The author states we are copycats, agree or disagree?

Use this forum to discuss the May 2021 Book of the month, "Fear Not, Dream Big, & Execute: Tools To Spark Your Dream And Ignite Your Follow-Through" by Jeff Meyer.
Ashley-Osuna
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 20
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ashley-osuna.html
Latest Review: The Pilgrim Bride by Pilar Cerón Durán

Re: The author states we are copycats, agree or disagree?

Post by Ashley-Osuna »

I feel like there's a lot to unwrap from that once sentence. As humans, we are social creatures at our core, which means that from the moment we're born we need other people in order to survive, which I think could lead to some level of "copying". In addition, some social experiments have proven that we don't always need an explanation to do something, as long as we see that everyone around us is doing that thing. However, I feel like society plays a big role in humans being copycats when it comes to success. We've been led to believe that success looks a very specific way (money, status, a good job) that it makes it hard for people to be completely authentic and true to themselves.
Susan Kihleng
Currently Reading: Just Give Me a Soft Place to Land
Bookshelf Size: 273
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-susan-kihleng.html
Latest Review: Elizabeth's Garden by Phillip Leighton-Daly

Post by Susan Kihleng »

I have to admit that I do agree with this suggestion. It's not something we intend to do for the most part, but it definitely is the case for most people. This is why self-help books are popular, as well as influencers, self-help gurus, celebrities, etc. It's human nature to imitate what we admire or look up to.
Medhansh Bhardwaj
Currently Reading: Rediscovering the Wisdom of Human Nature
Bookshelf Size: 16
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-medhansh-bhardwaj.html
Latest Review: Mrs. White’s SUB SNIPS by Laura Moss White

Post by Medhansh Bhardwaj »

This statement is absolutely correct for 99% of the adult population. We are copycats. We were raised to be copycats, right from our birth. Herd mentality is infused into everyone's mind. The entire systems of education, religion and corporations run on this principle. We are made to believe that whatever the mass is doing is right. Only a few people gather the courage to question this entire belief system, and only very few of them actually do something different. Something innovative. This is explained in detail in the book "The Road Less Taken".
Best regards
Rizki Pradana
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 83
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-rizki-pradana.html
Latest Review: A Dream For Peace by Dr. Ghoulem Berrah

Post by Rizki Pradana »

I don't believe that we are copycats because sometimes people are carefree and get creative in their own way and find something that hasn't been achieved by others.
Shridhar Suryawanshi
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 59
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-shridhar-suryawanshi.html
Latest Review: The Seventh Spark by J.B. Lion

Post by Shridhar Suryawanshi »

I agree with the author that we have a lot of traits that others have, but I also believe that each of us is unique in our own way, too.
Sandeep Moses
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 96
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-sandeep-moses.html
Latest Review: Stevie Tenderheart Books WAIT A MINUTE! (An Illustrated Novella) by Steve William Laible

Post by Sandeep Moses »

Well, this might be a controversial topic. My personal opinion is yes I am. I don't know about others. I used to copy many things from others. It's high time I have my own way of doing things!
Bennaji
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 19
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-bennaji.html
Latest Review: Bama Boy by Bobby Morrison

Post by Bennaji »

I agree to some extent. Everybody wants to be successful but not everybody understands that we must not always tow the same path.
xsolomon1
Bookshelf Size: 0

Post by xsolomon1 »

In my personal opinion, I believe that we are. As the human race evolves, growing up, teens and younger maybe even young adults see something someone did, said, or even worn and we think to ourselves, "That is really cool" and decide if we would like to follow. This goes for anything big or small.
Asja Šabani
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 34
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-asja-sabani.html
Latest Review: Zona: The Forbidden Land by Fred G. Baker

Post by Asja Šabani »

I do believe that we are copycats most of the time. We observe other people's actions and behaviors and try to replicate them. In fact, that is how learning occurs. I don't think there is anything bad about observing or noticing other people's success. However, it becomes problematic when it distracts us from our own path. As long as we are learning from others it is okay; the moment we start comparing ourselves and hence start feeling inadequate, we should stop and check our behavior.
ankundachloe
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 14
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ankundachloe.html
Latest Review: Love Yourself & Lose Weight: The Success Story of Self Love by Katie Lips

Post by ankundachloe »

YES and yes by nature we are copycats. we seek to take the same path that the successful people have taken in the past.
Moneybag
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 33
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-moneybag.html
Latest Review: Reconfigurement by E. Alan Fleischauer

Post by Moneybag »

The author did not literarily state everyone is a copy cat. I think he was talking about some group of people with some kind of personality issue. Those who are not focused and instead looking for a way to make their success but prefer to copy what others do.
Donald Trust
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 19
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-donald-trust.html
Latest Review: Rosa by Barbara de la Cuesta

Post by Donald Trust »

I was really confused by this. For me I think we are unique and posses our own personal version.
Mbali Qalinge
In It Together VIP
Favorite Book: He
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 75
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-mbali-qalinge.html
Latest Review: The MISOGI Method by Jody B. Miller

Post by Mbali Qalinge »

I agree. Sometimes, when a person hasn't found their purpose, they may try and do something that other successful people are doing in hopes that it will become their purpose too. Some people can do this intentionally, others unintentionally. There's just so much pressure around finding your unique talent or purpose that we imitate others' talents and try to make them our own.
Larnie_12
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 13

Post by Larnie_12 »

I partly agree with him though, people puts hand in something they have seen proof of. Let's say for instance, you are into a business, and is not moving well for you, then you see someone else into another phase of business, and the business is blooming, it's only natural that one begins to think of how to go into the blooming business.
Rex Rexy
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 14
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-rex-rexy.html
Latest Review: Kalayla by Jeannie Nicholas

Post by Rex Rexy »

Copying and imitation of others is in the nature of every man. It is not bad. It reduces our journey to success. If we imitate the positive parts of highly successful people, we may tend to put ourselves on a path to success.

Return to “Discuss " Fear Not, Dream Big, & Execute" by Jeff Meyer”