Meaning of life

Use this forum to discuss the April 2021 Book of the month, "There's a Rooster in My Bathroom: A Quest for Meaning in the Bathroom, the Boardroom and Beyond" by Trish Ostroski.
MayorE
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 24
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-mayore.html
Latest Review: Remarkably Intact by Celia Belt

Re: Meaning of life

Post by MayorE »

It depends on which point of view you look at it. Christians believe that the meaning of life is to create because not only did God create life using the six days of creation but it is believed that it was also stated: “go into the world and multiply”. This means creating more life. But Jon religious believers may see more to life than just creating more lives. They might just want to live and find happiness and their purpose. And that's the meaning of life to them.
cd20
Favorite Book: Hope Between the Pages
Currently Reading: Growing Slow: Lessons on Un-Hurrying Your Heart from an Accidental Farm Girl
Bookshelf Size: 823
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-cd20.html
Latest Review: Now Unto Him by Melissa Huggins
Reading Device: B00IKPYKWG

Post by cd20 »

MayorE wrote: 26 Apr 2021, 23:34 It depends on which point of view you look at it. Christians believe that the meaning of life is to create because not only did God create life using the six days of creation but it is believed that it was also stated: “go into the world and multiply”. This means creating more life. But Jon religious believers may see more to life than just creating more lives. They might just want to live and find happiness and their purpose. And that's the meaning of life to them.
I do not believe the author meant "create" just in the sense of procreating. While I agree that some Christians might think it means that, I am a Christian and I see it as so much more. As other people here have stated, we are constantly creating, memories, books, letters, etc., I think creating is part of the meaning for why we are here, but not the whole meaning. Finding our purpose is also part of why we are here and then living it out. I want to live my life and enjoy happiness too, but I don't think that means I can't also create and live my purpose. Living my life should include my purpose. Thanks for sharing your thoughts.
Real life is dreadfully tedious, the way it interrupts reading. -Things We Didn't Say by Amy Lynn Green
Adhithya K R
Favorite Author: Haruki Murakami
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 22
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-adhithya-k-r.html
Latest Review: Gringo by Dan "Tito" Davis
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU
fav_author_id: 2566

Post by Adhithya K R »

Jessica Harrison 1 wrote: 03 Apr 2021, 11:46
cd20 wrote: 03 Apr 2021, 08:46
Michaeljerry309 wrote: 03 Apr 2021, 02:11 To be very honest, iv always believed that the purpose of life is simply to live and what you choose to do while living is up to you and not up to any external forces. So I don’t agree with Trish Ostroski but I do see her point and I understand it but it wasn’t convincing enough to win me over. I enjoyed There’s a Rooster in My Bathroom nontheless.
That's an interesting perspective, obviously, we are to live our lives, but isn't there, or shouldn't there be more than that? What is the point of living our lives? To live it well? Or make an impact? Or just to live it?
I don't think there necessarily is a big giant meaning to everything in life, or life itself. But I think that kind of makes it fun? We have free agency to choose what we want to do with our lives! That's what makes it exciting- the endless opportunities.
Exactly! The assumption that life has one over-arching meaning is probably a fiction that has been created to satisfy our desire for stories. As Camus said, the absence of one meaning lets us create meaning for ourselves. This meaning could change over time.
Adhithya K R
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 22
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-adhithya-k-r.html
Latest Review: Gringo by Dan "Tito" Davis
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU

Post by Adhithya K R »

Noda21k wrote: 03 Apr 2021, 21:41 I agree with the author, but only if we don't use the most literal definition of "create." Some would take that to mean we must procreate or we must create something solid. I don't think that is the case. I think that if we even just create happiness in others, that's the meaning of life. You don't have to create something tangible, you just have to affect one other person's life.
Yes, I agree with you. By influencing the life of even one other person, we create an impact that outlives us.

'Whoever Saves One Life, Save The World Entire.'' - Oskar Schindler, from Schindler's List
OB Brian
Currently Reading: Shame Off You
Bookshelf Size: 193
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ob-brian.html
Latest Review: Donny and Mary Grace's California Adventure by Catherine A. Pepe

Post by OB Brian »

markodim721 wrote: 03 Apr 2021, 07:59 I agree with the author, that the meaning of life is to create. It is up to man to influence his environment and change it according to his needs.
And when destroying the environment is the change that suits his needs? What if we create man's destroyer? I think there is more to life than creating. For instance, nurturing our creations to be productive to the World.
Ayodeji Ola
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 11
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ayodeji-ola.html
Latest Review: Rulers of the Galaxy by Tayma Tameem

Post by Ayodeji Ola »

I think the author is spot on. We are all like pencils with different notepads. We write our own stories and determine our path. Sure, there are surprises, but that's just how it is. No one has it all figured out. In fact, looking at it from the perspective of religion (or Christianity if you like), life is impossible to figure out completely. SO, JUST LIVE!
cd20
Currently Reading: Growing Slow: Lessons on Un-Hurrying Your Heart from an Accidental Farm Girl

Post by cd20 »

OB Brian wrote: 28 Apr 2021, 06:53
markodim721 wrote: 03 Apr 2021, 07:59 I agree with the author, that the meaning of life is to create. It is up to man to influence his environment and change it according to his needs.
And when destroying the environment is the change that suits his needs? What if we create man's destroyer? I think there is more to life than creating. For instance, nurturing our creations to be productive to the World.
OB Brian, you bring up excellent points! I also agree that there is more to life than just creating. I do believe we should be nurturing the creations around us, and being productive in the world. Thank you for bringing up these points.
Real life is dreadfully tedious, the way it interrupts reading. -Things We Didn't Say by Amy Lynn Green
cd20

Post by cd20 »

Ayodeji Ola wrote: 28 Apr 2021, 08:36 I think the author is spot on. We are all like pencils with different notepads. We write our own stories and determine our path. Sure, there are surprises, but that's just how it is. No one has it all figured out. In fact, looking at it from the perspective of religion (or Christianity if you like), life is impossible to figure out completely. SO, JUST LIVE!
I like your analogy, "We are all like pencils with different notepads." That is a very interesting and valid point. I also agree that no one has it all figured out, we are all on a journey, but my path is different from yours. I agree we should live our lives, but I believe we should live them in a way to make the world better, serving others, and not just living to please ourselves. Thank you for sharing your thoughts.
markodim721
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 482
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-markodim721.html
Latest Review: The Solution is Political Revolution by Jillion R Rising

Post by markodim721 »

OB Brian wrote: 28 Apr 2021, 06:53
You misunderstood me. I have never said that I mean human intervention exclusively in the material world.
Suzer6440 xyz
Favorite Book: Pearl River Mansion
Currently Reading: Five Total Strangers
Bookshelf Size: 201
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-suzer6440-xyz.html
Latest Review: The Maestro Monologue by Rob White

Post by Suzer6440 xyz »

The meaning of life takes on many answers in my head.... To create is only one meaning of life, weather it be to create life or to create happiness. We have a freedom from suffering
angelanikkicea
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 64
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-angelanikkicea.html
Latest Review: Sex and the Sixty Something Guy by Mr. X

Post by angelanikkicea »

Yes, I agree with the idea that we should live to create. I don't think this pertains to giving birth or having a child. What this means to me is to create something out of our own interests and passion in life. We create our own ambitions, and we also create a contribution to our society.
cd20

Post by cd20 »

Suzer6440 xyz wrote: 28 Apr 2021, 21:56 The meaning of life takes on many answers in my head.... To create is only one meaning of life, weather it be to create life or to create happiness. We have a freedom from suffering
I think we can see from all the different posts on this topic that not everyone has the same thoughts on creating. I agree that to create is one meaning of life and what we create and how we create it are subjective. I do not necessarily agree that we have freedom from suffering, suffering is a part of life. Thanks for sharing your thoughts.
cd20

Post by cd20 »

nikkiloveskiwi wrote: 29 Apr 2021, 03:55 Yes, I agree with the idea that we should live to create. I don't think this pertains to giving birth or having a child. What this means to me is to create something out of our own interests and passion in life. We create our own ambitions, and we also create a contribution to our society.
I think that part of our meaning of life is to create, but that is not our whole purpose. Everyone on this forum has differing opinions on what it actually means to create. I agree that it is not just creating life, but other things as well. Thank you for sharing you opinions.
Bhuvana Subramanyam
Favorite Book: Lady Smoke
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 20
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-bhuvana-subramanyam.html
Latest Review: Flat Top Mountain Ranch -- the beginning by James E Doucette

Post by Bhuvana Subramanyam »

I agree with the author. We can find a purpose in our life by creating something new. We can always create a new perspective of life in tough times so that we can embrace it and learn something from it!
cd20

Post by cd20 »

Bhuvana Subramanyam wrote: 29 Apr 2021, 11:44 I agree with the author. We can find a purpose in our life by creating something new. We can always create a new perspective of life in tough times so that we can embrace it and learn something from it!
Ah, thank you for adding something new to this discussion! I love it! Yes, we can always create a new perspective and I had not thought about it like that! Thank you for sharing your thoughts.

Return to “Discuss "There's a Rooster in My Bathroom" by Trish Ostroski”