Favourite section of the book?

Use this forum to discuss the April 2021 Book of the month, "There's a Rooster in My Bathroom: A Quest for Meaning in the Bathroom, the Boardroom and Beyond" by Trish Ostroski.
Steve_
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 11
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-steve.html
Latest Review: We are Voulhire: A New Arrival under Great Skies by Matthew Tysz
Reading Device: B00HCNHDN0

Re: Favourite section of the book?

Post by Steve_ »

The second section, detailing the author's experiences in Moldova. It reminded me of how I spent 1½ years back in 2018 - 2019 undergoing training and working with my country's Youth Service. They didn't even allow us to use phones or contact anyone outside of the camp during the first 7 months of training. This was a time to concentrate on myself, redefine my life goals, and basically "take a short break" from life. Despite the hardships of millitary-like training, I'm sure I'd do it again. :D
Jackie Holycross
Currently Reading: The 7 Experiment
Bookshelf Size: 306
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-teacherjh.html
Latest Review: 20 World Religions and Faith Practices by Robyn Lebron

Post by Jackie Holycross »

photosynthesis19 wrote: 16 Apr 2021, 03:48 I liked the second section of the book and how the author describes that a period of unemployment can actually turn into an opportunity to self-reflect and reinvent yourself. I thought that these words of advice would be comforting and encouraging for people in all stages in life, from freshly graduated high school students who feel lost and undecided about their future to experienced working adults who get laid off. Section three was pretty exciting too; I really enjoyed hearing about some of the author's adventures in Moldova.
The second part sounds really inspirational. It's great that she was able to take the potentially negative situation of being out of work and reframe it to be a positive experience. People need to hear that message.
Holly Fleming
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 22
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-holly-fleming.html
Latest Review: Beyond by Ruth Mitchell

Post by Holly Fleming »

My favorite part of the book was Chapter Four: A Whole Lot of Shaking. Ostroski delved into some interesting issues when she described the earthquake and its aftermath. It highlighted the things that are most important to us in life.
Goodness C N
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 43
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-goodness-c-n.html
Latest Review: Love Yourself & Lose Weight: The Success Story of Self Love by Katie Lips

Post by Goodness C N »

There were thought-provoking and inspirational quotes and mere statements all around. They inspired me a lot and those were what I loved in this book.
Dartemis
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 32
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-dartemis.html
Latest Review: The Fourth Kinetic by Brady Moore

Post by Dartemis »

I think my favorite part of the book was actually the pictures sideshow. I was pleasantly surprised when I first saw them. I think the lessons really hit home after seeing them almost in the flesh.
Naaya123
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 14
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-naaya123.html
Latest Review: We are Voulhire: The Fires of Virko by Matthew Tysz

Post by Naaya123 »

The first part of the book seemed very creative to me. I like how she used the marathon analogy, it drew me in.
Cynthia Olyy
Currently Reading: The Prodigy Slave, Book One: Journey to Winter Garden
Bookshelf Size: 62
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-cynthia-olyy.html
Latest Review: A Dream For Peace by Dr. Ghoulem Berrah

Post by Cynthia Olyy »

The marathon story did it for me! It was easy to flow with the book because of how it starts. So, it's the first section for me.
Joyful17
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 126
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-k17.html
Latest Review: Diary of a Talking (war) Dog by Daniel Tierney

Post by Joyful17 »

I liked the duration of her care for the rooster. Although she knew the rooster was not long for this world. I loved reading this part because it show what a nice personality she has.
Caroline Anne Richmond
Book of the Month Participant
Currently Reading: The Little Book of Bad Intentions
Bookshelf Size: 147
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-caroline-anne-richmond.html
Latest Review: Alpha Buddies Land by Donna Marie Rink

Post by Caroline Anne Richmond »

I really enjoyed the first part of the book and how she uses the marathon analogy to describe her life. I thought this was a clever an insightful way to engage the readers.
Juddbryll1
Currently Reading: It Strikes Again
Bookshelf Size: 7
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-juddbryll1.html
Latest Review: Wilderness Cry by Hilary L Hunt M.D.

Post by Juddbryll1 »

I got to read this interesting book through a friend who had just lost her job. The title stood out for me as well as the second section where the author uses her experience to detail how a period of unemployment can be repurposed to profit the person affected by this; a time to declutter, refocus and reinvent oneself regardless.
Mary Lou Mills
In It Together VIP
Favorite Book: Kalayla
Currently Reading: The Buffalo Soldier
Bookshelf Size: 78
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-mary-lou-mills.html
Latest Review: Permaculture for the Absolute Beginner by Dawn Raynes
2024 Reading Goal: 50
2024 Goal Completion: 8%

Post by Mary Lou Mills »

My favorite part is the marathon part. I liked how people encouraged each other and some ran as their alto ego. You run with someone for a while and then things change as people are different and you run beside someone else. Ultimately there was no judging, you did what you could.
KapuKapu
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 17
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kapukapu.html
Latest Review: Worldlines by Adam Guest

Post by KapuKapu »

My favorite part ishowshe picked herself up after losing her job showing me that unemployment is not the end, but a time for rebirth.
Serenity2010
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 51
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-serenity2010.html
Latest Review: How To Be Successful by M. Curtis McCoy
Reading Device: B00IKPYKWG

Post by Serenity2010 »

My favorite part of the book was her time in the Peace Corps. The author helped provide profounding change to a small community that really needed it.
BookBoyP
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 22
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-bookboyp.html
Latest Review: Purges of the Soul by Cathy S Birn

Post by BookBoyP »

I think most people would agree that the most interesting part if the book is the first section as the author writes about her life's experiences.
MarcellaM
Currently Reading: Grey heart
Bookshelf Size: 62
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-shillah-a.html
Latest Review: The Fox by M. N. J. Butler

Post by MarcellaM »

The title caught my attention. It is related to a funny phrase I have heard before. I also was captivated by the second section of the book. Unemployment is relatable to most people and learning ways to go around it is so essential. How the author turned this into a way of reinventing herself is motivating.

Return to “Discuss "There's a Rooster in My Bathroom" by Trish Ostroski”