"A good leader should not guide his/her followers, but should inspire them". Do you agree?

Use this forum to discuss the May 2021 Book of the month, "Fear Not, Dream Big, & Execute: Tools To Spark Your Dream And Ignite Your Follow-Through" by Jeff Meyer.
Shivanjali T
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 0

Re: "A good leader should not guide his/her followers, but should inspire them". Do you agree?

Post by Shivanjali T »

"Yes" or "No," "Agree" or "Disagree" should NOT be the rallying point.
A good LEADER is a quintessential of QUALITIES and ROLES.
We all know in order to be a GOOD LEADER, he/she should be a: 1) MENTOR 2) ROLE MODEL 3) etc 4) etc....
:tiphat:
Karissa Schilling
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 30
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-karissa-schilling.html
Latest Review: Lessons For Kids to Learn by D.L.Kelly

Post by Karissa Schilling »

A good leader should inspire their follows and lead by example. Guidance doesn't have to be direct. A great leader lives and acts in such a way that provides an example by which their followers can follow.
jaym_tan
Currently Reading: The Date Farm
Bookshelf Size: 147
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-jaym-tan.html
Latest Review: The Fox by M. N. J. Butler

Post by jaym_tan »

I kind of disagree because while being inspired by a leader is good, some followers might need a bit more help than others. If a leader wants the best for their followers, they must anticipate what their followers need.
yomide
Currently Reading: We are voulhire
Bookshelf Size: 46
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-yomide.html
Latest Review: The Scarlet Queen: by Mitch Reinhardt

Post by yomide »

Dzejn_Crvena wrote: 01 May 2021, 06:48 I disagree. I leader should also know what his/her followers need. You can be inspired to do things but feel lost along the way.
To me, it also depends on what kind of followers a leader has in order to know how to make them work together as a team. Some followers need guidance while the others are self-sufficient enough.
That is the whole point. A leader should inspire while taking care to recgnise what his or her followers need. I belief a leader who can not do both doesn't deserve to be a leader at all.
There is no point in trying to please a person who doesn't apreciate me. Besides, why do I have to try and please anyone in the first place?
Sara chhawniwala
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 17
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-sara-chhawniwala.html
Latest Review: Living Abroad: Challenging the Myths of Expat Life by Jim Santos

Post by Sara chhawniwala »

I agree with the author. If a leader provides all the answers on a silver plate the followers will stop thinking. A true leader leads from the back not the front.
A true leader will inspire his/her followers to think and find their own answers in their own unique ways. It will also help the follower to adopt the answer in their life more meaningfully.
Pureader
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 5
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-pureader.html
Latest Review: Cat Boss by Tayma Tameem

Post by Pureader »

I don't agree with this. Inspiration is important, but if people are inspired but not guided things might not get done correctly or efficiently. A leader can both inspire and guide by being willing to do the same things that are expected of his followers.
Gemjay
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 23
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-gemjay.html
Latest Review: The Legacy of Job's Wife by Cynthia Koelker

Post by Gemjay »

I think that it's true that leaders should inspire and not guide their people. This is because everyone has their own path and inspiring them to be what they want to be is the best form of leadership rather than guiding them to be something else.
Honey -
Favorite Book: Fighting To Breathe
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 4
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-honey.html
Latest Review: Ironing by Navajo

Post by Honey - »

From my perspective, a leader should be able to provide the appropriate guidance at specific times. Setting proper guidance is essential as long as he or she is considerate of his or her followers, does not come across as an order, and does not force anyone against their will in unfair ways.
Latest Review: Ironing by Navajo
Miraphery
Favorite Book: Worldlines
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 33
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-miraphery.html
Latest Review: Kalayla by Jeannie Nicholas

Post by Miraphery »

A good leader should not only inspire but also guide his followers. Jesus guided people through the words he shared with them. I think what a leader should not do is to force his will on his followers.
Jydel
Favorite Book: Harry Potter and the Chamber of Secrets
Currently Reading: Diary of a wimpy kid
Bookshelf Size: 130
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-jydel.html
Latest Review: Deadly Waters: The Vietnam Naval War And Its Aftermath by Randy Miller

Post by Jydel »

I believe a good leader should guide and inspire their followers. When you guide as a leader, you give directions and this is important for followers to do the right thing. Inspiration will come from how you offer the guidance.
Sushan Ekanayake
Official Reviewer Representative
Currently Reading: My Wind Therapy
Bookshelf Size: 407
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-sushan-ekanayake.html
Latest Review: My Wind Therapy: Motorcycling Through A History of Child Abuse And Domestic Violence by Queen Five Star
Reading Device: B0794JC2K5

Post by Sushan Ekanayake »

B Creech wrote: 01 May 2021, 23:26
Sushan wrote: 01 May 2021, 00:10 "Even looking at our expert leader, Jesus, whose Word is life, we can see this lesson lived out. Jesus is not merely an itinerant preacher who directs our steps. He is a soul-stirrer who invites us to walk with Him. If our master, Jesus, leads us by walking with us and stirring us to discover, then these earthly leaders must learn to come alongside and help others discover their own best answers."
(Chapter 2, Page 9)

Most often we compare how a boss will treat his subordinates and how a leader will treat his followers. Upto now I had the idea that a leader should guide his/her followers. But this author has given leadership a new meaning claiming that it is not the leader's job to show the path and guide his/her followers towards a specific goal, but to inspire them to find their own answers and be their own guidance.

Do you agree with this 'job description' of a leader? If a leader is guiding his/her followers, will it make he/she a 'not so good' leader?
I agree with the author on this because I have seen it in action! Guiding your followers makes you an excellent leader.
One size doesn't fit all in this. Everyone has a different personality than someone else. You can't expect an introvert to approach things the way an extrovert does. You have to guide them and encourage them to find a way to accomplish a goal or do a job the way that is most comfortable for them to reach the desired outcome!
That is true. You have to understand your team and have to guide them accordingly. But what this author is suggesting is to inspire them rather than guiding them, and then they will find their own paths. But what I see is finding own paths is good for their own career development, but not for the pursuit of a common goal.
Ada Ling
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 21
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ada-ling.html
Latest Review: Catapulting Commissions by Anthony Garcia

Post by Ada Ling »

Bertha Jackson wrote: 01 May 2021, 22:56 Good leadership is a combination of guidance and inspiration. You have to show the way and set the example for them to follow.
Agree with this one. It is hard to separate these two. A leader needs to inspire people and show people how to do it. For the things people have not done before, they need some guidance.
Hiruni Hansika
Currently Reading: The Midnight Library
Bookshelf Size: 117
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-hiruni-hansika.html
Latest Review: Cynthia and Dan by Dorothy May Mercer

Post by Hiruni Hansika »

Both guidance and examplary character is needed. My spiritual leader is Lord Buddha. One of his qualities was he says as does and he does as he says. Also look at our parents. They does the same. That is how they create an imoact on us.
Sushan Ekanayake
Latest Review: My Wind Therapy: Motorcycling Through A History of Child Abuse And Domestic Violence by Queen Five Star

Michaeljerry309 wrote: 02 May 2021, 06:39 I believe a good leader must find a balance between inspiring his followers and guiding them because in the Bible after Jesus has lived with the disciples and they had been inspired by him, Jesus proceeded to send the Holy Spirit to guide them (keep in mind Jesus, the Holy Spirit and God Almighty are the same) because you need to make sure your followers have been inspired in the way you want them to go and have not misunderstood your teachings and then gets inspired in ways you never expected. Guidance involves keeping your followers motivated and helping to curb their excesses so inspiration alone is not enough, a good leader must also guide.
I am not going to comment on whether Jesus, holy spirit and the God are a one or a three.

I see your point. A leader can inspire his followers and take their potential out. But that potential needs to be moulded and guided towards a specific goal to achieve results. That is the task of a leader. Otherwise a group of experts won't need a leader, but they still do because they need someone to guide them.
Sushan Ekanayake

britcott30 wrote: 02 May 2021, 08:56 It is very hard to be a leader because I think a good leader has to show his/her example and also guide the followers so that they can be their own guidance.
Only a very few people of a group will be inspired enough by any sort of a leader to be on their own guidance and motivation till the final result. Many need to be reminded of their responsibilities and expected achievements. And that is why a leader is necessary for any group work, and also that is the reason for leadership not being an easy job.

Return to “Discuss " Fear Not, Dream Big, & Execute" by Jeff Meyer”