact the same person (I was explaining it already a few times in comments before). So every Gary is the same Gary, just living all the possible scenarios of his life. So Gary who was charged for killing Michelle isn't really a different person; he's just himself from a different worldline. Ergo= it is quite possible that this Gary, if being rejected by his world's Michelle, would do exactly the same as the other him, if he'd only be sure that he's only dreaming or if he knew that there would be no consequences of this.
Anna Bookowski
Currently Reading:

Post by Anna Bookowski »

Orizon wrote: 23 Jul 2021, 03:30 As much as all pieces of evidence and surrounding premises point to Gary pleading guilty, I think he should stick with his truth. It is quite complicated but I think it is the wise thing to do.
I agree with you. Even though it's obvious that he physically did it, he had no intention or even a recollection of it. As his argumentation doesn't sound believable at all, at least not until the multiverse theory is proved (so far it's still only a theory), and he can expect to be sentenced, pleading not guilty may be the only way to protect the rest of his dignity. Because this way there's quite a chance he'd be treated as mentally ill. It's better than admitting guilty and being perceived as a monster.
6eyed
Currently Reading: Pedro Paramo
Bookshelf Size: 48
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-6eyed.html
Latest Review: The Vanished by Pejay Bradley

Post by 6eyed »

Anna Bookowski wrote: 23 Jul 2021, 04:29
6eyed wrote: 21 Jul 2021, 13:46 There are two things to consider here. One is that Gary is not guilty. He was possessed by an entirely different person, so, in truth, he is not guilty. If the main thing to consider is how Michelle's family feels, we know from the green line (and I believe also the blue line?) that Michelle's family doesn't truly believe he's guilty. They still want to be close with him, despite the sorrow that losing Michelle has caused them. If Gary pleads guilty, they will never have closure. They will always believe that their wonderful daughter was killed because she trusted her boyfriend, and I think that's even worse.
I have to agree with that. That's a very valuable argument: if Gary would plead guilty, Michelle's parents would never have closure because they wanted to believe that he's not guilty after all. They've known him for years and they know Gary loved their daughter. If he'd plead guilty, he would be expected to explain why he did it. And there would be no good answer. However, I'm pretty sure that it would be very hard for anyone to believe that Gary was overtaken by another him from a different worldline. Maybe in the far future, if the multiverse theory is proved, it will be a valid argument. And it definitely would be in one or more of Gary's infinite worldlines.
When I was reading the story, I felt like I would probably believe Gary, at least the part about him not being in control of his actions. I remember thinking that if I was Michelle's family, I would probably chalk up his actions to an unforeseen psychiatric issue. That way, he doesn't have to explain why he did it or anything like that even if Michelle's family doesn't believe in the worldlines theory.
Reema Aydieh
Currently Reading: Everyone in My Family Has Killed Someone
Bookshelf Size: 111
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-reema-aydieh.html
Latest Review: Terms of Service by Craig W. Stanfill

Post by Reema Aydieh »

Just like we saw in many lines in the book he might have done that and got fewer years in jail or it might have done nothing to change the outcome. This is one of the reasons I enjoyed this book, there are many possibilities to everything. Pleading guilty for a crime he didn’t commit doesn’t feel right.
“Just keep swimming.”
Uzo_Reviews
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 23
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-uzo-reviews.html
Latest Review: Snow Country Lane by Sarah Vail

Post by Uzo_Reviews »

I think Gary should plead guilty because one must face the consequences of his/her actions. Besides, the evidence which is the video from the murder and witnesses are glaring him in the face whether or not he remembers. Pleading guilty will be taking responsibility for his actions.
Anna Bookowski
Currently Reading:

Post by Anna Bookowski »

6eyed wrote: 23 Jul 2021, 11:59
6eyed wrote: 21 Jul 2021, 13:46 There are two things to consider here. One is that Gary is not guilty. He was possessed by an entirely different person, so, in truth, he is not guilty. If the main thing to consider is how Michelle's family feels, we know from the green line (and I believe also the blue line?) that Michelle's family doesn't truly believe he's guilty. They still want to be close with him, despite the sorrow that losing Michelle has caused them. If Gary pleads guilty, they will never have closure. They will always believe that their wonderful daughter was killed because she trusted her boyfriend, and I think that's even worse.
I have to agree with that. That's a very valuable argument: if Gary would plead guilty, Michelle's parents would never have closure because they wanted to believe that he's not guilty after all. They've known him for years and they know Gary loved their daughter. If he'd plead guilty, he would be expected to explain why he did it. And there would be no good answer. However, I'm pretty sure that it would be very hard for anyone to believe that Gary was overtaken by another him from a different worldline. Maybe in the far future, if the multiverse theory is proved, it will be a valid argument. And it definitely would be in one or more of Gary's infinite worldlines.
When I was reading the story, I felt like I would probably believe Gary, at least the part about him not being in control of his actions. I remember thinking that if I was Michelle's family, I would probably chalk up his actions to an unforeseen psychiatric issue. That way, he doesn't have to explain why he did it or anything like that even if Michelle's family doesn't believe in the worldlines theory.
Yes, I also have the feeling that whether Gary would plead guilty or not, he would be examined by psychiatrists, and most probably pronounced mentally ill. Which would result in a different judgment I guess. I imagine they would put him in some closed psychiatric unit instead of sending him to jail.
Anna Bookowski
Currently Reading:

Post by Anna Bookowski »

Reema Aydieh wrote: 23 Jul 2021, 16:37 Just like we saw in many lines in the book he might have done that and got fewer years in jail or it might have done nothing to change the outcome. This is one of the reasons I enjoyed this book, there are many possibilities to everything. Pleading guilty for a crime he didn’t commit doesn’t feel right.
Yes, I guess after all no matter what he would say in court - if not in this worldline then in the other every possible outcome would happen! :? I think he should go for it and plead not guilty a this would be the last chance to prove at least partial innocence. If he'd plead guilty he would not have any chances for a lighter sentence or even understanding and sympathy from anyone anymore.
Anna Bookowski
Currently Reading:

Post by Anna Bookowski »

Uzo_Reviews wrote: 23 Jul 2021, 18:16 I think Gary should plead guilty because one must face the consequences of his/her actions. Besides, the evidence which is the video from the murder and witnesses are glaring him in the face whether or not he remembers. Pleading guilty will be taking responsibility for his actions.
This might seem so simple but I'm not sure if I agree with everything you say. On the one hand, you're right, but on the other, this is a very special situation and circumstances unusual. As we may assume that most possible outcome is that no matter what he pleads he will be sentenced anyway, then maybe pleading not guilty is the very last chance to protect his dignity as a person. And after all, I guess it's better to be treated as a mentally sick person than a heartless monster.
Honest-reviewer
Currently Reading: The Lost Symbol
Bookshelf Size: 119
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-honest-reviewer.html
Latest Review: Sip Lake by joseph basara

Post by Honest-reviewer »

I don’t think Gary should plead guilty. Because according to him he did not commit the crime. But like you mentioned, he did not remember his actions. He does not have control over his actions and so even the court might not entirely accept that he is guilty because of the psychiatric reasons.
yomide
Currently Reading: We are voulhire
Bookshelf Size: 46
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-yomide.html
Latest Review: The Scarlet Queen: by Mitch Reinhardt

Post by yomide »

Agreed. As far as closure is concerned, Gary shouldn't plead guilty. Although pleading not guilty is a long shot I still think it was the right course if action. If he had pled guilty, Mitchell's family would definitely want to know; why? What went wrong? How did it get to that? When did it get to that?
There is no point in trying to please a person who doesn't apreciate me. Besides, why do I have to try and please anyone in the first place?
Feliceness
In It Together VIP
Favorite Book:
Currently Reading: Spirituality in the 21st Century
Bookshelf Size: 55
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-feliceness.html
Latest Review: Looking Glass Friends by E L Neve

Post by Feliceness »

Thank you for your reply Anna.

Yes, I am reading the second book now. I have great hopes that Adam is going to hit all of the things you've discussed about the worldlines. It still bothers me that Gary would do what he did (you wont get spoilers from me) just because of a rejection. That is dark. I can't wait to get to the answers.

I had to rethink all of the dreams I remember. As far as I know I have never killed anyone.

Mostly, I'm running from zombies. :)
:reading-6: Feliceness Means Happiness
Anna Bookowski
Currently Reading:

Post by Anna Bookowski »

Feliceness wrote: 24 Jul 2021, 23:18 Thank you for your reply Anna.

Yes, I am reading the second book now. I have great hopes that Adam is going to hit all of the things you've discussed about the worldlines. It still bothers me that Gary would do what he did (you wont get spoilers from me) just because of a rejection. That is dark. I can't wait to get to the answers.

I had to rethink all of the dreams I remember. As far as I know I have never killed anyone.

Mostly, I'm running from zombies. :)
Ah, I also can't wait to read the second book! I wonder which scenarios the author will choose to present to the reader (because we know that ALL the possible must happen anyway, right? ;) )
I must admit that it happened to me to kill someone in a lucid dream, but it was absolutely in self-defense and I had no other choice there! It was kind of superhero action, and I must admit, as I have lucid dreams quite often, I did enjoy this one. And I really don't think I would be able to kill anyone in a real life. Or... would I? :lol:
Anna Bookowski
Currently Reading:

Post by Anna Bookowski »

Honest-reviewer wrote: 24 Jul 2021, 11:12 I don’t think Gary should plead guilty. Because according to him he did not commit the crime. But like you mentioned, he did not remember his actions. He does not have control over his actions and so even the court might not entirely accept that he is guilty because of the psychiatric reasons.
Yes, I think if he'd really used this way of defense, he would be simply pronounced mentally ill. But it wouldn't be fair to plead guilty when he knew that he would never do that from his own will. I think this is why it's so complicated - there's no one right solution to this.

Return to “Discuss "Worldlines" by Adam Guest”