The author states we are copycats, agree or disagree?

Use this forum to discuss the May 2021 Book of the month, "Fear Not, Dream Big, & Execute: Tools To Spark Your Dream And Ignite Your Follow-Through" by Jeff Meyer.
cd20
Favorite Book: Hope Between the Pages
Currently Reading: Growing Slow: Lessons on Un-Hurrying Your Heart from an Accidental Farm Girl
Bookshelf Size: 823
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-cd20.html
Latest Review: Now Unto Him by Melissa Huggins
Reading Device: B00IKPYKWG

Re: The author states we are copycats, agree or disagree?

Post by cd20 »

Urvashi Tripathi wrote: 14 Jun 2021, 08:11 I agree with author as we humans needs something to inspire. At the end we all wanted to be successful. If author call that "copycat" than it's ok for me. But I strongly believe that putting our own working style in that is must. Like getting inspired by someone, but not copying their work 100% and putting our own brain and style into it and making it more unique.
But unfortunately I have seen many people doing the same exact thing under peer pressure, even though they don't like doing it e.g. watching particular web series, copying others people hobbies, etc. So I agree with author we all are copycats, but according to me some are in good ways and some are in bad ways.
I would agree with you. We do tend to look to others for inspiration, but then try to tweak a situation to bring our own gifts and attributes to it. There are others who will copy and not try to change anything, in the hopes of achieving the level of success that someone else has achieved. Some people copy in good ways and others in bad. Thank you for sharing your thoughts.
Real life is dreadfully tedious, the way it interrupts reading. -Things We Didn't Say by Amy Lynn Green
Namitha Iyer
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 7
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-namitha-iyer.html
Latest Review: Zona: The Forbidden Land by Fred G. Baker

Post by Namitha Iyer »

I think I would agree with this statement but within certain limits. There is a tendency amongst humans to lose their focus when someone else does something seemingly interesting and we end up looking to what they did for inspiration instead of drawing it out from ourselves. However, I think that this is perfectly alright and does not translate to a lack of originality. Humans are idiosyncratic and one idea will be perceived by different people in different ways, depending on their cultural and socio-economic background, education, etc. So even if our attention is diverted by someone else's creativity, what we make of it is entirely our own decision and reflects our ideas.
Kiran Kanwar
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 14
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kiran-kanwar.html
Latest Review: The Mindset by Ace Bowers

Post by Kiran Kanwar »

My answer would be that yes, we are copycats n=but not in the complete sense. I will give you an example, suppose I am preparing for an exam or an interview, then I will start by googling the previous toppers or top performers in that field. I will find out what they did to make themselves successful and then I'll make a list of all the actions that led to where they are today.

Then I will see that list and pick up the things that I am able to do too. So, in the end, I am copying from among the best actions of multiple people. That makes us partial copycats who know what suits their needs.
the_ashfeathers
Favorite Author: Cassandra Clare
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 25
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-the-ashfeathers.html
Latest Review: First Lessons by Lina J. Potter
fav_author_id: 2912

Post by the_ashfeathers »

I stand in the middle. Each one of us is a mosaic of all the people we've loved and have respected. My writing style, my handwriting are the collaboration of this world of artists. We choose what we like from the people around us. My habits, my ideas might be influenced by so many others. But, even still, as we sit to write a single paragraph, it is never the same as anyone who has written before. Peculiar, isn't it?
"Bloodthirsty little beasts. Never trust a duck." ~ Will Herondale (Cassandra Clare)
dennisbragra
Currently Reading: A Game of Thrones
Bookshelf Size: 33
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-dennisbragra.html
Latest Review: Raven's Peak by Lincoln Cole

Post by dennisbragra »

i believe we are. It started from when we were young, picking up on what our parents or close companions did and emulating them. Even as grown ups i still our traits are a conglomerate of other people's trait
Gabrielle D 1
Currently Reading: A California Christmas
Bookshelf Size: 581
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-gabrielle-d-1.html
Latest Review: Unhinged by Steve Galley

Post by Gabrielle D 1 »

I do agree with this statement, however there definitely is a wide spectrum as to how much one does this. I think it is very common for everyone to want what someone else has and to focus on what they do not have. It does not matter how fortunate someone is, or how much they already have, they always want more. This is just a flaw of being human in the 21st century. I think not everyone follows this to an extreme amount, but I think that everyone is on the spectrum of being a copycat, whether that is at the bare minimum, or the extreme level.
cd20
Currently Reading: Growing Slow: Lessons on Un-Hurrying Your Heart from an Accidental Farm Girl

Post by cd20 »

Namitha Iyer wrote: 14 Jun 2021, 23:13 I think I would agree with this statement but within certain limits. There is a tendency amongst humans to lose their focus when someone else does something seemingly interesting and we end up looking to what they did for inspiration instead of drawing it out from ourselves. However, I think that this is perfectly alright and does not translate to a lack of originality. Humans are idiosyncratic and one idea will be perceived by different people in different ways, depending on their cultural and socio-economic background, education, etc. So even if our attention is diverted by someone else's creativity, what we make of it is entirely our own decision and reflects our ideas.
I also agree to it within certain limits. I think we get inspiration from others, but can and should bring our individual gifts and talents to the situation. I also agree with you that one idea will be perceived by different people in different ways. Thank you for sharing your thoughts.
Real life is dreadfully tedious, the way it interrupts reading. -Things We Didn't Say by Amy Lynn Green
cd20

Post by cd20 »

Kiran Kanwar wrote: 15 Jun 2021, 02:11 My answer would be that yes, we are copycats n=but not in the complete sense. I will give you an example, suppose I am preparing for an exam or an interview, then I will start by googling the previous toppers or top performers in that field. I will find out what they did to make themselves successful and then I'll make a list of all the actions that led to where they are today.

Then I will see that list and pick up the things that I am able to do too. So, in the end, I am copying from among the best actions of multiple people. That makes us partial copycats who know what suits their needs.
I see your point. We are taught from a young age to copy and mimic others, but as we get older we choose who we want to copy and mimic. Rather it is completely copying someone in their style of dress, or in the way that you described. I would like to think that no matter what we will bring our original thoughts and ideas to the table. Thanks for sharing your thoughts.
cd20

Post by cd20 »

the_ashfeathers wrote: 15 Jun 2021, 06:29 I stand in the middle. Each one of us is a mosaic of all the people we've loved and have respected. My writing style, my handwriting are the collaboration of this world of artists. We choose what we like from the people around us. My habits, my ideas might be influenced by so many others. But, even still, as we sit to write a single paragraph, it is never the same as anyone who has written before. Peculiar, isn't it?
I would agree with you. We are all shaped by those who influence us, especially when we are younger. When we are older we don't necessarily continue to mimic our greatest influence of family, we add in friends, acquaintances, celebrities, and whatever else floats our boat. We are, like you said, a mosaic of those around us. Thank you for sharing your thoughts.
cd20

Post by cd20 »

dennisbragra wrote: 15 Jun 2021, 09:23 i believe we are. It started from when we were young, picking up on what our parents or close companions did and emulating them. Even as grown ups i still our traits are a conglomerate of other people's trait
I agree, especially when we are younger. As we get older we tend to copy others and even look to others for inspiration. There are so many people and things that influence us. Thank you for sharing your thoughts.
Chizioboli
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 37
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-chizioboli.html
Latest Review: Pastoring is Not What You Think by Elijah Oladimeji

Post by Chizioboli »

I totally agree. From the word go,e are all copycats of our parents. From DNA to behaviours and more. So inadvertently, we unconsciously adopt the method of going with another person's flow if they seem to be successful. We tend to copy their steps, adopt their methods and emulate them in order to succeed. So, it's an innate behaviour for man to be a copycat to attain certain levels, achieve certain feats or become a highly accepted person in the society
KarFulMar
Currently Reading: Final Notice
Bookshelf Size: 18
Reading Device: B00I15SB16

Post by KarFulMar »

I think we do all go through stages in our development where we are unsure who we are, or will become (such as during childhood and adolescence), so that we are likely to imitate someone who we admire or look up to. Most grow out of that stage to become unique individuals, but same people may be hindered in that development and never process past that stage.
That’s not to say that we can’t imitate some characteristics of someone we admire, but it is more psychological healthy to incorporate characteristics of other those other people and blend them into our own personalities to yield a totally unique person not quite like anybody else.
Mimi Kenneth
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 13
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-mimi-kenneth.html
Latest Review: Last Dance by Stephen Manning

Post by Mimi Kenneth »

I think her statement applies to some people. There are some who don't care about what others do and follow their own path and there are some who behave exactly as she says.
dennisbragra
Currently Reading: A Game of Thrones
Bookshelf Size: 33
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-dennisbragra.html
Latest Review: Raven's Peak by Lincoln Cole

Post by dennisbragra »

cd20 wrote: 15 Jun 2021, 13:19
dennisbragra wrote: 15 Jun 2021, 09:23 i believe we are. It started from when we were young, picking up on what our parents or close companions did and emulating them. Even as grown ups i still our traits are a conglomerate of other people's trait
I agree, especially when we are younger. As we get older we tend to copy others and even look to others for inspiration. There are so many people and things that influence us. Thank you for sharing your thoughts.
Most of the time we copy subconsciously. Our brains pick up a tait it likes in someone and it continuously tunes you into developing that trait as your own
cd20

Post by cd20 »

Chizioboli wrote: 15 Jun 2021, 20:40 I totally agree. From the word go,e are all copycats of our parents. From DNA to behaviours and more. So inadvertently, we unconsciously adopt the method of going with another person's flow if they seem to be successful. We tend to copy their steps, adopt their methods and emulate them in order to succeed. So, it's an innate behaviour for man to be a copycat to attain certain levels, achieve certain feats or become a highly accepted person in the society
I agree that when we are little we are trained to be copycats. I would like to think as we get older we are more aware and not as likely to completely copy someones, but to make each situation unique to us. Thank you for sharing your thoughts.

Return to “Discuss " Fear Not, Dream Big, & Execute" by Jeff Meyer”