Meaning of life

Use this forum to discuss the April 2021 Book of the month, "There's a Rooster in My Bathroom: A Quest for Meaning in the Bathroom, the Boardroom and Beyond" by Trish Ostroski.
Sasha_100
Favorite Author: Robert Louis Stevenson
Currently Reading: City of Ghosts
Bookshelf Size: 71
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-sasha-100.html
Latest Review: Heroes of Atlantis by Ryan Carriere
fav_author_id: 2502

Re: Meaning of life

Post by Sasha_100 »

In a sense yes. We create a livelihood which we can't survive without, for physical needs and we create a relationships to satisfy our mental needs.

We just can't sit still without doing any single thing at all.

So I do agree.
Sohana Hasan
Favorite Author: Sarah J. Maas
Favorite Book: shadow and bones
Currently Reading: The Beautiful
Bookshelf Size: 37
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-sohana-hasan.html
Latest Review: Waterworks by Jack Winnick
fav_author_id: 2719

Post by Sohana Hasan »

cd20 wrote: 09 Jun 2021, 14:32
Sohana Hasan wrote: 09 Jun 2021, 08:53
cd20 wrote: 08 Jun 2021, 13:54

Wow, thank you for bringing such a deep and different perspective to this discussion. I obviously have no answer for that :lol2: but it is very thought-provoking! I do believe that part of our meaning of life is to create, in part of creating memories, that will help to keep us alive, right?! Thanks for sharing your thoughts.
I love that! Our lives are often defined by the stories we have and the memories we've made. I would just like to add that this probably includes negatives, as well as positives. Bad memories are just as important as good ones. And people who've done terrible things are still notorious and immortalized in history.
I completely agree! We learn not to do certain things by all the people in history who have done terrible things! I think in our creating, we need to be our "best" selves, and I think it is important to reflect on what we want to be remembered for. Thanks again for the great discussion.
You're welcome! I love looking at things from a new perspective, and "life" can be a pretty ambiguous term.
cd20
Favorite Book: Hope Between the Pages
Currently Reading: Growing Slow: Lessons on Un-Hurrying Your Heart from an Accidental Farm Girl
Bookshelf Size: 823
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-cd20.html
Latest Review: Now Unto Him by Melissa Huggins
Reading Device: B00IKPYKWG

Post by cd20 »

Sasha_100 wrote: 09 Jun 2021, 20:02 In a sense yes. We create a livelihood which we can't survive without, for physical needs and we create a relationships to satisfy our mental needs.

We just can't sit still without doing any single thing at all.

So I do agree.
Yes, I cannot see life without some kind of creating. It seems like we are constantly creating something. Thank you for stopping by and sharing your thoughts.
Real life is dreadfully tedious, the way it interrupts reading. -Things We Didn't Say by Amy Lynn Green
Kathryn Collins
Favorite Author: Mark Leon Collins
Currently Reading: Inquirer's Bible
Bookshelf Size: 25
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kathryn-collins.html
Latest Review: Poems About Things That Mattered Most by Bob Dowell
fav_author_id: 196676

Post by Kathryn Collins »

cd20 wrote: 02 Apr 2021, 14:33 The author states that the meaning of life is to create. Do you agree with this, why or why not? As an interesting aside she also uses the six days of creation (discussed in last month's book forum) as an example of how God created in six days.
I believe that the meaning of life is to honor God, our Creator, and to be a witness of Who He is to others.
I am one who believes in 6 literal days of creation.
As for creating, I see God as the Creator and am not comfortable with inscribing that term to myself.
Chukwuebuka Ifedigbo
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 32
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-chukwuebuka-ifedigbo.html
Latest Review: Fear Not, Dream Big, & Execute by Jeff Meyer

Post by Chukwuebuka Ifedigbo »

Honestly, I must admit that I enjoyed reading this fascinating piece of art. Creation is the reason for our existence today. Without fresh innovations and procreation, the world will be empty and meaningless. Creation is what guarantees our sustenance as humans. Thus, it is our responsibility to ensure that in whatever we do, we influence our environment and create paths for a better future and meaningful life.
Laksha Maria Charbel
Currently Reading:
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-laksha-maria-charbel.html
Latest Review: Fulfillment by ICA
Reading Device: B08KKD61CM

Post by Laksha Maria Charbel »

The meaning of life is to create perhaps, perhaps not. To be honest, I don't know the meaning of life because I'm still exploring the possibilities. What I do know is that there are several paths to choose from and the decisions we choose have consequences both on our lives and impacts others. Some of us are able to create and some of us are gifted elsewhere. Maybe we will understand the meaning once we have lived life till the end. Personally, I think we all search for the meaning of life, every day of our lives. I try to focus on the path and trust that ill find out the meaning someday. Once again a "Grand Mystery". This is a great question! Thank you.
Latest Review: Fulfillment by ICA
cd20
Currently Reading: Growing Slow: Lessons on Un-Hurrying Your Heart from an Accidental Farm Girl

Post by cd20 »

Ruth Fuller wrote: 11 Jun 2021, 03:16
cd20 wrote: 02 Apr 2021, 14:33 The author states that the meaning of life is to create. Do you agree with this, why or why not? As an interesting aside she also uses the six days of creation (discussed in last month's book forum) as an example of how God created in six days.
I believe that the meaning of life is to honor God, our Creator, and to be a witness of Who He is to others.
I am one who believes in 6 literal days of creation.
As for creating, I see God as the Creator and am not comfortable with inscribing that term to myself.
I also believe the meaning of life is to honor God and be witness to who He is. I can do that through my creating, as I believe we are always creating something (memories, text messages, etc.). I also believe in the literal 6 days of creation. I believe God is the Creator of all things and we can appreciate His creation in our own creating. Thank you for sharing your thoughts.
Real life is dreadfully tedious, the way it interrupts reading. -Things We Didn't Say by Amy Lynn Green
cd20

Post by cd20 »

Ifedigbo_C wrote: 11 Jun 2021, 05:45 Honestly, I must admit that I enjoyed reading this fascinating piece of art. Creation is the reason for our existence today. Without fresh innovations and procreation, the world will be empty and meaningless. Creation is what guarantees our sustenance as humans. Thus, it is our responsibility to ensure that in whatever we do, we influence our environment and create paths for a better future and meaningful life.
I believe part of our meaning of life is to create, but also to give glory to the One who created it all. Creation and God are the reason for our existence today. We are to take care of creation. Thank you for sharing your thoughts.
cd20

Post by cd20 »

Laksha Maria Charbel wrote: 11 Jun 2021, 11:15 The meaning of life is to create perhaps, perhaps not. To be honest, I don't know the meaning of life because I'm still exploring the possibilities. What I do know is that there are several paths to choose from and the decisions we choose have consequences both on our lives and impacts others. Some of us are able to create and some of us are gifted elsewhere. Maybe we will understand the meaning once we have lived life till the end. Personally, I think we all search for the meaning of life, every day of our lives. I try to focus on the path and trust that ill find out the meaning someday. Once again a "Grand Mystery". This is a great question! Thank you.
I do believe that part of our meaning of life is to create. We are always creating something. I believe that my meaning of life is to also tell about my Creator and what He has done for me. I also think we all have several meanings of life because we are not all gifted the same way. Thank you for sharing your thoughts and opinions.
Kathryn Collins
Favorite Author: Mark Leon Collins
Currently Reading: Inquirer's Bible
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kathryn-collins.html
Latest Review: Poems About Things That Mattered Most by Bob Dowell
fav_author_id: 196676

Post by Kathryn Collins »

cd20 wrote: 11 Jun 2021, 15:02
I also believe the meaning of life is to honor God and be witness to who He is. I can do that through my creating, as I believe we are always creating something (memories, text messages, etc.). I also believe in the literal 6 days of creation. I believe God is the Creator of all things and we can appreciate His creation in our own creating. Thank you for sharing your thoughts.
[/quote]

That does make sense and we are a reflection of Him to others.
Kebble
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 17
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kebble.html
Latest Review: Timewise by Robert Leet

Post by Kebble »

We have heard people saying "death give life meaning". I do not agree with that statement. I am of the opinion that life gives life meaning. If humans we to live forever, are we going to create death so life can have meaning? My thoughts are that, the things that we do for others gives meaning to life. The impacts that we have on the world give life meaning. The particles that made us have been around since the beginning of the universe hence we are as old as the universe and that is meaningful, when we walk the earth carrying good energy with intentions of using it for good purpose.
cd20

Post by cd20 »

Kebble wrote: 13 Jun 2021, 02:05 We have heard people saying "death give life meaning". I do not agree with that statement. I am of the opinion that life gives life meaning. If humans we to live forever, are we going to create death so life can have meaning? My thoughts are that, the things that we do for others gives meaning to life. The impacts that we have on the world give life meaning. The particles that made us have been around since the beginning of the universe hence we are as old as the universe and that is meaningful, when we walk the earth carrying good energy with intentions of using it for good purpose.
I believe that part of life is to create because we are always creating something. We are creating new friendships, new memories, new posts, text messages, books, etc. I think part of the meaning of life can also be what we are doing and how we are impacting the world around us. Thank you for sharing your thoughts and opinions.
Kiran Kanwar
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 14
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kiran-kanwar.html
Latest Review: The Mindset by Ace Bowers

Post by Kiran Kanwar »

The meaning of life is to be useful to yourself and to others as well. But first, you have to be useful to yourself. For doing that a man creates his life according to his circumstances and when he is satisfied with his state, he moves on to become useful to others. Examples are new software, technologies, charities, NGOs, etc. But one thing should always be kept in mind that when you are creating something to be useful you have to do that in a sustainable manner.

Reckless use of resources to create for the present world leaves the future world in jeopardy and maybe life will also be threatened. So, the meaning of life ultimately is to ensure that life continues to prosper on this planet.
Ruchi Raina
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 110
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ruchi-raina.html
Latest Review: House of Ashes by Margaret Blythe

Post by Ruchi Raina »

I agree with the author that the meaning of life is to create. What we create is up to us. We can create a world that loves, cares and sacrifices, or we can create a selfish world where each being is on its own. What we all need to see is, we can create a good present that can influence and lead to a great future or we can just be ignorant to the bad around us and let the future be worse than the present. For example, we plant a sapling and do a good deed as that sapling will grow to become a tree in future and provide shade, oxygen, fruits and flowers, in the same way, our sowing the seed of goodness will lead to a promising and prosperous future.
cd20

Post by cd20 »

Kiran Kanwar wrote: 15 Jun 2021, 01:41 The meaning of life is to be useful to yourself and to others as well. But first, you have to be useful to yourself. For doing that a man creates his life according to his circumstances and when he is satisfied with his state, he moves on to become useful to others. Examples are new software, technologies, charities, NGOs, etc. But one thing should always be kept in mind that when you are creating something to be useful you have to do that in a sustainable manner.

Reckless use of resources to create for the present world leaves the future world in jeopardy and maybe life will also be threatened. So, the meaning of life ultimately is to ensure that life continues to prosper on this planet.
I do believe that part of the meaning of life is to create. As you said, it is creating useful things, sometimes they are only useful to us, like the creating of new memories. I also think that we have other purposes as well and we are to be creating in those areas too. Thank you for sharing your thoughts.

Return to “Discuss "There's a Rooster in My Bathroom" by Trish Ostroski”