"A good leader should not guide his/her followers, but should inspire them". Do you agree?

Use this forum to discuss the May 2021 Book of the month, "Fear Not, Dream Big, & Execute: Tools To Spark Your Dream And Ignite Your Follow-Through" by Jeff Meyer.
Medhansh Bhardwaj
Currently Reading: Rediscovering the Wisdom of Human Nature
Bookshelf Size: 16
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-medhansh-bhardwaj.html
Latest Review: Mrs. White’s SUB SNIPS by Laura Moss White

Re: "A good leader should not guide his/her followers, but should inspire them". Do you agree?

Post by Medhansh Bhardwaj »

I definitely agree with you on this statement. The amount of impact that a leader can generate by leading with example is enormous. A leader should always try to do what he tells others to do. This is the only and the most effective way to inspire anyone. A bad leader will order you around all day while sitting in his cabin and passing away time. A simple example of poor leadership can be seen in many corporates, where the boss gives continuous orders to his employees, while he lays in his recliner in his air-conditioned cabin. I am not saying that all bosses are like that, but many are.
Alexandur Gicov
In It Together VIP
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 69
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-alexandur-gicov.html
Latest Review: Deadly Waters: The Vietnam Naval War And Its Aftermath by Randy Miller

Post by Alexandur Gicov »

Definitely, the leader must have a set of qualities, not just one specific one. In my opinion, one of the qualities should certainly be inspiration because the leader must give hope and faith to his followers. But even with good motives and intentions, one should not cross the line of reality, and sincerity should always be maintained, even in bad moments.
Rizki Pradana
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 83
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-rizki-pradana.html
Latest Review: A Dream For Peace by Dr. Ghoulem Berrah

Post by Rizki Pradana »

I don't agree because a good leader should guide his follower and be prepared for every possible outcome such as to make another potential leader in case the leader died or something.
abbiegault22
Currently Reading: Break the Chains of Dieting
Bookshelf Size: 32
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-abbiegault22.html
Latest Review: The Little Book For Big Transformations (2nd Edition) by Skip Jennings

Post by abbiegault22 »

Yes, I think that a good leader should inspire their followers. I think that a good leader can both guide and inspire at the same time. This can help followers to both learn from their leaders and become interested in what they are doing. In the workplace, if your employees are inspired to do their work they are going to do it better and enjoy it more, but to know how to do their work they need to be guided along the way.
Shridhar Suryawanshi
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 59
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-shridhar-suryawanshi.html
Latest Review: The Seventh Spark by J.B. Lion

Post by Shridhar Suryawanshi »

I don't agree with the author. Leaders are supposed to lead and guide. They could encourage too, but so can a lot of other people.
Bennaji
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 19
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-bennaji.html
Latest Review: Bama Boy by Bobby Morrison

Post by Bennaji »

I think I like the example of Jesus. When one guides, the others tend to look at it as being bossy. However, when one thrives to inspire, people follow out of a voluntary heart not out of obligation.
Prestige-best
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 23
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-prestige-best.html
Latest Review: A Dream For Peace by Dr. Ghoulem Berrah

Post by Prestige-best »

A powerful and thoughtful phrase. I agree with it. I feel like inspired dreams last more than followed-up dreams.
Moneybag
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 33
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-moneybag.html
Latest Review: Reconfigurement by E. Alan Fleischauer

Post by Moneybag »

I do not completely agree with the author on this. A leader should provide both guidance and inspiration for his followers.
Donald Trust
Currently Reading:
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-donald-trust.html
Latest Review: Rosa by Barbara de la Cuesta

Post by Donald Trust »

I disagree with that because inspiration can turn out to be something we don't expect, at that point the inspired need the right guidance.
Donald Trust
Currently Reading:
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-donald-trust.html
Latest Review: Rosa by Barbara de la Cuesta

Post by Donald Trust »

I disagree with that because inspiration can turn out to be something we don't expect, at that point the inspired need the right guidance.
Rex Rexy
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 14
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-rex-rexy.html
Latest Review: Kalayla by Jeannie Nicholas

Post by Rex Rexy »

I believe the ultimate goal of every leader should not be to raise followers. Every leader should strive to raise leaders that are greater than themselves. This is the definition of leadership. A leader inspires by his actions and decision making. In so doing, the followers can emulate.
Gandhi_D 1st
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 24
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-gandhi-d-1st.html
Latest Review: JTs World by E. Alan Fleischauer

Post by Gandhi_D 1st »

A leader shouldn't just inspire his/her followers. He/She should be able to guide them as well. Jesus didn't just inspire his disciples, he guided them through teaching. so I disagree with the statement. A true leader should have the ability to lead, guide, and inspire his followers.
Hager Salem
In It Together VIP
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 327
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-hager-salem.html
Latest Review: One Foot Out of the Box by Vanessa Kristovich

Post by Hager Salem »

A good leader shows by example, so this is guidance and inspiration at the same time.
Wash William
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 32
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-wash-william.html
Latest Review: Devil Among Us by Jack Winnick

Post by Wash William »

For me, good leadership isn't complete with only inspiration. Guidance should be a core quality of a good leader.
Meenahhhh
Currently Reading: How to Live a Life of Hope
Bookshelf Size: 25
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-meenahhhh.html
Latest Review: We are Voulhire: A New Arrival under Great Skies by Matthew Tysz

Post by Meenahhhh »

With this, I disagree. While I understand where the author was coming from when he said this, sometimes, it is simply not enough to only inspire. Your followers can be inspired and have no idea where to go from there! That is where guidance comes in.

Return to “Discuss " Fear Not, Dream Big, & Execute" by Jeff Meyer”