Self-help vs autobiography

Use this forum to discuss the April 2021 Book of the month, "There's a Rooster in My Bathroom: A Quest for Meaning in the Bathroom, the Boardroom and Beyond" by Trish Ostroski.
Mtibza eM
Favorite Book:
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 102
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-mtibza-em.html
Latest Review: Am I Burned Out at Work? by Salar A. Khan MD, MBA

Re: Self-help vs autobiography

Post by Mtibza eM »

I have also noticed this combination. And to me, I think the author didn't do a great job at that. I don't want to say she failed because she didn't. It just all seemed forced and not good.
Marcel Cantu
Currently Reading: Under Another Sun
Bookshelf Size: 42
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-marcel-cantu.html
Latest Review: Elizabeth's Garden by Phillip Leighton-Daly

Post by Marcel Cantu »

Sushan wrote: 01 Apr 2021, 01:16 Autobiographies are written by authors who succeeded in their lives and wanted to tell that story to the world. They may have various intentions behind that writing, but the reader have the choice to whether to just read it and know the character or to learn and gain important qualities from that character for him/herself.

In contrast, self-help books are written with the intention of helping the reader. The reader can use such books to help him/herself by him/herself, as the genre intends.

But this author has attempted to blend these two and help the reader via her autobiography. In other words, she has tried to write an inspirational autobiography, highlighting the important points which are helpful to the reader, despite just writing an autobiography. Has she succeeded in her attempt? Has she been able to go beyond a usual autobiography?
I think the best self-help books are ones the integrate a lot of autobiographical aspects. So to me, this was a wonderful achievement of both. I think the answer can vary on the perception of the reader, but I thought this book did a good job feathering personal account into self-help.
Gemjay
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 23
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-gemjay.html
Latest Review: The Legacy of Job's Wife by Cynthia Koelker

Post by Gemjay »

I think the book combines both self help and autobiography styles. The outcome is excellent and it impacts the reader. Also, in my opinion I feel like both autobiography and self help books create an impact to the reader.
Eutoc
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 35
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-eutoc.html
Latest Review: My Ups And Downs by Sam Barder

Post by Eutoc »

To be honest here, she was successful in pulling it off. When you live an inspiring life, your story doesn't just end at being an autobiography, it also extends to being a self-help book because a lot of readers would greatly benefit from it
What lies behind us and what lies before us are tiny matters compared to what lies within us.

- Ralph Waldo Emerson
Jessica045
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 43
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-jessica045.html
Latest Review: George by James H Russell

Post by Jessica045 »

The author did a great job in combining both autobiography and self-help. But, personally, I'd prefer autobiography as it is a personal experience coming right from the author.
kalgaonkarsnehal
Favorite Author: Susan Elizabeth Phillips
Favorite Book: Wish You Well
Currently Reading: Connect the Dots
Bookshelf Size: 92
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kalgaonkarsnehal.html
Latest Review: Effective R.U.L.E. by satish shitut
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU
fav_author_id: 15638

Post by kalgaonkarsnehal »

I think the whole purpose of writing an autobiography is to help people see and derive their lessons from another person's life experiences. That itself works as a self-help book, but by example. I think the author has only succeeded in her endeavor so that the readers can learn from her experiences and apply the learnings to their own lives as they see fit.
“Your assumptions are your windows on the world. Scrub them off every once in a while, or the light won't come in.” ― Isaac Asimov :techie-studyinggray: :D
Mercy119
Book of the Month Participant
Currently Reading: Pride and Prejudice
Bookshelf Size: 49
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-fireside119.html
Latest Review: Brandy, Ballad of a Pirate Princess by Dan E. Hendrickson

Post by Mercy119 »

I agree that the author has gone beyond an autobiography since she highlights the many lessons that she has acquired from her experiences. The inclusion of motivational quotes at the end of every chapter also makes the reader reflect on the subject matter.
Jane mwihaki kariuki
Currently Reading: Pearl River Mansion
Bookshelf Size: 3

Post by Jane mwihaki kariuki »

Honestly speaking,the author is creative in writing self learned lessons which is an inspiration to the readers,so in my opinion the did a good job of inspiring through her autobiography
aodonnell
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 34
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-aodonnell.html
Latest Review: Cristos Rising by B.T. Findley

Post by aodonnell »

Many writers are able to use their own stories to write meaningful self-help books. I don't think the two are mutually exclusive by any means, and I'd even suggest that many autobiographies are written for that purpose, to inspire people with their own stories.
However, while I see the direction this author was going, she is in desperate need of some additional help with proofreading and content editing. I think she has all the pieces for a great one-chapter-a-day sort of book with stories and wisdom nuggets to engage the reader, but the execution of her book is sorely lacking.
cd20
Favorite Book: Hope Between the Pages
Currently Reading: Growing Slow: Lessons on Un-Hurrying Your Heart from an Accidental Farm Girl
Bookshelf Size: 823
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-cd20.html
Latest Review: Now Unto Him by Melissa Huggins
Reading Device: B00IKPYKWG

Post by cd20 »

I understand what the author was trying to do, but to me, it felt forced. I saw this more as a memoir than a self-help book. While there were inspirational quotes at the end of each section I also wouldn't say the book was overly "inspirational."
Real life is dreadfully tedious, the way it interrupts reading. -Things We Didn't Say by Amy Lynn Green
Nqobile Mashinini Tshabalala
Favorite Book: Happy Healing
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 301
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-nqobile-mashinini-tshabalala.html
Latest Review: Alpha Buddies Land by Donna Marie Rink

Post by Nqobile Mashinini Tshabalala »

They say experience is the best teacher. Through sharing her experiences, the author opens the eyes of the reader to various aspects of life. It is up to the reader to learn from it and do better or achieve more. I think the author succeeded in merging autobiography and self-help. She definitely nailed two birds with one stone.
Documented history is a gift from the past to the future! - NqobileM
Ojil Elton
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 15

Post by Ojil Elton »

This book is an inspirational autobiography. Self help books are not productive according to my opinion. They always give vague instruction to the reader on how they can improve their lives which in most cases fail. The author talks about her life and attempts to inspire the reader. Sometimes she could go overboard by giving advice and help but the fact remains that she was talking about her life. Therefore, there is no conspiracy, this is a clear inspirational autobiography.
Raluca_Mihaila
Favorite Book: The Brothers Karamazov
Currently Reading: The Master and Margarita
Bookshelf Size: 175
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-raluca-mihaila.html
Latest Review: Brandy, Ballad of a Pirate Princess by Dan E. Hendrickson

Post by Raluca_Mihaila »

I have read a lot of memoirs that had some educational lessons included. I don't think that these are completely different styles. Writing an autobiography is a way to leave something behind, a legacy, so it follows the same path.
simo12
Currently Reading: There's a Rooster in My Bathroom!
Bookshelf Size: 22

Post by simo12 »

Very true, the author did a wonderful job I believe it's cool that she could see her life thusly, and have the option to pass on it into a book that individuals could profit by. She has have an intriguing existence in the first place, and the title alone truly draws out her character
Jennifer Garcia 555
Currently Reading: Vagabond
Bookshelf Size: 64
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-jennifer-garcia-555.html
Latest Review: Somebody’s Watching You by Robin D'Amato

Post by Jennifer Garcia 555 »

The author did a good job of blending autobiography and self-help. I feel it makes the book more interesting because you learn about the author’s personal experiences, but the important life lessons are pointed out to you. This made it a more engaging read for me.
“Isn’t it nice to think that tomorrow is a new day with no mistakes in it yet?” — L. M. Montgomery

Return to “Discuss "There's a Rooster in My Bathroom" by Trish Ostroski”