Discouragement and distraction are production killers, agree or disagree?

Use this forum to discuss the May 2021 Book of the month, "Fear Not, Dream Big, & Execute: Tools To Spark Your Dream And Ignite Your Follow-Through" by Jeff Meyer.
cd20
Favorite Book: Hope Between the Pages
Currently Reading: Growing Slow: Lessons on Un-Hurrying Your Heart from an Accidental Farm Girl
Bookshelf Size: 823
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-cd20.html
Latest Review: Now Unto Him by Melissa Huggins
Reading Device: B00IKPYKWG

Re: Discouragement and distraction are production killers, agree or disagree?

Post by cd20 »

Anjali Kushwah 1 wrote: 17 Jun 2021, 22:43 I agree and relate to it too . Distractions are the major obstacles in the path of your dreams and success. One who overcomes them and stays motivated reach to their goals. People discourage others seeing their growth but if you are self motivated nothing can break or stop you from achieving your goals.
I think they both can be production killers, but for me, discouragement is the one that usually leaves me not wanting to do anything. I can work through a lot of distractions, I have had to learn to do that, otherwise, I would never get anything done. Thank you for sharing your thoughts.
Real life is dreadfully tedious, the way it interrupts reading. -Things We Didn't Say by Amy Lynn Green
cd20
Currently Reading: Growing Slow: Lessons on Un-Hurrying Your Heart from an Accidental Farm Girl

Post by cd20 »

NISSE wrote: 17 Jun 2021, 23:31 I agree on what the author tries to emphasize in this instance. Basically, demotivation is one of the major productivity killers as it impacts our ability to keep focusing on the process. Many of us do not like rejections and set backs as it hurt us and feel emotionally. Distraction takes place in several forms. It can be because of the surrounding or the social media.
I would agree that lack of motivation is a productivity killer. Usually, for me, discouragement is more of a productivity killer than distractions are, depending on the distraction. Thank you for sharing your thoughts.
Real life is dreadfully tedious, the way it interrupts reading. -Things We Didn't Say by Amy Lynn Green
cd20

Post by cd20 »

KarFulMar wrote: 18 Jun 2021, 04:35 I do agree that discouragement and distraction can be production killers, however, I also have to a realistic approach as well. A positive attitude does have it’s place, but it will only get you so far. There, unfortunately, will always be distractions. And it’s not always possible to surround ourselves with only positive people. For this reason, we need to learn how to rise above both. We need to train ourselves to be productive irregardless of what life throws our way. And that’s something I feel so many self-help books fail to recognize.
I agree that there needs to be a realistic approach as well. We do need to learn to work around what discourages and distracts us. We need to recognize our boundaries and limitations. I also agree that self-help books do fail to recognize that we need to learn to rise above things and be able to focus. It is an important life skill. Thank you for sharing your thoughts.
cd20

Post by cd20 »

Mimi Kenneth wrote: 18 Jun 2021, 04:45 I agree, a good mindset is needed to achieve a dream and discouragement and distraction doesn't build a go mind set, for there's a need to have all the resources to achieve a dream and there's another to think 'I can do it'
No, discouragement and distractions are not a "go" mindset. Even having the mindset "I can do it," doesn't always help. Sometimes you just have to make yourself do what needs to be done, regardless of your discouragement and distractions. Thank you for sharing your thoughts.
ROSEY-ANN
Favorite Book: Winning the War on Cancer
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 65
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-roseyann.html
Latest Review: Building A Coaching Culture by Andreas Von Der Heydt

Post by ROSEY-ANN »

cd20 wrote: 20 May 2021, 14:57 In chapter 21, Jeff states that "Discouragement and distraction are production killers." He goes on to say, "I have found that the proper mindset and appropriate life-giving habits must be integrated into my daily life rhythms if I want to succeed." Do you agree or disagree with this? Why?
I think distraction and discouragement can be production killers if you allow them to. Not everyone reacts to things in the same way. You can train your mind to deal with distractions and discouragement.
cd20

Post by cd20 »

ROSEYANN wrote: 18 Jun 2021, 22:12
cd20 wrote: 20 May 2021, 14:57 In chapter 21, Jeff states that "Discouragement and distraction are production killers." He goes on to say, "I have found that the proper mindset and appropriate life-giving habits must be integrated into my daily life rhythms if I want to succeed." Do you agree or disagree with this? Why?
I think distraction and discouragement can be production killers if you allow them to. Not everyone reacts to things in the same way. You can train your mind to deal with distractions and discouragement.
I agree, we do all react differently to distractions and discouragement. For me, discouragement does make me lose productivity. Distractions depend on what the distraction is and how long it lasts. Thank you for sharing your thoughts.
Vishnu Priya B
Currently Reading: The Unwanted Guest
Bookshelf Size: 20
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-vishnu-priya-b.html
Latest Review: A Walk Through the Grapes by David Jackson

Post by Vishnu Priya B »

I completely agree. I've experienced far many times that discouragement kills my productivity. As for distraction, it's obvious. You need to stay focused to achieve your dreams and goals.
cd20

Post by cd20 »

Vishnu Priya B wrote: 20 Jun 2021, 13:57 I completely agree. I've experienced far many times that discouragement kills my productivity. As for distraction, it's obvious. You need to stay focused to achieve your dreams and goals.
I also feel that discouragements hit me harder than distractions. It is really easy for me to want to give up when I am discouraged, whereas if I am distracted I can usually shift my focus back to the task on hand. Thank you for sharing your thoughts .
Chinecherem A
Currently Reading: Alwyn And June Crawshaw's Outdoor Painting Course
Bookshelf Size: 13
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-chinecherem-a.html
Latest Review: Fragments by Bruce K. Berger

Post by Chinecherem A »

Agree. It's obvious that not staying in track will have a negative effect on our journey to success. Getting distracted by things that do not add to our progress will show us down significantly. Also, having a pessimistic mindset or being with people who discourage will dampen our efforts. We need good habits to be productive.
Sharill Rasowo
In It Together VIP
Currently Reading: Worldlines
Bookshelf Size: 210
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-sharill-rasowo.html
Latest Review: Kalayla by Jeannie Nicholas

Post by Sharill Rasowo »

I agree with the author based on my own experience. I have in the past been passionate about a project only to have others discourage me by mentioning all the things that could go wrong. Ironically, those who discouraged me were often well-meaning people who were offering their sincere advice as they cared about me. To counter this, I often keep projects to myself until I am sure I can defend it to others. When it comes to distraction it is usually in the form of electronic devices like phones and laptops. I counter this by having set times when I only concentrate on one thing.
JB3
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 34
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-jb3.html
Latest Review: Shadow Game by A.M. Adair

Post by JB3 »

I agree as they detract from what your goal is. I think that taking breaks is important to both relax and refresh the brain as well as to prevent disouragement.
cd20

Post by cd20 »

Chinecherem A wrote: 24 Jun 2021, 11:47 Agree. It's obvious that not staying in track will have a negative effect on our journey to success. Getting distracted by things that do not add to our progress will show us down significantly. Also, having a pessimistic mindset or being with people who discourage will dampen our efforts. We need good habits to be productive.
I agree that not staying on track will have negative effects on our journey. Getting distracted does slow us down and being pessimistic doesn't help anything. We do need to have good habits and plans in place to avoid discouragement and distractions. Thank you for sharing your thoughts.
cd20

Post by cd20 »

Cher432 wrote: 24 Jun 2021, 14:33 I agree with the author based on my own experience. I have in the past been passionate about a project only to have others discourage me by mentioning all the things that could go wrong. Ironically, those who discouraged me were often well-meaning people who were offering their sincere advice as they cared about me. To counter this, I often keep projects to myself until I am sure I can defend it to others. When it comes to distraction it is usually in the form of electronic devices like phones and laptops. I counter this by having set times when I only concentrate on one thing.
It is awful when someone discourages us without meaning to. I think it is a great idea to have times set aside where you only concentrate on one thing. In an ideal world that will work. Thank you for sharing your thoughts.
cd20

Post by cd20 »

Amit Gurman wrote: 24 Jun 2021, 18:29 I would agree with this statement. Productivity is doing what you believe needs to be done. Things that distract you from accomplishing any of your goals are obviously holding you back from being productive. Discouragement acts in the same way, deterring you from accomplishing whatever goal you set out to do. Having the right mindset going into your day can totally be extremely beneficial in accomplishing whatever goal you set out to do.
I agree. Things that distract and discourage us do hold us off from accomplishing our goals. It is good to have a positive mindset and goals to help us minimize our distractions and discouragement. Thank you for sharing your thoughts.
cd20

Post by cd20 »

JB3 wrote: 25 Jun 2021, 02:06 I agree as they detract from what your goal is. I think that taking breaks is important to both relax and refresh the brain as well as to prevent disouragement.
I think breaks are a wonderful thing and you should take them as often as you can get them. The reality is that most of us do not get them as often as we need them and that leads to burnout and discouragement. Thank you for sharing your thoughts.

Return to “Discuss " Fear Not, Dream Big, & Execute" by Jeff Meyer”