What is the relevance of the book title?

Use this forum to discuss the April 2021 Book of the month, "There's a Rooster in My Bathroom: A Quest for Meaning in the Bathroom, the Boardroom and Beyond" by Trish Ostroski.
Sushan Ekanayake
Official Reviewer Representative
Currently Reading: Uplifting The Pain of Behavioral and Learning Styles Through Poetry Now
Bookshelf Size: 408
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-sushan-ekanayake.html
Latest Review: Unsettled Disruption by Juana Catalina Rodriguez
Reading Device: B0794JC2K5

Re: What is the relevance of the book title?

Post by Sushan Ekanayake »

Chigo Nwagboso wrote: 03 Apr 2021, 02:03 The tittle and the message the book convey didn't go hand in gloves. But, it captivate readers and stir the zeal to delve into the read to uncover things.
I agree. At a glance (or maybe after reading it further) it feels like that the title is not matching the content of the book. The title has a tiny relevance to the book because there is a chapter which has similar content as the title, but as per my opinion, that move is for collections of short stories, but not for autobiographies.
Adhithya K R
Favorite Author: Haruki Murakami
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 22
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-adhithya-k-r.html
Latest Review: Gringo by Dan "Tito" Davis
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU
fav_author_id: 2566

Post by Adhithya K R »

I honestly thought that the book was a children's book, based on the cover design and the title. It is surprising that the intention was actually to make people take notice. It definitely worked, at least in my case. On reading further, it looks like this is a book that is autobiographical in nature, and it promises to be funny. I look forward to reading this book.
Sidi_254
Currently Reading: Kalayla
Bookshelf Size: 13
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-sidi-254.html
Latest Review: Ironing by Navajo

Post by Sidi_254 »

At first glance, I thought it was a children's book only to discover an autobiography. It was a smart choice to use such an eye-catching cover and title.
Latest Review: Ironing by Navajo
Sushan Ekanayake
Currently Reading: Uplifting The Pain of Behavioral and Learning Styles Through Poetry Now

Michaeljerry309 wrote: 03 Apr 2021, 02:56 I don’t think I see any other reason as to why the author picked this title other than how catchy it is and it works but I feel like it has a downside for example someone who isn’t interested in reading a children’s book at all would give this one a pass thinking it’s a children’s book so I feel like it would have benefited from a different title
I agree. You have a valid point. Someone who is just rushing through the books won't bother to look at the descriptive subtitle, and will assume that this is a children's book from the first impression that he/she will be getting. As itis said that the first impression is the last impression, it will probably be his/her last look at the book.

So, what will be the title that you are suggesting for this book?
Sushan Ekanayake

Yvonne Monique wrote: 03 Apr 2021, 03:57 The book title as well as the book cover are hilarious. Although it might seem a children's book at first sight, the title is actually quite relevant. The author surely used this title to catch people's attention, and I might say that it worked for me. It made me have a closer look and read the sample.
We have to keep in mind that this author was an expert in the field of advertising. So choosing a catchy title should have been a piece of cake for her. And by seeing that most have tried this book just out of curiosity, all the credit goes to the author for choosing a catchy and quite a hilarious, and at the same time quite relevant title for her book.
Sushan Ekanayake

Lucille27 wrote: 03 Apr 2021, 13:37
Jasy95 wrote: 03 Apr 2021, 01:39 I think it was a bad idea to give it a vibe of a children's book! It could make potential readers looking for autobiographies ignore this book and not give it a chance.
I was thinking about this also. I mean, how good or bad idea this was? Because it can be a potential deceiver, but it can also be something clever. I think it is a risky move. Maybe I would just change the design a bit. Conceptual books are fun to read and a nice and refreshing touch for autobiographies, instead of just dropping the name of someone, but in this case I think it could have also been a risky an bad move. I have mixed feelings about it.
Every good thing can have its bad aspects. Advertising is such an area in which you want to target a large group as much as possible, yet in the process you might even loose the audience what you already have. For greater success, you should take greater risks. Seemingly this author has gone for that, and by the number of comments it seems that rather than loosing the audience, she has attracted quite a large audience. So I would say, a pretty bold, yet a successful movie from the author's side by choosing this title.
Sushan Ekanayake

Noda21k wrote: 03 Apr 2021, 21:32 I agree that I initially thought it was a children's book as well. It does stand out from other autobiographies though due to the title, so I imagine that was the reason that they picked it. I know I'm not a huge nonfiction reader in general, so anything that will pique my curiosity is a good marketing tool.
You have a point. There are too many autobiographies and self-help books out there. If you are not interested in non-fiction books in general, then there is a high chance for you to not even have a second look at such a book if you feel like "that is another ordinary non-fiction book". Yet, here the author has taken up the challenge and gone for quite an unusual move. She has put a different and a catchy title with quite a hilarious cover page. So she has made her book unique among the other non-fiction books, and seemingly many have picked this book out of curiosity.
Sushan Ekanayake

Devalsodha wrote: 04 Apr 2021, 03:26 Indeed it's a catchy title. Though, at first glance, I too thought it to be a children's book. But I believe that author did a right choice for the title as it is different and relevant too.
I have seen books with titles that have either no meaning or any relevance. Apart from such books, this author has used a unique, yet a very much relevant and a meaningful title for her book. Being unique is quite a bold move, as there is the chance for you to either get accepted or rejected.

At the same time, I believe that this title can be related for a wakeup call, as this book is intended to be. Rooster has been a symbol for waking up in early morning from the past. I think that this title invites the reader to make this book his/her wakeup call.
Sushan Ekanayake

Mtibza eM wrote: 04 Apr 2021, 09:10 She used it as clickbait. I didn't understand the article, and didn't quite enjoy that chapter where she found the rooster. When I picked the book, I didn't know what to expect, but I know for sure didn't expect an autobiography or a self motivational book.
(on the internet) content whose main purpose is to attract attention and encourage visitors to click on a link to a particular web page.
This is how google defines a clickbait, and I think it has been quite the clickbait. Even you have admitted that you did not expect an autobiography or a self-help bbook by reading the title and seeing the cover page. Seemingly you haven't liked the book much, yet I suppose that you read the whole book. If so, haven't this author been successful in choosing the best 'clickbait' for her book? Whatever the meaning that the author wanted her audience to get from it, seemingly she has succeeded in making many of her audience to atleast have a second look at her book.
Sushan Ekanayake

Gemjay wrote: 04 Apr 2021, 14:49 I have to agree with you because at first I also thought this was a children's book. Anyway, I think the title captures your attention and that's why the author used it.
Indeed. I would have never tried this if I thought that it is another self-help book. But the author prevented me from getting that idea and have made her book quite unique with this title. It is true that she has given a subtitle which is descriptive and explanatory enough for someone to get a complete idea about the book. But in today's busy world, how many would have bothered to read a lengthy subtitle. Many would have made their conclusions just by looking at the cover page and the large, main title, and I believe that for many that conclusion was "this seems quite a hilarious book which is worth giving a try". Hasn't the author been successful in making her book unique? Indeed she has been.
John Owen
Book of the Month Participant
Currently Reading: Baggage
Bookshelf Size: 155
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-john-owen.html
Latest Review: All Body Bags and No Knickers by Shawe Ruckus
2024 Reading Goal: 52
2024 Goal Completion: 123%

Post by John Owen »

I think the title and cover was deceptive inasmuch as it may have been used as a marketing strategy. It creates the impression of a children's book or a humor and comedy book only to find it was another thing altogether. You don't just use a candy wrapper to wrap a soap, do you?
Harmony in chaos. It's all a matter of perspective.
John Owen

Post by John Owen »

raluca_mihaila wrote: 08 Apr 2021, 08:35
Sushan wrote: 01 Apr 2021, 01:14 When I initially read the title and the cover page, I thought that this is a children's book. Later only I read the complete title as well as the book and got to know that this is an inspirational autobiography.

Apart from the latter descriptive part of this title, what do you think about the initial part regarding a rooster being in the bathroom (There's a Rooster in My Bathroom!)? Is it a relevant or a suitable topic with regard to the whole book? Or is it a catchy title that this author has used with her experience in advertising?
It's clearly a catchy title, but I don't think that it serves its purpose. Putting a click-bait title for an article is one thing, but this strategy doesn't work so well on a book. The title should be the essence of the book, and it should not be misleading. The author might lose some potential readers due to the name and the cover.
I also agree. The title and cover should at least show the book genre and what it is about. It's like using a Sci-fi cover and title on a devotional. You'll be creating a bad impression on the readers, and I doubt whether they would want to read another book from you.
John Owen

Post by John Owen »

Arimart99 wrote: 05 Apr 2021, 22:05 The title obviously refers to a story in the book, but I do believe the author was trying to give her book a catchy and humorous title that would make readers do a double take. Even though I do think the title fits well with the book, I would have never read the book based on the title alone because I too thought it was a children's book. Therefore, the catchy title might be a double edged sword because many people, like myself, would not have even glanced at it since we are not interested in children's books.
And that being said, not many people would delve into the blurb or description. We simply decide whether or not to read the book straight from the cover impression and title. Reading the description also depends on whether the title or cover appeals to the reader. I'm just imagining how many readers may have skipped the book thinking it was another book.
John Owen

Post by John Owen »

jeanmtdb wrote: 25 Apr 2021, 08:44 The book title is very intriguing. I believe the author used that title to capture a reader's curiosity - and it works. The title and cover art really let you know that the book won't be boring. Her background in advertising serves her well!
I don't think so. I would describe this as a bad marketing strategy. How would you feel if you bought an orange but on eating it, it tastes like a banana? That's exactly the situation here.
kdstrack
Previous Member of the Month
Currently Reading: The Savior
Bookshelf Size: 530
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kdstrack.html
Latest Review: How To Be Successful by M. Curtis McCoy

Post by kdstrack »

I think the author wanted to emphasize something that was a unique experience in her life. Not many readers will be able to say that something like that has happened in their life. It also serves to catch people's attention and question what the book could be about!

Return to “Discuss "There's a Rooster in My Bathroom" by Trish Ostroski”