The author states we are copycats, agree or disagree?

Use this forum to discuss the May 2021 Book of the month, "Fear Not, Dream Big, & Execute: Tools To Spark Your Dream And Ignite Your Follow-Through" by Jeff Meyer.
Yusuf11
Currently Reading: Surviving the Business of Healthcare
Bookshelf Size: 19

Re: The author states we are copycats, agree or disagree?

Post by Yusuf11 »

I can't completely agree with the fact that we are copycats. I believe we just tend to apply another different strategy after it works for someone else, assuming that it will work for you too. Otherwise, if we agreed that we are copycats, then I want to understand who the first person copied.
JH_Mayyy
Currently Reading: The Ultimate Guide For The Avid Indoorsman
Bookshelf Size: 12
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-jh-mayyy.html
Latest Review: We are Voulhire: A New Arrival under Great Skies by Matthew Tysz

Post by JH_Mayyy »

Naturally, seeing others' success arouses one's ambition to also become successful. However, I do not think this makes people copycats. Everyone has different talents and passions. I believe a lot of people would rather focus on the things they love than copying others' path to success which doesn't fit with their gifts.
Ngozi Onyibor
Member of the Month
Favorite Book: Sugar & Spice
Currently Reading: The Wizard of Fire
Bookshelf Size: 175
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ngozi-onyibor.html
Latest Review: The Man In the cafe by Michael J Pilkington

Post by Ngozi Onyibor »

I agree with the author to an extent. There are few original ideas and concepts compared to the number of humans in the world. If everyone were to be chasing uniqueness, we would have far more ingenuity; instead what we have are mostly modifications of existing ideas. I don't think it's a bad thing, though.
Natalia Nazeem
Favorite Book: The Amulet of Samarkand
Currently Reading: We are Volhuire
Bookshelf Size: 41
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-natalia-nazeem.html
Latest Review: Mythic Worlds and the One You Can Believe In by Harold Toliver
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU

Post by Natalia Nazeem »

In a certain sense, I do agree with the idea of people 'copying' successful people - there are plenty of people out there who tout routines and lifestyles that are guaranteed to help you succeed, because 'Bill Gates follows this routine' or 'Elon Musk does this every day'.
However, success isn't achieved by habits or routines, but by our individual choices, and our unique circumstances. I think having a routine or habits to follow does provide some form of comfort and stability, but many people choose to forge their own path and achieve success in their own way.
Sohana Hasan
Favorite Author: Sarah J. Maas
Favorite Book: shadow and bones
Currently Reading: The Beautiful
Bookshelf Size: 37
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-sohana-hasan.html
Latest Review: Waterworks by Jack Winnick
fav_author_id: 2719

Post by Sohana Hasan »

To some degree, I agree with that. It’s human nature to be competitive, to want to be the best and to want praise. So, it makes sense that, whenever someone else is successful, we’re driven to meet them where they are.
cd20
Favorite Book: Hope Between the Pages
Currently Reading: Growing Slow: Lessons on Un-Hurrying Your Heart from an Accidental Farm Girl
Bookshelf Size: 823
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-cd20.html
Latest Review: Now Unto Him by Melissa Huggins
Reading Device: B00IKPYKWG

Post by cd20 »

angelap5467 wrote: 07 Jun 2021, 15:10 I think that to get away from that mindset you need practice. It's easier to focus on someone else's success, rather than to work for yours. The best solution for this, from my point of view, is to give time to soak up that information, be happy about someone else achievements, and go back focusing on yours. The grass is greener on the other side, only because you were focused so much on that grass, that you forgot to water your own.
I agree that the grass often seems greener on the other side because our focus is off. I think we only copy those with similar interests, we don't necessarily copy everyone or get distracted by them. It is important to keep our focus on our tasks and not try to be so much like other people. Thank you for sharing your thoughts.
Real life is dreadfully tedious, the way it interrupts reading. -Things We Didn't Say by Amy Lynn Green
karineyn
Favorite Author: Chimamanda Ngozi Adichie
Currently Reading: Without Stopping
Bookshelf Size: 70
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-karineyn.html
Latest Review: Reconfigurement by E. Alan Fleischauer
fav_author_id: 2734

Post by karineyn »

cd20 wrote: 05 Jun 2021, 14:07
karineyn wrote: 04 Jun 2021, 18:07 Even though I understand the gist of his statement, I find it a bit too simplistic. Personally, successful people inspire me to do a better job at whatever I am doing, not in the sense that I ‘copy’ them, but rather, I adopt their spirit maybe?
I think you are saying you take inspiration from successful people, but not necessarily carry it out in the way that they do? I think we copy those that do things we want to do, or like to do. For me, it is more looking for inspiration than copying exactly what they are doing, and only when I need inspiration. Thanks for sharing your thoughts.
Yes. I think on an educational basis, successful people can be observed, but I believe the way they carry out things should be filtered through one’s own needs and style. I don’t like the idea of direct copycatting. :>
Thank you as well!
Cwaganagwa Dorothy
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 133
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-cwaganagwa-dorothy.html
Latest Review: A Dream For Peace by Dr. Ghoulem Berrah

Post by Cwaganagwa Dorothy »

Copycats I agree, but it depends on how and what, then why? For example some individuals copy for the sole aim of unhealthy competition, so as to show that they are better or can get as much. I copy to improve myself. For example, fashion sense. I see an outfit worn and copy. For example, colour making. I learnt a bit by copying, say red and blue. But then, before I rush to the item. I consider my shade, weather and what I intend to portray as my final image because for me it is important that I do not lose myself in this fast world.
Apeksha Pant
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 0

Post by Apeksha Pant »

Ideally it should not be that way . But if we look around, we are so distracted and lacking focus , we keep comparing ourselves with others , hence we do try to copy others who we feel are better then us
cd20
Currently Reading: Growing Slow: Lessons on Un-Hurrying Your Heart from an Accidental Farm Girl

Post by cd20 »

karineyn wrote: 09 Jun 2021, 04:46
cd20 wrote: 05 Jun 2021, 14:07
karineyn wrote: 04 Jun 2021, 18:07 Even though I understand the gist of his statement, I find it a bit too simplistic. Personally, successful people inspire me to do a better job at whatever I am doing, not in the sense that I ‘copy’ them, but rather, I adopt their spirit maybe?
I think you are saying you take inspiration from successful people, but not necessarily carry it out in the way that they do? I think we copy those that do things we want to do, or like to do. For me, it is more looking for inspiration than copying exactly what they are doing, and only when I need inspiration. Thanks for sharing your thoughts.
Yes. I think on an educational basis, successful people can be observed, but I believe the way they carry out things should be filtered through one’s own needs and style. I don’t like the idea of direct copycatting. :>
Thank you as well!
I wholeheartedly agree! I do not think we should be "directly" copying others either. I firmly believe we all have something unique to bring to any situation and we need to be ourselves. We can always learn something new from others, but no need to copy everything they do.
Real life is dreadfully tedious, the way it interrupts reading. -Things We Didn't Say by Amy Lynn Green
cd20

Post by cd20 »

Yusuf11 wrote: 07 Jun 2021, 17:19 I can't completely agree with the fact that we are copycats. I believe we just tend to apply another different strategy after it works for someone else, assuming that it will work for you too. Otherwise, if we agreed that we are copycats, then I want to understand who the first person copied.
I think to an extent we are because that is what we were taught when we were little, to copy and mimic others. However, I agree with you, I do not think of myself as a copycat, but I do learn from others. I think we all can and should bring our own unique attributes to any given situation, but it is good to learn from others. Thanks for sharing your thoughts.
cd20

Post by cd20 »

JH_Mayyy wrote: 08 Jun 2021, 01:31 Naturally, seeing others' success arouses one's ambition to also become successful. However, I do not think this makes people copycats. Everyone has different talents and passions. I believe a lot of people would rather focus on the things they love than copying others' path to success which doesn't fit with their gifts.
I would agree that seeing other's success does make one want to be successful as well. I would agree that does not make us copycats either. We do all have our own unique attributes that we bring to any given situation. I think some people tend to copy more than others, and other people tend to want to carve their own path. Thank you for sharing your thoughts.
cd20

Post by cd20 »

Michelle Fred wrote: 08 Jun 2021, 06:24 I agree with the author to an extent. There are few original ideas and concepts compared to the number of humans in the world. If everyone were to be chasing uniqueness, we would have far more ingenuity; instead what we have are mostly modifications of existing ideas. I don't think it's a bad thing, though.
I also agree to an extent. We are taught at a young age to copy and learn from others, but as we get older we are encouraged to be ourselves. You are right that we mostly have modifications of existing ideas. I do not think it is bad either, but I do believe we bring some originality to any given situation. Thank you for sharing your thoughts.
cd20

Post by cd20 »

Natalia Nazeem wrote: 08 Jun 2021, 07:22 In a certain sense, I do agree with the idea of people 'copying' successful people - there are plenty of people out there who tout routines and lifestyles that are guaranteed to help you succeed, because 'Bill Gates follows this routine' or 'Elon Musk does this every day'.
However, success isn't achieved by habits or routines, but by our individual choices, and our unique circumstances. I think having a routine or habits to follow does provide some form of comfort and stability, but many people choose to forge their own path and achieve success in their own way.
I would agree that success is not achieved by chasing after other people's success, like Bill Gates. I agree that it is determined by our own individual choices and we have to choose our own paths. Thank you for sharing your thoughts.
cd20

Post by cd20 »

Sohana Hasan wrote: 08 Jun 2021, 09:41 To some degree, I agree with that. It’s human nature to be competitive, to want to be the best and to want praise. So, it makes sense that, whenever someone else is successful, we’re driven to meet them where they are.
I think it is human nature to be competitive, some more than others. I am a highly competitive person, but I do not see myself as a copycat. The only time I go looking at other people's ideas is when I am stuck. Even then, I am using it for inspiration and not to intentionally copy them. I can see trying to imitate others to achieve their success, but that does not always work for us. Thanks for sharing your thoughts.

Return to “Discuss " Fear Not, Dream Big, & Execute" by Jeff Meyer”