Meaning of life

Use this forum to discuss the April 2021 Book of the month, "There's a Rooster in My Bathroom: A Quest for Meaning in the Bathroom, the Boardroom and Beyond" by Trish Ostroski.
Sidi_254
Currently Reading: Kalayla
Bookshelf Size: 13
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-sidi-254.html
Latest Review: Ironing by Navajo

Re: Meaning of life

Post by Sidi_254 »

I believe we live to leave a legacy behind when we are gone. Also there's no harm in having fun while we are here.
Latest Review: Ironing by Navajo
Sekhmet September
Favorite Author: Tanith Lee
Currently Reading: Stranded In The Wild
Bookshelf Size: 74
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-sekhmet-september.html
Latest Review: Heartaches 2 by H.M. Irwing
fav_author_id: 10199

Post by Sekhmet September »

I agree that the purpose of life is to create. Or rather, defy entropy. Everything in the universe is subject to entropy (decay), and in order for us all to continue there must be a creative counter balance to this decay. This is the creative force.
Faith is the confidence that what we hope for will actually happen; it gives us assurance about things we cannot see.
Hebrews 11 1 NIV
cd20
Favorite Book: Hope Between the Pages
Currently Reading: Growing Slow: Lessons on Un-Hurrying Your Heart from an Accidental Farm Girl
Bookshelf Size: 823
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-cd20.html
Latest Review: Now Unto Him by Melissa Huggins
Reading Device: B00IKPYKWG

Post by cd20 »

Sidi_254 wrote: 30 Apr 2021, 01:25 I believe we live to leave a legacy behind when we are gone. Also there's no harm in having fun while we are here.
I hope we live a life that is worthy of leaving a legacy behind when we are gone. I do not see the harm in having fun while we are here, but I do not believe that our purpose is to only have fun. I do believe that part of our meaning of life is to create, as the author indicates. Thank you for sharing your opinions.
Real life is dreadfully tedious, the way it interrupts reading. -Things We Didn't Say by Amy Lynn Green
cd20
Currently Reading: Growing Slow: Lessons on Un-Hurrying Your Heart from an Accidental Farm Girl

Post by cd20 »

Sekhmet September wrote: 30 Apr 2021, 01:40 I agree that the purpose of life is to create. Or rather, defy entropy. Everything in the universe is subject to entropy (decay), and in order for us all to continue there must be a creative counter balance to this decay. This is the creative force.
That is an interesting perspective, thank you for sharing. I also believe that part of our meaning of life is to create. And, unfortunately, we are all subject to decay. Thank you for sharing your perspective.
Real life is dreadfully tedious, the way it interrupts reading. -Things We Didn't Say by Amy Lynn Green
kdstrack
Previous Member of the Month
Currently Reading: The Savior
Bookshelf Size: 530
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kdstrack.html
Latest Review: How To Be Successful by M. Curtis McCoy

Post by kdstrack »

I think the meaning of life is to know the Creator. None of us chooses to come into the world. Once we are here, we long for a purpose and direction in life. Knowing why we are here gives us a purpose - then we can create!
El_limitless
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 67
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-el-limitless.html
Latest Review: Public Hostage Public Ransom by William Bronston MD

Post by El_limitless »

I agree with the author, the essence of life is to create; to create lasting impact, to create happiness, to create a better life for the next generation.
cd20

Post by cd20 »

kdstrack wrote: 30 Apr 2021, 22:06 I think the meaning of life is to know the Creator. None of us chooses to come into the world. Once we are here, we long for a purpose and direction in life. Knowing why we are here gives us a purpose - then we can create!
Thank you for sharing your thoughts! I agree, none of us choose to come into the world and we do long for a purpose and direction. I agree too, that we are to know the Creator.
cd20

Post by cd20 »

El_limitless wrote: 01 May 2021, 00:06 I agree with the author, the essence of life is to create; to create lasting impact, to create happiness, to create a better life for the next generation.
Yes, when I first read it, I wasn't so sure, but we are constantly creating stuff. We are to create a lasting impact and hopefully leave a better life for the next generation. Thank you for sharing your thoughts.
Cynthia Olyy
Currently Reading: The Prodigy Slave, Book One: Journey to Winter Garden
Bookshelf Size: 62
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-cynthia-olyy.html
Latest Review: A Dream For Peace by Dr. Ghoulem Berrah

Post by Cynthia Olyy »

I strongly agree with this opinion. Even when we assert that life should be engaged with activities that please us, no matter what they are, we fail to recognize that these activities, directly or indirectly, tend towards creation. We, at one point or another, are in the creation process—for either value, time, money, or life.
Kashyap Shukla
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 4

Post by Kashyap Shukla »

Honestly stating that meaning of life is to create is ambiguous. Humans are complex beings but we all share a common virtue that is humanity. The compassion we have for other beings and organisms is found nowhere else. Humanity defines us. The ultimate meaning of life is to continue the practice of humanity in society. We don’t need ultramodern cars or trains or luxurious houses but what we need is someone to talk,someone to laugh out loud with,someone to share pain, someone you can rely upon. We need humans to strive and survive. So I would disagree with author on thought that meaning of life is to create,it is rather to live as a HUMAN, a human with bountiful of humanity inside him.
cd20

Post by cd20 »

Cynthia Olyy wrote: 01 May 2021, 07:55 I strongly agree with this opinion. Even when we assert that life should be engaged with activities that please us, no matter what they are, we fail to recognize that these activities, directly or indirectly, tend towards creation. We, at one point or another, are in the creation process—for either value, time, money, or life.
Yes, that is true. It is funny because since we have started this topic, I am seeing different thoughts on creating everywhere! Thank you for sharing your thoughts :)
cd20

Post by cd20 »

Kashyap Shukla wrote: 01 May 2021, 09:13 Honestly stating that meaning of life is to create is ambiguous. Humans are complex beings but we all share a common virtue that is humanity. The compassion we have for other beings and organisms is found nowhere else. Humanity defines us. The ultimate meaning of life is to continue the practice of humanity in society. We don’t need ultramodern cars or trains or luxurious houses but what we need is someone to talk,someone to laugh out loud with,someone to share pain, someone you can rely upon. We need humans to strive and survive. So I would disagree with author on thought that meaning of life is to create,it is rather to live as a HUMAN, a human with bountiful of humanity inside him.
While I can agree that we all share a common virtue that we are human, there is so much more to us than that. We are constantly creating, thoughts, memories, space for things we love to do, posts such as these, emails, texts, ideas, and so much more. I agree that we do not need ultramodern cars and other things, but we cannot exist without creating. It is literally impossible. Thank you for sharing your thoughts.
AvidBibliophile
Previous Member of the Month
Currently Reading: Gold Digger
Bookshelf Size: 480
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-avidbibliophile.html
Latest Review: How I Became Santa Clause by Chris Kringle

Post by AvidBibliophile »

I think we create our own realities. A sense of purpose is an individually subjective mindset. The only person we have to answer to is ourself, and any meaningful sense of fulfillment comes from our own unique collection of experiences. While some souls are called to give back or volunteer, others may find motivational empowerment through raising families or “creating jobs” through entrepreneurial startups. If creation is defined by a collection of contributions, then our mere existence triggers an appearance of outcomes that weren’t previously present. Life inherently is creation.
Reema Aydieh
Currently Reading: Everyone in My Family Has Killed Someone
Bookshelf Size: 111
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-reema-aydieh.html
Latest Review: Terms of Service by Craig W. Stanfill

Post by Reema Aydieh »

Life means different things to people. Creating might be the meaning to artists and creative people. Others might not see it as fitting.
“Just keep swimming.”
Joyful17
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 126
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-k17.html
Latest Review: Diary of a Talking (war) Dog by Daniel Tierney

Post by Joyful17 »

I believe that is the author's viewpoint which I don't quite agree with. In life, creating can make living more interesting but I believe that there are other important purposes in life.

Return to “Discuss "There's a Rooster in My Bathroom" by Trish Ostroski”