Do we all have a meaning for others?

Use this forum to discuss the April 2021 Book of the month, "There's a Rooster in My Bathroom: A Quest for Meaning in the Bathroom, the Boardroom and Beyond" by Trish Ostroski.
Sushan Ekanayake
Official Reviewer Representative
Currently Reading: My Wind Therapy
Bookshelf Size: 407
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-sushan-ekanayake.html
Latest Review: My Wind Therapy: Motorcycling Through A History of Child Abuse And Domestic Violence by Queen Five Star
Reading Device: B0794JC2K5

Do we all have a meaning for others?

Post by Sushan Ekanayake »

We all have meaning for other people, and we need to do a stronger job of protecting that and recognizing that.
This is a quote from this book that caught my attention. What do you think about this statement? Does it mean that we all have a meaning for all the others, or we all have a meaning for some of the others? Do we all actually have a meaning for others? If so, what do you think about yourself? What is the meaning of yourself to others or the world? Was it difficult to recognize it? Are you working on to protect it?
dianaterrado
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 152
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-dianaterrado.html
Latest Review: Love, Grandma by Ann Morris

Post by dianaterrado »

Sushan wrote: 01 Apr 2021, 01:15
We all have meaning for other people, and we need to do a stronger job of protecting that and recognizing that.
This is a quote from this book that caught my attention. What do you think about this statement? Does it mean that we all have a meaning for all the others, or we all have a meaning for some of the others? Do we all actually have a meaning for others? If so, what do you think about yourself? What is the meaning of yourself to others or the world? Was it difficult to recognize it? Are you working on to protect it?

I really like this quote. The way I interpret it is that each of us portray ourselves differently to different people. That's why we need to recognize who and what we are to a certain person so we can maybe make it stronger? Or better? I don't know if this makes sense. But that's how I see it.
"We should all have something to be weirdly passionate about."
Bridgetbruso99
Currently Reading: MY FRIEND Marilyn
Bookshelf Size: 41
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-bridgetbruso99.html
Latest Review: If Life Stinks, Get Your Head Outta Your But's by Mark L. Wdowiak

Post by Bridgetbruso99 »

I think anyone that we encounter, good or bad, has meaning for us because it shapes us as people. If this happens to us, I think that we in turn do this for other people. You might not have the same experiences as others, but if you know someone who has had that experience that you didn't you can empathize more with a situation.
Precious Naiti
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 25
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-precious-naiti.html
Latest Review: Randy the Irresistible by S M Goodier

Post by Precious Naiti »

This quote is very accurate and we all indeed have meaning for other people. It is very possible that each of us are someone’s reason to live. At times, people look at out lives for motivation and we need to do a better job of protecting the people who need us. This can be done by continuously working on ourselves and trying to improve in all areas of our lives. We should all spread love. Pure and beautiful love.
Francis Aderogbin
Favorite Book: Money Faucet
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 189
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-francis-aderogbin.html
Latest Review: Donny and Mary Grace's California Adventures by Catherine A. Pepe

Post by Francis Aderogbin »

This quote, to me, is sound. The way others associate with me depends on my disposition to them and the kind of values I added to their lives. The same thing applies to me. The way I see others depends on how relevant they are to me. Now, knowing this will encourage us to preserve each of these meanings so it doesn't grow stale. Once we decide to let go of the meaning, then our relationship with them expires. This is how I interpreted the quote.
Kenna Ridzi
Currently Reading: Iron Gold
Bookshelf Size: 23
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kenna-ridzi.html
Latest Review: Waterworks by Jack Winnick

Post by Kenna Ridzi »

I like this quote, and I think it could be interpreted in a number of ways. I think we do have a meaning for all others, no matter how insignificant it may seem. It's the few that make up the many, if you know what I mean. For instance, if someone needed people to sign a petition and you decided to sign it, a friend may see that you signed it and decide to follow in your footsteps. Then it keeps going and going until the petition has all the signatures it needs. In this scenario, you had meaning, you contributed, and so did your friend and all the other people that followed in your footsteps. Therefore, everyone has a meaning for all others, no matter how small it is.
Jennifer Aldo
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 54
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-jennifer-aldo.html
Latest Review: War Tower by Joseph Leo DeCelle

Post by Jennifer Aldo »

I think that our very person, our experiences, wisdom, and worldview is a collection of different people, their ideas gleaned from conversations, from the classroom, from their books, from the social media, from our parents and people around us. All we are and all we know are imprints left by others. In that same vein, our daily interactions leave imprints in others too. We would also define others and as such, be very mindful and treat this task with utmost importance.
Arite Seki
Currently Reading: The Alchemist
Bookshelf Size: 75
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-arite-seki.html
Latest Review: The Maestro Monologue by Rob White

Post by Arite Seki »

For me, I can see it meaning two different things. I think the first meaning could be that we all have a role to play in people's lives and we should recognise and protect that when we feel like we don't have value in another's life. Or it could be the reverse and mean that all the people we meet have their own unique meaning in our lives. I like the latter interpretation better as I find it to be a more holistic version
Jennifer Aldo
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 54
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-jennifer-aldo.html
Latest Review: War Tower by Joseph Leo DeCelle

Post by Jennifer Aldo »

In another light, there's always that one person we mean the world to. A person who our very existence gives meaning to. It could be our mums, Dads, spouses, children, friends. We should treasure this and not do anything to harm it.
Bridgetbruso99
Currently Reading: MY FRIEND Marilyn
Bookshelf Size: 41
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-bridgetbruso99.html
Latest Review: If Life Stinks, Get Your Head Outta Your But's by Mark L. Wdowiak

Post by Bridgetbruso99 »

I also think the quote refers to not just the obvious people we would mean something to, but that you never know the impact that you could be having on others. People need to be aware of that and live their lives accordingly by it. Think of the people that you have met that have impacted you in some way, whether they knew it or not. Now think about if there might be someone somewhere in your life that thinks about you the way you think of that person.
jaym_tan
Currently Reading: The Date Farm
Bookshelf Size: 146
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-jaym-tan.html
Latest Review: The Fox by M. N. J. Butler

Post by jaym_tan »

I love this quote from the book because it is true that we are someone's reason to go on in life, or we are the ones that give meaning to others. Which is why we should not beat ourselves too much because there are those who believe in us, and look to us as good examples.
SweetSourSalty AndSpicy
Book of the Month Participant
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 233
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-sweetsoursalty-andspicy.html
Latest Review: The Past Speaks by Geoff McCue

Post by SweetSourSalty AndSpicy »

We touch the lives of the people we encounter.
The impact that we create may differ from person to person. Because of this, we should always be mindful of how we conduct ourselves so the impact that we leave are always meaningful.
Cwilde13
Currently Reading: Watership Down
Bookshelf Size: 23
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-cwilde13.html
Latest Review: Cat Detectives in the Korean Peninsula by R.F. Kristi

Post by Cwilde13 »

I like this quote and I agree that we do all have meanings for other. There are the obvious relationships that we have with the people we are close with, our friends and family, but we can also have a profound impact on passing strangers. Sometimes, the most important advice or moment of your day can stem from an interaction with someone who only came into your life for that moment and for that small purpose.
Suzer6440 xyz
Favorite Book: Pearl River Mansion
Currently Reading: Five Total Strangers
Bookshelf Size: 201
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-suzer6440-xyz.html
Latest Review: The Maestro Monologue by Rob White

Post by Suzer6440 xyz »

This was the exact quote that jumped out at me of being my favorite quote! It can mean so many different things. I think we have to look deep into ourselves and the people around us to appreciate what we have around us. We take things for granted and when it comes down to it, it is the little things we do for others that are the most meaningful. I strongly believe that we all (no matter how small) have a meaning for every single person we meet in life. Weather it be a smile, a handshake, a word of advice, an eye roll, a reaction , the list goes on and on. These are deep thinking and meaningful quotes
Parahiyo
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 31
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-parahiyo.html
Latest Review: Learn to Love: Guide to Healing Your Disappointing Love Life by Thomas Jordan, Ph.D.

Post by Parahiyo »

I really liked the quote. We all definitely mean something to other people. This kind of relationships are often taken for granted but it is advisable to always appreciate other people that are important to you and those that are always there for you.

Return to “Discuss "There's a Rooster in My Bathroom" by Trish Ostroski”