What do you think about the conversational writing style and the way that the book is presented?

Use this forum to discuss the May 2021 Book of the month, "Fear Not, Dream Big, & Execute: Tools To Spark Your Dream And Ignite Your Follow-Through" by Jeff Meyer.
Sushan Ekanayake
Official Reviewer Representative
Currently Reading: My Wind Therapy
Bookshelf Size: 407
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-sushan-ekanayake.html
Latest Review: My Wind Therapy: Motorcycling Through A History of Child Abuse And Domestic Violence by Queen Five Star
Reading Device: B0794JC2K5

What do you think about the conversational writing style and the way that the book is presented?

Post by Sushan Ekanayake »

"I have divided this book into two parts. One part is focused on discovering your dream (Dream Sparks). The other, on realizing the dream (Realization Strategies). Start wherever you find that you need the most support. If you are a discipline machine, but are not really sure where you are headed, start with Part 1. If you have a dream yet find it difficult to execute, go ahead and start with Part 2." (Location 47)

As the above quote says the author has organized this book in a way that the reader can customize his reading experience as per his need. It will prevent the reader from merely reading the book from page 01 to the end.

And also the author has included a section called "Try this" at the end of each chapter. With that he has invited the author as well as given him a way to practically apply what has been discussed in the chapter.

What do you think about this conversational presentation style? Is it the best way for this sort of a self-help book? Has it increased its value and its applicability as a self-help book?
Saint Bruno
Book of the Month Participant
Favorite Author: Agatha Christie
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 192
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-saint-bruno.html
Latest Review: The vampires missing cape by Steve Stables
fav_author_id: 2484

Post by Saint Bruno »

Of course! I think self-help books written in a conversational tone not only makes the book more engaging but makes the reader to grab the message in a more relaxed frame of mind. So this author's participatory approach is commendable.
Sushan Ekanayake
Latest Review: My Wind Therapy: Motorcycling Through A History of Child Abuse And Domestic Violence by Queen Five Star

Saint Bruno wrote: 01 May 2021, 00:49 Of course! I think self-help books written in a conversational tone not only makes the book more engaging but makes the reader to grab the message in a more relaxed frame of mind. So this author's participatory approach is commendable.
That is a nice word, "participatory approach". It is proven in studying that active learning is more effective than passive learning. Here the author has done a similar thing. He has let the reader to actively participate in his lessons, which is a very good approach.
yomide
Currently Reading: We are voulhire
Bookshelf Size: 46
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-yomide.html
Latest Review: The Scarlet Queen: by Mitch Reinhardt

Post by yomide »

A conversational approach is indeed the best way to communicate with the reader of a selfhelp book. I especially think the 'try this' section is a most very good attempt at conversing with the reader. In short, the writing style a great approach.
There is no point in trying to please a person who doesn't apreciate me. Besides, why do I have to try and please anyone in the first place?
Marcel Cantu
Currently Reading: Under Another Sun
Bookshelf Size: 42
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-marcel-cantu.html
Latest Review: Elizabeth's Garden by Phillip Leighton-Daly

Post by Marcel Cantu »

Sushan wrote: 01 May 2021, 00:09 "I have divided this book into two parts. One part is focused on discovering your dream (Dream Sparks). The other, on realizing the dream (Realization Strategies). Start wherever you find that you need the most support. If you are a discipline machine, but are not really sure where you are headed, start with Part 1. If you have a dream yet find it difficult to execute, go ahead and start with Part 2." (Location 47)

As the above quote says the author has organized this book in a way that the reader can customize his reading experience as per his need. It will prevent the reader from merely reading the book from page 01 to the end.

And also the author has included a section called "Try this" at the end of each chapter. With that he has invited the author as well as given him a way to practically apply what has been discussed in the chapter.

What do you think about this conversational presentation style? Is it the best way for this sort of a self-help book? Has it increased its value and its applicability as a self-help book?

I think the conversational style makes it much more entangling and personal. I think it is a great way to do a self-help book because it is intimate and sounds like advice.
Sushan Ekanayake

yomide wrote: 01 May 2021, 05:56 A conversational approach is indeed the best way to communicate with the reader of a selfhelp book. I especially think the 'try this' section is a most very good attempt at conversing with the reader. In short, the writing style a great approach.
I agree. 'Try this' section should be given credit for it being a unique feature which is not usually seen in this sort of books, and because how it invites the reader to practically apply the theories explained in the book.

A book can be written in a conversational style. Yet, this 'Try this' section has enhanced that conversational quality.
Sushan Ekanayake

Marcel Cantu wrote: 01 May 2021, 07:46
Sushan wrote: 01 May 2021, 00:09 "I have divided this book into two parts. One part is focused on discovering your dream (Dream Sparks). The other, on realizing the dream (Realization Strategies). Start wherever you find that you need the most support. If you are a discipline machine, but are not really sure where you are headed, start with Part 1. If you have a dream yet find it difficult to execute, go ahead and start with Part 2." (Location 47)

I think the conversational style makes it much more entangling and personal. I think it is a great way to do a self-help book because it is intimate and sounds like advice.
That is a great point. An author can point out many research details and write a self-help book in the form of a research paper. But the reader won't feel like getting advice from such a book, but only like reading a research article. As far as I believe, a self-help book should break this barrier and get close as far as possible to the reader. For that to happen this conversational writing style is really useful.
Goral
Currently Reading: A Brief History of Time
Bookshelf Size: 25
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-goral.html
Latest Review: Worldlines by Adam Guest

Post by Goral »

I do believe that the conversational style and the approach of the author makes it easier for readers to read the book. It will have a much better effect than other self help books as there is a wider field of choice and as you said, the reader does not have to merely read the book from page 1 to the end.
You can't buy happiness but you can buy books, and that's kind of the same thing
WADonnelly
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 15
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-wadonnelly.html
Latest Review: The Unbound Soul by Richard L. Haight

Post by WADonnelly »

Personally, I like when self-help books are written with a conversational style as it makes it easy to follow and it is far easier to drop in and out of various parts of the book. Being about to read the book in whatever order the reader desires is also a great way to meet a range of readers needs.
Gabrielle Sigaki
Currently Reading: Business Basics BootCamp
Bookshelf Size: 279
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-gabrielle-sigaki.html
Latest Review: Zona: The Forbidden Land by Fred G. Baker

Post by Gabrielle Sigaki »

Actually, my favorite aspect of this book was that "Try This" section. The conversational presentation style was something that really caught my attention when I read it. It makes the book a lot more interactive and practical too. I enjoyed it.
Karmon Kuhn
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 13
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-karmon-kuhn.html
Latest Review: Natural Relief for Anxiety and Stress by Gustavo Kinrys, MD

Post by Karmon Kuhn »

I appreciate this writing style that's part memoir, part self-help. Personally I enjoy reading about author's personal experiences as almost parables that exemplify the lessons that the reader is supposed to take away. I think that adds a lot of depth in meaning to the themes. I also think that the conversational and personal style of the author's writing helps establish him as an expert in his own way.
Yvonne Monique
Favorite Book: To Sleep in a Sea of Stars
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 102
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-yvonne-monique.html
Latest Review: Healing Depression by C. Daley

Post by Yvonne Monique »

I like the fact that the book does not need to be readed in a specific order, but that the reader can choose to read the parts that he/she is interested in most. The conversational writing style also helps to engage the reader and make it easier to absorb the book's content.
Chizioboli
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 37
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-chizioboli.html
Latest Review: Pastoring is Not What You Think by Elijah Oladimeji

Post by Chizioboli »

His use of conversational style is appropriate. This is because, this type of self help book requires that the reader feels as if he is in a motivation session. The reader would get a quick feel of the author's message and begin implementation immediately. Unlike other basic styles of writing, the author doesn't read the book just to achieve a reading goal, he reads to have an impactful life.
Sekhmet September
Favorite Author: Tanith Lee
Currently Reading: Stranded In The Wild
Bookshelf Size: 74
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-sekhmet-september.html
Latest Review: Heartaches 2 by H.M. Irwing
fav_author_id: 10199

Post by Sekhmet September »

I like that the author chose to write in a conversational style. It seems like the book would have been much more difficult to write (and for the reader to understand) of it had been written more as an argumentative piece, or otherwise. It definetly suits the subject and the author's style.
Faith is the confidence that what we hope for will actually happen; it gives us assurance about things we cannot see.
Hebrews 11 1 NIV
Sushan Ekanayake

Goral wrote: 02 May 2021, 01:48 I do believe that the conversational style and the approach of the author makes it easier for readers to read the book. It will have a much better effect than other self help books as there is a wider field of choice and as you said, the reader does not have to merely read the book from page 1 to the end.
'No need to read this from start to end' was the best feature that I noticed. If you don't like the book much, you don't have to struggle to finish it but still you can learn what you need. I think this should be adopted by other self-help books as well.

Return to “Discuss " Fear Not, Dream Big, & Execute" by Jeff Meyer”