"A good leader should not guide his/her followers, but should inspire them". Do you agree?

Use this forum to discuss the May 2021 Book of the month, "Fear Not, Dream Big, & Execute: Tools To Spark Your Dream And Ignite Your Follow-Through" by Jeff Meyer.
Blessing Chi Peculiar
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 55
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-blessing-chi-peculiar.html
Latest Review: Maria Tunicka Conductor by James Aiello

Re: "A good leader should not guide his/her followers, but should inspire them". Do you agree?

Post by Blessing Chi Peculiar »

I totally disagree. Guidance is also one of the major qualities of a good leader. If you inspire your followers and you don't guide them they will make serious blunders that may even take their lives. I have many examples of this but time will fail me to list them.
Philosopher2022
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 18
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-philosopher2022.html
Latest Review: Fear Not, Dream Big, & Execute by Jeff Meyer

Post by Philosopher2022 »

I think inspiration is a form of guidance. I have heard a lot of people who inspire me talk and their words hit me so hard that i use them to direct myself though every challenge that comes my way. I wont let some that does not inspire me to guide me. Both inspiration and guidance must be in every good leader.
Online Concept
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 22
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ezel-dornelles.html
Latest Review: Zona: The Forbidden Land by Fred G. Baker

Post by Online Concept »

I think guiding and inspiring intertwine when it comes to leadership because inspiration can be a form of guidance to the followers.
Okonobe Chioma Chukwuma
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 30
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-okonobe-chioma-chukwuma.html
Latest Review: Devil Among Us by Jack Winnick

Post by Okonobe Chioma Chukwuma »

I disagree, a leader should guide and inspire his followers. those are some of the qualities of a good leader.
Park Cherri
Book of the Month Participant
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 64
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-park-cherri.html
Latest Review: The Eavesdropper by Peter Wise

Post by Park Cherri »

I disagree with this point. A leader is a leader because he has berm choosing to guide his followers through a path unknown to them. By guiding them, they wouldn’t make the mistake he might have made.
Jane Ogwang
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 132
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-jane-ogwang.html
Latest Review: Dr. Marsha and the Case of the Missing Marshmallows and Hotdogs by Dr. Rachel B. Wellner

Post by Jane Ogwang »

I totally agree. As the old saying goes, actions speak louder than words. People are more likely to respect and follow actions than just words.
Goody book
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 31
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-goody-book.html
Latest Review: Unicorns Know Magic by Charles Adkins

Post by Goody book »

I disagree a good leader should guide their followers. Mainly I think the leader character should be an inspiration to the followers so I think the best is to inspire them.
Flourish Sunday
In It Together VIP
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 32
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-flourish-sunday.html
Latest Review: 9 Rules to Dominate Your Money and Learn What 67% of Adults Don’t Know by Finley Lewis

Post by Flourish Sunday »

I disagree with this one specifically. A leader must be aware of what his or her supporters require. You could be motivated to take action, but you might get lost along the road.
To know how to get followers to cooperate as a team, a leader must also consider the type of followers they have. While some followers require leadership, others can manage on their own.
E Daves
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 104
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-e-daves.html
Latest Review: Zero the Hero! by Paul Gurgol

Post by E Daves »

In my opinion, there are leaders who guide, and there are others who inspires. A leader should be a combination of both. This is because you can inspire and motivate a person by the life you live. The individual will be pumped and hyped but will not know the steps to take. The individual will need guidance to be able to take action.
E Daves
Currently Reading:

Post by E Daves »

Being inspired only does not get dreams executed especially when the person does not have all the knowledge and resources to get the dream executed. That is where the guidance comes in.
E Daves
Currently Reading:

Post by E Daves »

I think inspiration is the first step, guidance is the next step. As a leader, inspiring your follower will bring them to their feet, ready to take action. Guidance will ensure they take the right actions to ensure that their dreams are executed.
E Daves
Currently Reading:

Post by E Daves »

Dzejn_Crvena wrote: 01 May 2021, 06:48 I disagree. I leader should also know what his/her followers need. You can be inspired to do things but feel lost along the way.
To me, it also depends on what kind of followers a leader has in order to know how to make them work together as a team. Some followers need guidance while the others are self-sufficient enough.
This is also true. It depends on the kind of followers the leader has. A follower who knows what to do but does not have the willingness to do them needs to be inspired to do the necessary things. On the other hand, a follower who does not even know what to do needs guidance.
E Daves
Currently Reading:

Post by E Daves »

Dzejn_Crvena wrote: 01 May 2021, 06:48 I disagree. I leader should also know what his/her followers need. You can be inspired to do things but feel lost along the way.
To me, it also depends on what kind of followers a leader has in order to know how to make them work together as a team. Some followers need guidance while the others are self-sufficient enough.
This is also true. It depends on the kind of followers the leader has. A follower who knows what to do but does not have the willingness to do them needs to be inspired to do the necessary things. On the other hand, a follower who does not even know what to do needs guidance.
E Daves
Currently Reading:

Post by E Daves »

Mindful Wordsmith wrote: 15 Jun 2021, 01:16 I think what the author really means by leadership is that a leader shouldn't be someone who thinks of himself as the only qualified and competent person in the room. A leader is someone who may not be as talented or intelligent as most of his followers but should possess the ability to graciously show people their strengths or weaknesses. This way he need not be a domineering figure who needs a cult following to get things done.
I understand the aspect you are coming from. I have a question about this though. If a leader is not as talented or intelligent as his/her followers, what then makes him/her a leader? What qualifies the individual to be a leader?
Success Azuka
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 35
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-success-azuka.html
Latest Review: McDowell by William H. Coles

Post by Success Azuka »

I don't agree. A leader to guide his/her followers and as well inspire them. The guide will push his/her followers to do more and with them, he/she can stand on their own.

Return to “Discuss " Fear Not, Dream Big, & Execute" by Jeff Meyer”