Do we all have a meaning for others?

Use this forum to discuss the April 2021 Book of the month, "There's a Rooster in My Bathroom: A Quest for Meaning in the Bathroom, the Boardroom and Beyond" by Trish Ostroski.
cd20
Favorite Book: Hope Between the Pages
Currently Reading: Growing Slow: Lessons on Un-Hurrying Your Heart from an Accidental Farm Girl
Bookshelf Size: 823
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-cd20.html
Latest Review: Now Unto Him by Melissa Huggins
Reading Device: B00IKPYKWG

Re: Do we all have a meaning for others?

Post by cd20 »

Each person has value and meaning and we impact others. Each person's meaning is different which is one of the things that makes this world so great. Rather or not we know people we impact them, either in a positive way or negative. I think of the seven degrees of separation. If I yell at a cashier, then she, in turn, is rude to her next customer, and that customer gets in her car and drives with road rage, causing a fender bender and it just so happens that she hit my husband...I caused all that by one small incident. It's crazy to think like that, but even when we think no one is watching, they are, we can choose the impact we make.
Real life is dreadfully tedious, the way it interrupts reading. -Things We Didn't Say by Amy Lynn Green
Sushan Ekanayake
Official Reviewer Representative
Currently Reading: Uplifting The Pain of Behavioral and Learning Styles Through Poetry Now
Bookshelf Size: 408
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-sushan-ekanayake.html
Latest Review: Unsettled Disruption by Juana Catalina Rodriguez
Reading Device: B0794JC2K5

Post by Sushan Ekanayake »

Arite Seki wrote: 02 Apr 2021, 00:36 For me, I can see it meaning two different things. I think the first meaning could be that we all have a role to play in people's lives and we should recognise and protect that when we feel like we don't have value in another's life. Or it could be the reverse and mean that all the people we meet have their own unique meaning in our lives. I like the latter interpretation better as I find it to be a more holistic version
We meet various people in day today lives. Some are very important figures, and some are relatively less important figures. That is the social norm, to separate people like important and less(or not) important. But this quote (what we are discussing here) shows that there are no such people who are less or not important.

Everyone has values, and anyone can be important at any moment. So we have to truly identify the capabilities of people who we meet. Other way round, that is applicable to ourselves as well. So we should know what we are truly capable of and should be ready to utilize them for the benefit of those who need them.
Sushan Ekanayake
Currently Reading: Uplifting The Pain of Behavioral and Learning Styles Through Poetry Now

Jennifer Aldo wrote: 02 Apr 2021, 00:48 In another light, there's always that one person we mean the world to. A person who our very existence gives meaning to. It could be our mums, Dads, spouses, children, friends. We should treasure this and not do anything to harm it.
I agree. For the closest ones, we mean a lot. We simply know this, but most of the times we do not give much attention to such meanings, and we only see their effect when we do something stupid enough to harm that meaning and harm our picture. Such a thing can affect very badly to our closest ones. Imagine how your parents feel if you are arrested for a crime. So it is important to carefully protect and maintain the meaning that our closest ones see in us.
Sushan Ekanayake

Bridgetbruso99 wrote: 02 Apr 2021, 01:38 I also think the quote refers to not just the obvious people we would mean something to, but that you never know the impact that you could be having on others. People need to be aware of that and live their lives accordingly by it. Think of the people that you have met that have impacted you in some way, whether they knew it or not. Now think about if there might be someone somewhere in your life that thinks about you the way you think of that person.
If you are a celebrity, you will definitely be a huge impact in the lives of many, and out of them a majority will be complete strangers to you. But you do not have to be a celebrity to give or be a meaning to others. Your very life that you think is a completely ordinary one will be full of lessons to others, even for those who are complete strangers to you. So you may be leading a completely ordinary life as per your view, yet keep in mind to maintain your character qualities because they may be important to the outsiders more than they are important to you
Sushan Ekanayake

jaym_tan wrote: 02 Apr 2021, 02:10 I love this quote from the book because it is true that we are someone's reason to go on in life, or we are the ones that give meaning to others. Which is why we should not beat ourselves too much because there are those who believe in us, and look to us as good examples.
Exactly. Most of us go through various hardships to be a person that we think is the perfect person. But in the process we tend to forget that there are people who value ourselves as we are. It is more difficult to be yourself than being someone else. But people think it the other way round and always try to be someone else.

So it is important to understand who you really are and work to maintain that status as well as improve it.
Sushan Ekanayake

sssns wrote: 02 Apr 2021, 03:31 We touch the lives of the people we encounter.
The impact that we create may differ from person to person. Because of this, we should always be mindful of how we conduct ourselves so the impact that we leave are always meaningful.
What we do can be small and personal deeds in our own eyes. Though we do not think, they can have a large effect or affect on others' lives. So that is why we should be careful of what we do. We may not think of our acts for our own sake, but for the sake of the others, it is better to identify the true meaning of our selves and our acts and then try to protect the good aspects of those things
Maddie Atkinson
Book of the Month Participant
Favorite Author: Julia Chapman
Favorite Book: gender euphoria
Currently Reading: A Date with Justice
Bookshelf Size: 85
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-maddie-atkinson.html
Latest Review: A King Amongst Us by A.D. Lewis
fav_author_id: 84942

Post by Maddie Atkinson »

cd20 wrote: 10 Apr 2021, 17:16
Maddie Atkinson wrote: 05 Apr 2021, 15:50
Sushan wrote: 01 Apr 2021, 01:15
This is a quote from this book that caught my attention. What do you think about this statement? Does it mean that we all have a meaning for all the others, or we all have a meaning for some of the others? Do we all actually have a meaning for others? If so, what do you think about yourself? What is the meaning of yourself to others or the world? Was it difficult to recognize it? Are you working on to protect it?
I think we all have meaning for all others. Even the smallest things can impact people. Like smiling at someone. For all we know, that person was having a bad day and your smile brightened their day. You'll probably never see them again, but you had an impact on them, even if temporarily. We all have meaning to each other, no matter how small.
Hey Maddie! I agree we do have meaning for others, and doing the smallest thing, like smiling at people can have an impact. You may never know or someday someone might come back and tell you the impact you made on them. Since things are like a domino effect, we could even impact people that we have not encountered, kind of like the seven degrees of separation thing.
Hiiii! I am glad you agree! Even seeing little comments online under videos that say 'hey I don't know who needs to hear this, but you are loved'. Those things have such big impacts on others and that person may never know that they saved someone's life. We all have meaning for each other!
"I decided a while ago not to deny myself the simpler pleasures of existence" - Augustus Waters (The Fault in Our Stars)
Katherine Smith
Favorite Book: <a href="http://forums.onlinebookclub.org/shelve ... 524">Nancy Drew</a>
Currently Reading: The Complete Tales and Poems of Edgar Allen Poe
Bookshelf Size: 504
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-katherine-smith.html
Latest Review: "Whisky tango foxtrot...copy" by John regan
Reading Device: B01KVZV52A

Post by Katherine Smith »

I think that the author is saying that we as individuals need to be aware of the way that we treat people through our words and our actions. I also think that this quote can mean that we need to treat those who we are close with such as friends and family members as a connection to humanity. I like your explanation of this quote in our question and I can see where you could have arrived at that conclusion.
Latest Review: "Whisky tango foxtrot...copy" by John regan
cd20
Favorite Book: Hope Between the Pages
Currently Reading: Growing Slow: Lessons on Un-Hurrying Your Heart from an Accidental Farm Girl
Bookshelf Size: 823
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-cd20.html
Latest Review: Now Unto Him by Melissa Huggins
Reading Device: B00IKPYKWG

Post by cd20 »

Maddie Atkinson wrote: 11 Apr 2021, 11:14
cd20 wrote: 10 Apr 2021, 17:16
Maddie Atkinson wrote: 05 Apr 2021, 15:50

I think we all have meaning for all others. Even the smallest things can impact people. Like smiling at someone. For all we know, that person was having a bad day and your smile brightened their day. You'll probably never see them again, but you had an impact on them, even if temporarily. We all have meaning to each other, no matter how small.
Hey Maddie! I agree we do have meaning for others, and doing the smallest thing, like smiling at people can have an impact. You may never know or someday someone might come back and tell you the impact you made on them. Since things are like a domino effect, we could even impact people that we have not encountered, kind of like the seven degrees of separation thing.
Hiiii! I am glad you agree! Even seeing little comments online under videos that say 'hey I don't know who needs to hear this, but you are loved'. Those things have such big impacts on others and that person may never know that they saved someone's life. We all have meaning for each other!
Exactly! Our social media, our in-person interactions, all have purpose and meaning and create an impact on people. So many people think that what we say or do does not matter, but it really does.
Real life is dreadfully tedious, the way it interrupts reading. -Things We Didn't Say by Amy Lynn Green
Archaeoptery
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 68
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-archaeoptery.html
Latest Review: Kalayla by Jeannie Nicholas

Post by Archaeoptery »

I like this quote. Everyone we hold dear in our life has a meaning. Parents can be meaning that they raise their children into they go off. Wife/Husband goes with who you want to grow old with in life.
Liveforchrist51
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 19
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-liveforchrist51.html
Latest Review: The Hundredth Time Around by Stacy Lee

Post by Liveforchrist51 »

Our interactions with other people changes us even when we don’t realize it. Every person we come in contact with makes us have some form of feeling whether it be mad, sad, amused, etc. The feelings we cause other people to have plays a factor in their lives, their moods and their overall opinions of humans as a whole. If we give off good vibes and feelings, it will increase the joy in someone’s life. This counts especially when someone is at the brink of giving up. One interaction, one good comment, one good laugh, can change their entire focus.
yomide
Currently Reading: We are voulhire
Bookshelf Size: 46
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-yomide.html
Latest Review: The Scarlet Queen: by Mitch Reinhardt

Post by yomide »

I guess we all have meaning to people around us. In my beliefs, no one is meaningless it only depends on weather or not you are appreciated.
There is no point in trying to please a person who doesn't apreciate me. Besides, why do I have to try and please anyone in the first place?
Michele H
Favorite Book: Frozen Harvest
Currently Reading: A Siblings Revenge
Bookshelf Size: 46
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-michele-h.html
Latest Review: House of Dads by June Gillam
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU

Post by Michele H »

An interesting question indeed. As it relates to this book, I found it very interesting to read someone else’s thoughts on the meaning of life. Especially how the authors experiences affected her own life. What about purpose? It’s purpose the same as Meaning? We all have a purpose,
therefore we must have a meaning.
Ada Ling
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 21
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ada-ling.html
Latest Review: Catapulting Commissions by Anthony Garcia

Post by Ada Ling »

This is a great quote. While sometimes we have self-doubt, we need to tell ourselves this quote. Even a normal person will have some impact on other people, for example, family members. We want to have a better life not just for ourselves, but for the people who like us.
Ishratfatima
Favorite Book: Head Waggling in Delhi
Currently Reading: Catapulting Commissions
Bookshelf Size: 10

Post by Ishratfatima »

Yes,it's an attractive statement.
I agree with this statement....as it shows we always care about what others thinks about us.
As we always think about our look....posture ,attitude , behaviour,sucess is attractive to someone or not.
We do struggle to achieve anybody's attention.
Yes,that we all have a meaning for others

Return to “Discuss "There's a Rooster in My Bathroom" by Trish Ostroski”