What do you think about the use of medical jargon?

Use this forum to discuss the May 2021 Book of the month, "Surviving the Business of Healthcare: Knowledge is Power" by Barbara Galutia Regis PA-C
Kanchan Sharma
Currently Reading: Fear Not, Dream Big, & Execute
Bookshelf Size: 59
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kanchan-sharma.html
Latest Review: The Biblical Clock by Daniel Friedmann and Dania Sheldon

Re: What do you think about the use of medical jargon?

Post by Kanchan Sharma »

The medical terms used in the book are very important and relevant, without which it wouldn't have been possible to understand the topic completely. Anybody who is going through the treatment would easily relate to the content. It is good for gaining knowledge also.
Black Jewel
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 65
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-black-jewel.html
Latest Review: The Game by Molly Perry

Post by Black Jewel »

The discussion of cancer, or even some other diseases, is still seriously taboo for some reason. And many people just don't want to talk about a rough patch in their lives. I appreciate the author going into the nitty gritty technical stuff that many seem afraid to touch upon for fear that their readers won't understand what they're writing about.

Having health issues of my own, most of the information I can find has been extremely 'dumbed down', and almost impossible to find the actual information, and that can be so frustrating.
Kuchi Mercy
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 23
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kuchi-mercy.html
Latest Review: Building A Coaching Culture by Andreas Von Der Heydt

Post by Kuchi Mercy »

Including jargons in a book meant for public reading, like the author did is totally advisable. While it aids people of same field relate with the circumstance, it also plays a role of educating those with little or no idea.
Kuchi Mercy
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 23
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kuchi-mercy.html
Latest Review: Building A Coaching Culture by Andreas Von Der Heydt

Post by Kuchi Mercy »

The use of jargons in a book meant for public reading, just like the author did, is not a bad thing. While it will aid people in the same field relate with the situation, it would also help increase the knowledge of others on that aspect.
Heidadela
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 21
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-heidadela.html
Latest Review: Kalayla by Jeannie Nicholas

Post by Heidadela »

The details are relatable to people who have gone through similar health trials. Struggling to influence others, I believe there is nothing wrong with going into the details. It is also a way of teaching and familiarising others who have not gone through the trials of cancer or any other chronic. We are all prone so there is nothing wrong with knowing beforehand what a certain illness entails. The medical jargon in the book is justified.
Joy C
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 558
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-joy-c.html
Latest Review: The Legacy of Job's Wife by Cynthia Koelker

Post by Joy C »

I think that it is okay especially when the author makes some efforts to at least break it down. This way, non-medical readers would also understand. Adding detailed medical information would serve the purpose of education, though not to be a guide in choices about medications and treatment regimens.
Begin always with the end in mind. :techie-studyingbrown:
Goodness C N
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 43
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-goodness-c-n.html
Latest Review: Love Yourself & Lose Weight: The Success Story of Self Love by Katie Lips

Post by Goodness C N »

It is a medical book. As such, whether or not the author chose to use medical jargons shouldn't be a problem. However, what I think is that employing such is just perfect and interested readers will still appreciate it.
ReaderAisha2020
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 68
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-readeraisha2020.html
Latest Review: Your Adventurous Life Awaits by Maryann Remsberg and Brian Remsberg

Post by ReaderAisha2020 »

I think it's interesting to add medical jargon. Even if we cannot understand it I feel that a writer who uses such jargon has a positive opinion that the reader will understand or learn something from it. I look up medical jargon sometimes and learn from it. Also some people who read the book will understand. I think it demonstrates the fact that she knows what she is talking about and gives her more standing
Vine Michael
Book of the Month Participant
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 85
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-vine-michael.html
Latest Review: Always Strive to Be a Better You by Pete Hall

Post by Vine Michael »

For me it was cumbersome because I think have an idea what they meant and I didn't have the time or energy to start researching each of them. I believe the author should have used less medical jargon knowing that most of the people that might read this book may not be in the medical field.
Kiran Kanwar
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 14
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kiran-kanwar.html
Latest Review: The Mindset by Ace Bowers

Post by Kiran Kanwar »

That information is not useful for non-medical readers. But if a person from medical background ends up reading the book, it should have facts to corroborate that the author is not just pretending and has gone through what they wrote about.
So, I think that it is not necessarily useful for readers, but for reviewers, that information is important to authenticate the truthfulness of the author.
Sushan Ekanayake
Official Reviewer Representative
Currently Reading: Uplifting The Pain of Behavioral and Learning Styles Through Poetry Now
Bookshelf Size: 408
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-sushan-ekanayake.html
Latest Review: Unsettled Disruption by Juana Catalina Rodriguez
Reading Device: B0794JC2K5

Post by Sushan Ekanayake »

REIGNING20 wrote: 02 Jun 2021, 01:06
Sushan wrote: 31 May 2021, 23:50 The author has gone to the extent of describing, at the very beginning of the book, she being diagnosed with a cancer, the tests that were done, the procedures and their results, the names of medications, etc. Is it a good thing to include that much technical content in a book which is intended for non-medical personnel?
The use of specific vocabulary that is relevant to a certain field gives the book a sense of authenticity or originality. Moreover, it helps readers to get acquainted to that field.
The authenticity is indeed there when technical terms are used to explain technical details. But this author herself was a doctor and whatever the vocabulary she used, her profession would have given this book the necessary authenticity. What I believe is the reader's need is to understand the book but not to be acquainted in the field of medicine, and for that I think the medical terms are a hindrance.
Sushan Ekanayake
Official Reviewer Representative
Currently Reading: Uplifting The Pain of Behavioral and Learning Styles Through Poetry Now
Bookshelf Size: 408
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-sushan-ekanayake.html
Latest Review: Unsettled Disruption by Juana Catalina Rodriguez
Reading Device: B0794JC2K5

Post by Sushan Ekanayake »

Mys_Trea wrote: 02 Jun 2021, 01:28 I think it's good that the author went into exact details of her condition, medication, etc. Anyone who is yet to undergo the same challenge can then take reference from there. Also, once you have been diagnosed with a rare disease, or any disease at all, it becomes a big part of your life. Those complicated terms and 10 different types of medication start to roll off your tongue quite naturally. Thus, I think the author has done a great job in sharing all that with us. She is, indeed, phenomenal.
Total disclosure of details is good to make the reader to trust the book. I agree that those who are having some sort of condition are aware about the related terms and drugs. But I do not think the majority of the readers of this book are sick people, but are healthy citizens who we meet in our day to day lives. There is a low chance for them to be familiar with the heavy memedical jargon.
Atieno Magero
Book of the Month Participant
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 145
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-atieno-magero.html
Latest Review: Stevie Tenderheart Books WAIT A MINUTE! (An Illustrated Novella) by Steve William Laible

Post by Atieno Magero »

I think it's great that the author used medical jargon. People with similar conditions can compare and relate with everything. Plus, I think it shows the brutal reality of cancer. I don't think there's any other way the author could have written this book without including all the technical medical terms.
Emily_Jen
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 78
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-emily-jen.html
Latest Review: Social Media Marketing Strategy by S. M. H. Gibson

Post by Emily_Jen »

Personally, I see it as a great way to understand the gravity of the situation she passed through. Moreover, it doesn't hurt to learn new things about a new field. I certainly loved reading about all the medical jargon.
B Sheila Holt
In It Together VIP
Currently Reading: One Christmas Eve
Bookshelf Size: 85
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-b-sheila-holt.html
Latest Review: Open Heart by Akil Taher

Post by B Sheila Holt »

I fully believe in the idea that “knowledge is power”. She did not use to many medical terms or words pertaining to her condition and what she went through to deal with it. Many readers look for that information when reading, if they are going through it, or know others that are. Information can be stored away and pulled out for a later time. She was smart to add it here.

Return to “Discuss "Surviving the Business of Healthcare by Barbara Galutia Regis M.S. PA-C”