What do you think about the use of medical jargon?

Use this forum to discuss the May 2021 Book of the month, "Surviving the Business of Healthcare: Knowledge is Power" by Barbara Galutia Regis PA-C
raj_nandani_poet
Currently Reading: The Handmaid's Tale
Bookshelf Size: 56
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-raj-nandani-poet.html
Latest Review: The Last City of America by Matthew Tysz

Re: What do you think about the use of medical jargon?

Post by raj_nandani_poet »

I felt it was okay to add it in the book because it somehow gave sense about the condition and jargon that we all are suddenly introduced to when we are diagnosed with some disease or ailment whether we want to or not.
Ruth Naomi
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 55
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ruth-naomi.html
Latest Review: Peace in the Abyss by Tayo Emmanuel

Post by Ruth Naomi »

In my opinion, I appreciate that the author has gone beyond the normalcy of simply including non-technical terms. I like learning new terms, and in this case medical terms.
Ruth Naomi
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 55
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ruth-naomi.html
Latest Review: Peace in the Abyss by Tayo Emmanuel

Post by Ruth Naomi »

When you pick a medical-themed book, medical jargon is inevitable. However, it would go a long way if the author includes a glossary of contents.
Joseph Dunn
Currently Reading: The Paris mysteries
Bookshelf Size: 72
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-joseph-dunn.html
Latest Review: The Date Farm by Jack Winnick

Post by Joseph Dunn »

I thought the jargon was appropriate, and much of the language that she used has become common. Also, simplifying the nomenclature for specific concepts, treatments, and other related information may create even more confusion: it will be easier for readers to research terms if they have those specific terms.
Danelle Cale
Currently Reading: The Rancher's Widowed Bride
Bookshelf Size: 3515
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-danelle-cale.html
Latest Review: Worldlines by Adam Guest

Post by Danelle Cale »

It’s an important part of her story. If the medical information she shared helps someone, then it was definitely good that the author included it. It wasn’t a large part of the book so I don’t think it detracted from the information she was trying to get out to the public.
JMeryem Fontes
Currently Reading: #AttackAnxiety
Bookshelf Size: 9
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-jmeryem-fontes.html
Latest Review: The Cadence of Excellence by Matthew McDarby

Post by JMeryem Fontes »

It's comprehensive that technical areas have their own language, but it distances the patients and the public in general from certain pieces of information and leaves the persons out of the right understanding of information.
Lisa A Rayburn
Previous Member of the Month
Currently Reading: Fluff Dragon
Bookshelf Size: 267
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-lisa-a-rayburn.html
Latest Review: Nightlord: Sunset by Garon Whited
Reading Device: B018QAYM7C

Post by Lisa A Rayburn »

The only downside to using medical jargon in the book that I can see would be that many readers may have difficulty understanding it. However, it's informative and relatable for those in similar situations, which lands it on the positive side. Overall, the author does a good job of relating the information about healthcare's necessity. I don't think that the medical jargon interferes with her message, and that's what's important.
Books are my self-medication. 8)
Anjali Patil
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 35
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-anjali-patil.html
Latest Review: Kalayla by Jeannie Nicholas

Post by Anjali Patil »

I think Medical terminology allows all medical professionals to understand each other and communicate effectively. When everyone understands what a condition, medicine, or procedure is, they are able to fulfill their roles accordingly, whether that is delivering medicine or billing for a medicine. The Author has done a great job with this.
Jessi_reads
Currently Reading: A Script For Aspiring Women Leaders
Bookshelf Size: 15
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-jessi-reads.html
Latest Review: We are Voulhire: A New Arrival under Great Skies by Matthew Tysz

Post by Jessi_reads »

The author described the medical terms quite well, and it was easily understood what she meant with her texts. I think she had a great way of expressing the importance and similarly kept the wording simple.
pegasus-7
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 14
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-pegasus-7.html
Latest Review: encoded by Richard Nedbal

Post by pegasus-7 »

The inclusion of medical terminologies in the book is very much justified. It makes the book more authentic and relatable to others going through same phase. And not just this book but any other book which focuses on some or the other field has its own terminologies. It also makes it fun to read and makes us learn a thing or two about it.
Sharill Rasowo
In It Together VIP
Currently Reading: Worldlines
Bookshelf Size: 210
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-sharill-rasowo.html
Latest Review: Kalayla by Jeannie Nicholas

Post by Sharill Rasowo »

I do not mind the author's inclusion of medical jargon in her book. This is because I think for her to fully explain what she went through, they had to be included. Her aim was to disseminate knowledge and that is what she did by including those terms.
JB3
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 34
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-jb3.html
Latest Review: Shadow Game by A.M. Adair

Post by JB3 »

I think that it is helpful as it helps to show just how complicated the medical world is. In addition it helps to teach you terms that you may not have otherwise know so that the next time you are confronted by them you understand what they are.
Eutoc
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 35
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-eutoc.html
Latest Review: My Ups And Downs by Sam Barder

Post by Eutoc »

I don't mind it interesting, but it's a gain for both the author and some readers. The author uses this means to express her knowledge base from her exposure during care. Similar could be said about readers who area medically inclined. I usually put up a smirk when I notice the author knows his/her onions in a particular field.
What lies behind us and what lies before us are tiny matters compared to what lies within us.

- Ralph Waldo Emerson
Menace Crypto
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 89
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-nonny2208.html
Latest Review: Pandemic (The U.S. Pandemic in India) by Dieter Gartelmann

Post by Menace Crypto »

I find the use of medical jargons helpful because it helps the reader to have a better understanding of the illness being talked about. At the same time, I think using too much will have an opposite effect as readers who are not well-informed in the health section tend to get confused.
Kim Jek
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 45
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kim-jek.html
Latest Review: Bluewater Walkabout by Tina Dreffin

Post by Kim Jek »

Since the book will be of much help to people in similar situations, I think it is appropriate to i include all the related medical terms as this will make the explanations clearer and more specific.

Return to “Discuss "Surviving the Business of Healthcare by Barbara Galutia Regis M.S. PA-C”