Healthcare, a choice or necessity?

Use this forum to discuss the May 2021 Book of the month, "Surviving the Business of Healthcare: Knowledge is Power" by Barbara Galutia Regis PA-C
Nikhila Kulkarni
Favorite Book: Kalayla
Currently Reading: The DrugTech Trilogy
Bookshelf Size: 18
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-nikhila-kulkarni.html
Latest Review: Terms of Service by Craig W. Stanfill

Re: Healthcare, a choice or necessity?

Post by Nikhila Kulkarni »

I most definitely agree with the author. Being closely associated with the healthcare sector, I can surely say that no one can predict what can happen in the future. And we can never know its severity unless the situation is right in front of us. So it is a necessity and must be given a priority.
Nathaniel Owolabi
Favorite Book: Cat Detectives in the Korean Peninsula
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 55
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-nathaniel-owolabi.html
Latest Review: A Dream For Peace by Dr. Ghoulem Berrah

Post by Nathaniel Owolabi »

I disagree. Healthcare is definitely a choice. Just like a man's life is his responsibility, so is his health. As long as he does not affect any other person with hiatus decision. To get health insurance, although it could be of great help, is completely the person's choice.
Valeria_7
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 26
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-valeria-7.html
Latest Review: Kalayla by Jeannie Nicholas
Reading Device: B00KC6I06S

Post by Valeria_7 »

cd20 wrote: 06 Jun 2021, 14:48
Suzer6440 xyz wrote: 05 Jun 2021, 23:11 I would think throughout a persons lifetime, that we would ALL need insurance at one time in our lives. So I would side with the “nessesity” part
I would agree with that as well. It does not feel much like a choice, but rather a necessary evil. It's hard for people to afford insurance, but I imagine it's a lot worse without it. Thanks for sharing your thoughts.
I totally agree that healthcare is a necessity and not much of a choice, at least not for most people. However, I cannot help but notice that sometimes people equate healthcare with insurance (i.e. health insurance) which is only the case in the US and a few other countries without universal healthcare. In countries with universal (free) healthcare systems, such as the UK, this is not the case.
Jessi_reads
Currently Reading: A Script For Aspiring Women Leaders
Bookshelf Size: 15
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-jessi-reads.html
Latest Review: We are Voulhire: A New Arrival under Great Skies by Matthew Tysz

Post by Jessi_reads »

I completely agree. I never understood people who do not care about their healthcare. It can get so fast so bad and to be prepared is essential not only for surviving but especially for a living! My grandma did not take good care of her healthcare and now she is stuck in a very bad old people home after she had a stroke and it is really hard for us to improve her situation without getting completely poor...
WADonnelly
Currently Reading:
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-wadonnelly.html
Latest Review: The Unbound Soul by Richard L. Haight

Post by WADonnelly »

Healthcare will eventually become a necessity for everyone as the chances someone could live their entire life in perfect health is very very low.
t_mann23
Currently Reading:
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-t-mann23.html
Latest Review: Soria's Blood by D.L. Brownson

Post by t_mann23 »

Health care is absolutely a necessity. People go about their lives every day with undiagnosed conditions or even conditions they know about but can't get treatment or medication that could make their lives better because of money or other circumstances. Right now, health care is a luxury, but it really shouldn't be. It should be accessible for everyone who needs it.
cd20
Favorite Book: Hope Between the Pages
Currently Reading: Growing Slow: Lessons on Un-Hurrying Your Heart from an Accidental Farm Girl
Bookshelf Size: 823
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-cd20.html
Latest Review: Now Unto Him by Melissa Huggins
Reading Device: B00IKPYKWG

Post by cd20 »

Nik_kulkarni wrote: 28 Jun 2021, 03:43 I most definitely agree with the author. Being closely associated with the healthcare sector, I can surely say that no one can predict what can happen in the future. And we can never know its severity unless the situation is right in front of us. So it is a necessity and must be given a priority.
I agree it is a necessity, but it is also a choice. While we cannot predict what will happen in the future and need to be prepared for it, some people simply choose not to seek healthcare. It should be given first priority, but the reality is that it gets more of the leftovers. Thank you for sharing your thoughts.
Real life is dreadfully tedious, the way it interrupts reading. -Things We Didn't Say by Amy Lynn Green
cd20
Currently Reading: Growing Slow: Lessons on Un-Hurrying Your Heart from an Accidental Farm Girl

Post by cd20 »

Nathaniel Owolabi wrote: 28 Jun 2021, 08:40 I disagree. Healthcare is definitely a choice. Just like a man's life is his responsibility, so is his health. As long as he does not affect any other person with hiatus decision. To get health insurance, although it could be of great help, is completely the person's choice.
I agree that it is a choice but would also say it is a necessity. While a person's health is their own responsibility, at some point in time that person will require healthcare. I do not believe that a person who does not seek healthcare when sick will not affect others around them...this is how the whole Covid mess spread as far as it did. My husband woke up with a cold today, pre-covid he would have gone to work anyway. He was supposed to travel. He contacted the person he was supposed to travel with and they told him to stay away and his work told him to stay home. Things have changed a lot, but healthcare will also be necessary. Thank you for sharing your thoughts.
Real life is dreadfully tedious, the way it interrupts reading. -Things We Didn't Say by Amy Lynn Green
cd20

Post by cd20 »

Valeria_7 wrote: 28 Jun 2021, 11:06
cd20 wrote: 06 Jun 2021, 14:48
Suzer6440 xyz wrote: 05 Jun 2021, 23:11 I would think throughout a persons lifetime, that we would ALL need insurance at one time in our lives. So I would side with the “nessesity” part
I would agree with that as well. It does not feel much like a choice, but rather a necessary evil. It's hard for people to afford insurance, but I imagine it's a lot worse without it. Thanks for sharing your thoughts.
I totally agree that healthcare is a necessity and not much of a choice, at least not for most people. However, I cannot help but notice that sometimes people equate healthcare with insurance (i.e. health insurance) which is only the case in the US and a few other countries without universal healthcare. In countries with universal (free) healthcare systems, such as the UK, this is not the case.
I think a lot of people see healthcare and insurance as intertwined or the same. I know I was less likely to seek healthcare when we did not have health insurance (the period when you start a new job and before insurance benefits kick in), but with health insurance, I take better care of my family's healthcare needs. But, to be honest, I would prefer to avoid it all, we can never get caught up on our medical bill, even with insurance, and only going when absolutely necessary. Thank you for sharing your thoughts.
cd20

Post by cd20 »

Jessi_reads wrote: 28 Jun 2021, 11:28 I completely agree. I never understood people who do not care about their healthcare. It can get so fast so bad and to be prepared is essential not only for surviving but especially for a living! My grandma did not take good care of her healthcare and now she is stuck in a very bad old people home after she had a stroke and it is really hard for us to improve her situation without getting completely poor...
She is a great example of how it is necessary and a choice. Because of the choices she made not to seek healthcare, she is where she is at. I think a lot of us put off our healthcare until we really need to take care of it. My husband is that way and had a big scare this year, but even after saying he was going to take better care of himself and get a primary care doctor, nothing has changed, he still puts his work first.
cd20

Post by cd20 »

t_mann23 wrote: 28 Jun 2021, 13:12 Health care is absolutely a necessity. People go about their lives every day with undiagnosed conditions or even conditions they know about but can't get treatment or medication that could make their lives better because of money or other circumstances. Right now, health care is a luxury, but it really shouldn't be. It should be accessible for everyone who needs it.
I agree that healthcare is a necessity, but it is also a choice. There will be people, who, for whatever reason do not choose to access healthcare. I also agree that it is seen more like a luxury and should be accessible and affordable for everyone. Thank you for sharing your thoughts.
Nivedita BookBee
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 43
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-nivedita-bookbee.html
Latest Review: Why Can't Johnny Just Quit? by Kyle Oh

Post by Nivedita BookBee »

I think healthcare is definitely a necessity. Life is unpredictable and hence unpredictable things happen so we should get all the aid that we can!
Khushboo Barwar
Favorite Book: Inertia
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 27
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-khushboo-barwar.html
Latest Review: The Price of Dreams by Jerry A. Greenberg
Reading Device: B07XVJZPKZ

Post by Khushboo Barwar »

Healthcare is a necessity, especially with all that’s happening around us, we can’t be sure of what might hit us next. But nowadays healthcare has become more of business than serving the people.
Chinecherem A
Currently Reading: Alwyn And June Crawshaw's Outdoor Painting Course
Bookshelf Size: 13
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-chinecherem-a.html
Latest Review: Fragments by Bruce K. Berger

Post by Chinecherem A »

Healthcare is a necessity. It's something that should be available to everyone but then, it's an individual's choice to get it or not.
Ochieng Omuodo
Book of the Month Participant
Currently Reading: The Intrepid Brotherhood
Bookshelf Size: 60
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ochieng-omuodo.html
Latest Review: Endgame by William Reed

Post by Ochieng Omuodo »

cd20 wrote: 05 Jun 2021, 16:14 The author states, "We should be able to agree that everyone during his or her life will require some form of medical care. Given this, it is not a choice, but honestly a necessity for all (p79)." Do you agree or disagree with this?
I agree with the author. Even when you're super healthy you will get old and aging is medical care's bed-fellow. Plus, as happened to me, when my insurance expired, i started falling sick for the first time in my life.

Return to “Discuss "Surviving the Business of Healthcare by Barbara Galutia Regis M.S. PA-C”