What do you think about the use of medical jargon?

Use this forum to discuss the May 2021 Book of the month, "Surviving the Business of Healthcare: Knowledge is Power" by Barbara Galutia Regis PA-C
Laura Britos
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 45
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ana-victoria2002.html
Latest Review: The Last Time I Saw Alice by Richard Kirschenbaum

Re: What do you think about the use of medical jargon?

Post by Laura Britos »

leaana wrote: 01 Jun 2021, 04:20 I like the author's concept; it has the potential to educate non-medical readers about cancer's true nature. Actually, it's quite interesting because some people can relate to her story, and the medical jargon can add to the book's overall appeal especially because its a part of the beginning of the book. This women is a positive role model for society.
I think you make a very good point. The usage of jargon is sometimes done in order to appeal to a certain group and also educate those who are not related to the topics written. Therefore, I think that although it may confuse some people, the usage of medical jargon can allow readers to explore something or learn something new that is applied to a certain topic, in this case: medicine.
Brandy_Nyongesa
Currently Reading: Totem
Bookshelf Size: 25
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-brandy-nyongesa.html
Latest Review: Creating Literary Stories: A Fiction Writer's Guide by William H. Coles

Post by Brandy_Nyongesa »

Am a medical student and I enjoyed reading this book. Inclusion of the medical jargon couldn't be avoided since it is a book emphasizing the health care system. The nonmedical people will also get to understand their health and wellness more.
Vidhi Adhikari
Book of the Month Participant
Currently Reading: True Teryn
Bookshelf Size: 280
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-vidhi-adhikari.html
Latest Review: Mark Victor Hansen, Relentless by Mitzi Perdue

Post by Vidhi Adhikari »

Nancy Morara wrote: 09 Jul 2021, 04:09
gabrielletiemi wrote: 01 Jun 2021, 12:45
El_limitless wrote: 01 Jun 2021, 10:52 It's not entirely out of place to do that. It's a book anchored on medical health, and there's really no realistic way the author could have avoided the use of medical jargons entirely. So the usage for me isn't a lot to handle.
It's indeed a book that brings the medical field so there are some terms that the author couldn't indeed avoid, but I think they could be better explained or substituted by other terms too. Maybe it's something more personal since I found it difficult to understand some words than others, but it's something to think about too because this is a great book and the usage of medical jargon won't change it to me.
I agree, I remember in highschool I read a set book that introduced me to a medical term I didn't know. It was a "cadaver," I didn't know the meaning until it explained that, a cadaver is the lifeless body donated for medical students to practice on. Yes the author should have explained some terms to make it clear to there readers. Nevertheless it was an interesting read.
Being a Grey's anatomy fan, medical jargon does not bother me. I actually enjoy coming across more such words and looking up their meaning.
Sarah Nichols 7
In It Together VIP
Currently Reading: Doctor Sleep
Bookshelf Size: 32
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-sarah-nichols-7.html
Latest Review: The Freedom Building by Martin Kendall

Post by Sarah Nichols 7 »

I don’t think it’s wrong if there is clarification along with the terms they’re using. Actual doctors are supposed to speak to their patients in layman’s terms, so with a book that is supposed to be for non-medical people, I would expect layman’s terms.
Nqobile Mashinini Tshabalala
Book of the Month Participant
Favorite Book: Happy Healing
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 299
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-nqobile-mashinini-tshabalala.html
Latest Review: Anatomy of Revenge by Fred Grace

Post by Nqobile Mashinini Tshabalala »

My answer to your question is a big fat yes. While I am not be directly affected by cancer, there will be readers who are on the journey and those who have just just been diagnosed. They will be using this book not only for research purposes but for guidance as well. So yes, all the info included in the book is necessary.
Documented history is a gift from the past to the future! - NqobileM
EternalD
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 19
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-eternald.html
Latest Review: Zona: The Forbidden Land by Fred G. Baker

Post by EternalD »

It depends on what the author goal is. If it is to alert people who have gone through similar situations, then yes, the language is adequate. However, it is difficult to imagine that a layperson will read this book and understand the full range of concepts as some medical jargon is difficult to understand.
Ailakhu Yusau Aizhebiomon
Currently Reading: Purges of the Soul
Bookshelf Size: 84
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ailakhu-yusau-aizhebiomon.html
Latest Review: Advanced Lotto Rotation System by Joseph Z Vlasic

Post by Ailakhu Yusau Aizhebiomon »

The use of medical jargon by the authors in the book for me is unavoidable. However, the onus to explains these concept also rest on the author to give a brief definition and explanation of them as used in the book may in glossary or and notes. This is important to makes readers who are not healthcare practitioners relate with the author's idea and thought.
Chukwuebuka Ifedigbo
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 32
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-chukwuebuka-ifedigbo.html
Latest Review: Fear Not, Dream Big, & Execute by Jeff Meyer

Post by Chukwuebuka Ifedigbo »

There's no simple way to describe something properly without using the right terms. So these jargons are definitely appreciated.
Novela book
Favorite Book: Chameleons
Currently Reading: The Midnight Library
Bookshelf Size: 49
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-novela-book.html
Latest Review: Hattie Vavaseur by M. Rebecca Wildsmith

Post by Novela book »

I think it is not all wrong to include the details and the procedures of medical terms. It feels more interesting to gain knowledge on things we don't really get to know easily.
Amanda Nicole Newton
Currently Reading: East Wind, 2nd Edition
Bookshelf Size: 48
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-amanda-nicole-newton.html
Latest Review: Shadow's Adventure Home by Kathy Kovar

Post by Amanda Nicole Newton »

I think that there are some things you can put in very simple terms - medical procedures are not one of those things. I think that to talk about medical procedures you sometimes have to use more technical terms than other topics.
Mad Hatter: "Have I gone mad?"
Alice: "I'm afraid so. You're entirely bonkers. But I'll tell you a secret. All the best people are.”
Peace Chux
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 30
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-peace-chux.html
Latest Review: Killing Abel by Michael Tieman

Post by Peace Chux »

Personally, I appreciated the author's use of medical jargon in the book. Medically inclined myself, I found it very educative and more interesting.
AngieOdeh
Favorite Book: Whale of Wonder
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 86
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-angieodeh.html
Latest Review: Smart Love by Vincent Fudge II

Post by AngieOdeh »

The medical jargon used by the author might be helpful to educate the readers but not really necessary. I don't think everyone has the same interest in the medical terms and or understanding of it. Since this book focuses on understanding the healthcare system, it could have been explained better in plain terms with some research references for those interested in digging a bit more.
Ivan Nechaiev
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 34
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ivan-nechaiev.html
Latest Review: The Spirituality Puzzle by James Rondinone and Renee Rondinone

Post by Ivan Nechaiev »

I think it is appropriate to include any kind of medical jargon unless it goes beyond the comprehension of an average reader. Because in the end there will be no utility in the book the sense of which you didn't even understand. I think it is fine to use medical jargon unless it doesn't go beyond comprehendible.
Ngozi Onyibor
Member of the Month
Favorite Book: Sugar & Spice
Currently Reading: The Wizard of Fire
Bookshelf Size: 174
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ngozi-onyibor.html
Latest Review: Devine Enquiries by Martin Hull

Post by Ngozi Onyibor »

I don't appreciate professional jargon in my literature. They bore me because I know I will forget them as soon as I turn the last page. However, I understand its use in this case. I assume the author is trying to be as transparent and as detailed as possible. However, I think she should have left out the names of the medications, considering how experimental some people are.
Ivy Mokote
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 23
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ivy-mokote.html
Latest Review: Beneath the Muscle by Lauren Powers

Post by Ivy Mokote »

I appreciate the use of medical jargon and found it inevitable that the author had to use them. Failure to do so, the book would have a risk of sounding like a self help book. Plus, she puts in some effort towards elaborating on the terms.

Return to “Discuss "Surviving the Business of Healthcare by Barbara Galutia Regis M.S. PA-C”