Healthcare, a choice or necessity?

Use this forum to discuss the May 2021 Book of the month, "Surviving the Business of Healthcare: Knowledge is Power" by Barbara Galutia Regis PA-C
cd20
Favorite Book: Hope Between the Pages
Currently Reading: Growing Slow: Lessons on Un-Hurrying Your Heart from an Accidental Farm Girl
Bookshelf Size: 823
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-cd20.html
Latest Review: Now Unto Him by Melissa Huggins
Reading Device: B00IKPYKWG

Re: Healthcare, a choice or necessity?

Post by cd20 »

AtienoMagero wrote: 17 Jun 2021, 07:02 Healthcare is definitely a necessity. You can never predict illness and any medical condition. From the time we're born til we die, there could be many instances where we might require good healthcare.
I agree, we can not predict when we will be ill or any medical conditions. It would be prudent to have healthcare, yet some still choose not to. Others simply cannot afford it, and as another person pointed out, some might not get it because of religious beliefs. Thank you for sharing your opinions.
Real life is dreadfully tedious, the way it interrupts reading. -Things We Didn't Say by Amy Lynn Green
cd20
Currently Reading: Growing Slow: Lessons on Un-Hurrying Your Heart from an Accidental Farm Girl

Post by cd20 »

marba wrote: 17 Jun 2021, 09:32 More than a choice or a necessity, I think healthcare should be a right, everywhere. Not everybody will be chronically ill in their lifetime. Some will never get more than a scratch, but how could you know before it happens?
If everyone makes an effort, distributing in taxes the cost of health care, anyone will be capable of being cured, if in need. Regardless of whether he/she can economically afford it or not.
I agree with, it should be a right, and it would take a lot of changes to get to that point. It is a necessity and not something that everyone can afford. I like your ideas on how everyone could make an effort, that's the way the world was designed to be. Everyone helped others with their needs. Thank you for sharing your thoughts.
Real life is dreadfully tedious, the way it interrupts reading. -Things We Didn't Say by Amy Lynn Green
cd20

Post by cd20 »

Jordan Cane wrote: 17 Jun 2021, 17:46 Health is a part of daily life and therefore every person will need to seek medical help regarding their health at some point in their life. Therefore, healthcare is an absolute necessity.
I agree that health is a part of daily living. We do need healthcare and we also need it to be affordable. Unfortunately, it doesn't always work that way. Thanks for sharing your opinions.
cd20

Post by cd20 »

joynob24365 wrote: 17 Jun 2021, 20:42 I thin it's a necessity. Everyone will need healthcare in their life. Doing healthy activities won't do. It's important to get the help needed for your body with healthcare and insurance.
I agree, I believe it is a necessity as well. No matter how healthy you try to be, something will always crop up. I agree it is important to get the help your body needs, but not everyone chooses to, and not everyone can afford insurance. Thank you for sharing your thoughts.
cd20

Post by cd20 »

ROSEYANN wrote: 17 Jun 2021, 23:43 Healthcare is a choice. We choose to seek healthcare at our leisure or out of necessity. It is a choice that often we wish we could avoid because of the cost. However, it is a choice that. is impacted by how much we know. Navigating the healthcare system can be costly and time-consuming and as with any other commodity the more information we have about healthcare, the better decisions we are able to make.
I believe you are the first person who says it is a choice. I agree that it is a choice and a necessity, and rather we see it as such, necessity trumps choice. I also agree that we choose to avoid healthcare because of the costs. Thank you for sharing your thoughts.
cd20

Post by cd20 »

DTamara wrote: 18 Jun 2021, 05:16 I agree that it is a necessity. Also, we cannot ignore that a lot of health issues (genetic disorders, cancer, asthma, allergies at a high incidence rate and increasing) are a direct consequence of our lifestyle and man-made disasters, such as chemicals virtually invading our bodies, pollution of the air, water, and soil, and radioactive zones. The list goes on. Thereby, while people are free to make their choice, just like any other infrastructure in place supporting our lifestyle, healthcare should be as accessible.
I believe it is a necessity and a choice. Some people simply choose not to get healthcare, it doesn't make it the wisest choice, but it is a choice. I agree that we have a lot of health issues because of our lifestyle. I also believe healthcare should be accessible, but also affordable. Thank you for sharing your thoughts.
cd20

Post by cd20 »

Anthony__ wrote: 18 Jun 2021, 06:03 To me, Healthcare is a necessity. This is because at every point of our lives we need a medical care at one point or the other either indirectly or directly. So, it's not a choice, but a necessity that we embrace when we face a medical challenge.
I would agree with that. But, there are some who will still choose not to get healthcare for whatever reason. I see it as more necessary than choice, but know people who will not get it unless they have no other choice. Thank you for sharing your thoughts.
cd20

Post by cd20 »

TheMazeRunner wrote: 18 Jun 2021, 08:05 I agree with that statement. Every person is different, and no one knows if you are gonna get hit by a bus one day. I bet no one knows how to treat those wounds. We all need healthcare.
That's an interesting way to look at it, but you are right. We never know what we are going to be hit with, literally or figuratively. We do all need healthcare, but it's our choice rather we seek it or not. Thank you for sharing your opinions.
cd20

Post by cd20 »

Jessica Dickens wrote: 18 Jun 2021, 09:07 I absolutely agree with the author and healthcare is an absolute necessity for not just older people but to people of every age group, cast or creed. Sickness doesn't discriminate between the rich and the poor, or even the righteous and the sinners everyone falls sick at any point in their lifespan.
I believe that healthcare is a necessity, but it is also a choice as to whether we seek it out. I also agree that sickness has no limits and affects everybody at some point in time. Thank you for sharing your thoughts.
cd20

Post by cd20 »

Joseph Dunn wrote: 18 Jun 2021, 12:35 I agree that medical care in the modern era is a necessity. Whether it's diagnostic, preventative, or maintenance treatments we all benefit from medical technology and care. At the very least, one of the first experiences in life for most individuals (at least in developed countries) involves an interaction with a medical team in a medical facility.
I would agree that it is necessary and it is also a choice. There are some people who will not seek out healthcare. I think it's interesting that you point out that in developed countries our first interaction is with a medical team in a medical facility. I had not thought of it that way. I do know people who are choosing to give birth at home, or with midwives, so in some ways that is changing too. Thank you for sharing your thoughts.
iangillwindows
Currently Reading: How to Buy a Planet
Bookshelf Size: 4

Post by iangillwindows »

Healthcare is not something that we can just live without. Sure, we can make a choice to ignore the facts that we all get sick, and eventually all die, but why would anyone choose to do without it? If you are unwell, you need Healthcare. Choice is not an option. Perhaps the better question might be, "how do we pay for what we all need?"
johhn mwenja
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 5
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-johhn-mwenja.html
Latest Review: How To Be Successful by M. Curtis McCoy

Post by johhn mwenja »

I do agree, Healthcare is a necessity. Just thinking of COVID, and the way it's messing the global Healthcare services.Every person is vulnerable at one time or onother.
Costello11
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 7
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-costello11.html
Latest Review: Cynthia and Dan by Dorothy May Mercer

Post by Costello11 »

I 100% agree that healthcare is a necessity. While it is up to us to take our vitamins, make healthy food choices and monitor our stress, it is impossible to avoid every cold and sickness out there. Healthcare gives us the support and security needed to confidently go through our everyday lives. It is important to know that we don't have to worry about high medical bills continuously piling up throughout our lives, and no one should have to!
ROSEY-ANN
Favorite Book: Winning the War on Cancer
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 65
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-roseyann.html
Latest Review: Building A Coaching Culture by Andreas Von Der Heydt

Post by ROSEY-ANN »

cd20 wrote: 18 Jun 2021, 13:48
Emily_Jen wrote: 17 Jun 2021, 13:35 I agree that medical care is a necessity; I mean, why wouldn't it be? That's why an insurance for it is mandatory in developed countries like ours. However, some people may feel that it isn't because of their religious beliefs.
I agree that healthcare is a necessity, but some people don't. I think it is interesting that you mention some people might not because of their religious beliefs, I am surprised it hasn't come up sooner. It is also interesting how healthcare/insurance is done in different countries. Thanks for sharing your thoughts.
It seems that there exist, persons, who do not have access to healthcare is it a necessity for them since they are surviving without it? How can we agree that it is a basic need(necessity) when others survive without accessing health care.
Bookreviewer71
Favorite Book: 1984
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 16
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-bookreviewer71.html
Latest Review: The Bronze Bear Continues by Jerry A. Greenberg

Post by Bookreviewer71 »

Healthcare and insurance are a necessity depending on the country we live in. In some countries, the government takes care of all the primary, secondary, and tertiary care services by themselves, thus reducing out-of-pocket expenses. Whereas, in some countries without private insurance, tertiary care would be an absolute nightmare.

Return to “Discuss "Surviving the Business of Healthcare by Barbara Galutia Regis M.S. PA-C”