Coaching or Preaching

Use this forum to discuss the May 2021 Book of the month, "Fear Not, Dream Big, & Execute: Tools To Spark Your Dream And Ignite Your Follow-Through" by Jeff Meyer.
ROSEY-ANN
Favorite Book: Winning the War on Cancer
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 65
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-roseyann.html
Latest Review: Building A Coaching Culture by Andreas Von Der Heydt

Re: Coaching or Preaching

Post by ROSEY-ANN »

DavidOchieng wrote: 27 May 2021, 09:43 Meyer says that people are used to being preached at rather than coached. Frankly, I was worried that this book would fall into the preachy category. Although I'm still squeamish about the scriptural aspects of the book - which I did find a little preachy - I am amazed at how useful to me the chapter on coaching is. What do you think? If you take away the references to scripture is the book devalued?
Yes if you take away the references to scripture it would be devalued unless there is some other basis for the points made. I would like to add that many Bible principles are practised even by others. For example, the principle of honesty is addressed by the Bible and it is also an accepted practice by society in general.
NISSE
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 15
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-nisse.html
Latest Review: Insights for Coaching Leaders beyond 2021 by Jill Flynn

Post by NISSE »

In my opinion, the author has addressed primarily the readers who are in to Christian faith as he has used scriptures to emphasize most of his points. Having said that, there are many advises shared which can be used by any reader irrespective his or her religious beliefs. The chapter dedicated to coaching part being one of that .
Chukwuebuka Ifedigbo
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 32
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-chukwuebuka-ifedigbo.html
Latest Review: Fear Not, Dream Big, & Execute by Jeff Meyer

Post by Chukwuebuka Ifedigbo »

Well, this a difficult decision to make but I would go for coaching. Preachers only send a message across but I don't think they bother themselves about applicability. Coaches on the other hand, ensure that you grow. They nurture you into the person you are meant to be.
Elendu Ekechukwu
Book of the Month Participant
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 149
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-elendu-ekechukwu.html
Latest Review: Killing Abel by Michael Tieman

Post by Elendu Ekechukwu »

I think in life we all tend to follow what people do and not say. Action actually speaks louder than voice. So when you tell people about it and you don't do it. People won't take you see serious.
Faith - Benny Any
Currently Reading: My Enemy in Vietnam
Bookshelf Size: 100
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-faith-benny-any.html
Latest Review: Terms of Service by Craig W. Stanfill

Post by Faith - Benny Any »

I feel both work hand in hand. Preaching will be very effective if the main aim is to "coach" because it yields better results this way. Preaching without coaching doesn't really yield great results.
Aarti Jha
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 5
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-aarti-jha.html
Latest Review: Kalayla by Jeannie Nicholas

Post by Aarti Jha »

The numerous references to scriptures and religious aspects were at times overpowering, but I believe that removing all of those scriptural connections would leave the work feeling incomplete. There are certain sermons that are valuable to both Christians and non-Christians, but there are plenty that are prepared specifically for the Christian community.
Rizki Pradana
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 83
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-rizki-pradana.html
Latest Review: A Dream For Peace by Dr. Ghoulem Berrah

Post by Rizki Pradana »

For me, a lot of elements of coaching are still helpful even without scripture. Also, I think the author had some target audiences when writing this book.
Venus2304
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 14
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-venus2304.html
Latest Review: The Pro-Achievement Principle by Dr. Deborah Bright

Post by Venus2304 »

As a person who values hand to hand knowledge rather than classroom learning, i have to agree that coaching is definitely more effective and engaging than preaching. In this book, the author's view about both terms is well demonstrated.
Sandeep Moses
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 95
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-sandeep-moses.html
Latest Review: Stevie Tenderheart Books WAIT A MINUTE! (An Illustrated Novella) by Steve William Laible

Post by Sandeep Moses »

It's a mixture of both actually. I can't side with one. One needs coaching and preaching in equal amounts to have a stable life.
Bennaji
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 19
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-bennaji.html
Latest Review: Bama Boy by Bobby Morrison

Post by Bennaji »

As a practicing Christian, the need for the scriptures to be referred back to cannot be overemphasized, as it is the foundation of every thing in the book. Coaching to me is better.
Asja Šabani
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 34
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-asja-sabani.html
Latest Review: Zona: The Forbidden Land by Fred G. Baker

Post by Asja Šabani »

:mrgreen: The book advocates coaching over preaching, but it does not follow its own advice. The fact is, coaching is more effective but it requires people to take responsibility for themselves. Most adults never fully mentally grow up and that is why preaching is more prevalent. Most people want to be told what to do rather than take responsibility for their own actions.
Moneybag
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 33
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-moneybag.html
Latest Review: Reconfigurement by E. Alan Fleischauer

Post by Moneybag »

I don't think that there is anything wrong with the scriptural references in this book. In fact, it added more value to this book. whether this book is preachy or about coaching, I think what is more important is the value this book added to the lives of the readers.
Donald Trust
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 19
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-donald-trust.html
Latest Review: Rosa by Barbara de la Cuesta

Post by Donald Trust »

This book was beyond preaching. The author went further to carry readers along by giving practical exercises. This shows that it is more of coaching.
Rex Rexy
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 14
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-rex-rexy.html
Latest Review: Kalayla by Jeannie Nicholas

Post by Rex Rexy »

I think the book is devalued if you take away the scriptural aspect of it. For me, I believe the Bible is the greatest leadership book ever. Leadership takes different approaches. A good leader should know when to adopt a particular approach. A leader should know when to admonish, when to coach and when to mentor.
Phooko Tebogo PC
Favorite Author: Walter E. Broach
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 65
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-phooko-tebogo-pc.html
Latest Review: Donny and Mary Grace's California Adventures by Catherine A. Pepe
fav_author_id: 202169

Post by Phooko Tebogo PC »

The_Vivian wrote: 02 Jun 2021, 12:07 Personally, I think the book was written with a target audience in mind, so it should not be faulted for its preachy aspect because as one of the audience, i enjoyed the book. The coaching aspect was also an exceptional addition which was really helpful too.
I definitely agree with your point, it is pretty clear that the book was written to reach a specified audience. Hence, I find nothing wrong with the biblical verses, and I found them perfectly engaging with the topic. Of course I think that removing the bible verses will degrade the books meaning course after all they are there for a purpose of supporting the author's motivation. The question I could bring forth is if you are to remove all the reference list of opinions of previous researchers from people's articles or journals will the writer's facts alone be able to prove a point? The book was indeed great the way it was.
"Live to leave a mark, the footprints of the greatest" :obscene-drinkingcheers:
~Phooko tebogo

Return to “Discuss " Fear Not, Dream Big, & Execute" by Jeff Meyer”