What is the relevance of the book title?

Use this forum to discuss the April 2021 Book of the month, "There's a Rooster in My Bathroom: A Quest for Meaning in the Bathroom, the Boardroom and Beyond" by Trish Ostroski.
Sushan Ekanayake
Official Reviewer Representative
Currently Reading: Uplifting The Pain of Behavioral and Learning Styles Through Poetry Now
Bookshelf Size: 408
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-sushan-ekanayake.html
Latest Review: Unsettled Disruption by Juana Catalina Rodriguez
Reading Device: B0794JC2K5

What is the relevance of the book title?

Post by Sushan Ekanayake »

When I initially read the title and the cover page, I thought that this is a children's book. Later only I read the complete title as well as the book and got to know that this is an inspirational autobiography.

Apart from the latter descriptive part of this title, what do you think about the initial part regarding a rooster being in the bathroom (There's a Rooster in My Bathroom!)? Is it a relevant or a suitable topic with regard to the whole book? Or is it a catchy title that this author has used with her experience in advertising?
dianaterrado
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 152
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-dianaterrado.html
Latest Review: Love, Grandma by Ann Morris

Post by dianaterrado »

Same here. I thought at first that it was a kid's book based on the title.

I think it was more the author's decision to make the title catchy. I, personally, find intriguing and catchy titles more likely to pique my interest. If the title intrigues me, I'll definitely check the synopsis of the book and maybe end up reading it.
"We should all have something to be weirdly passionate about."
Bridgetbruso99
Currently Reading: MY FRIEND Marilyn
Bookshelf Size: 41
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-bridgetbruso99.html
Latest Review: If Life Stinks, Get Your Head Outta Your But's by Mark L. Wdowiak

Post by Bridgetbruso99 »

There is a story in the book that the title refers to. This title also gears you up for the whimsical stories you are going to encounter within it. I like it because it stands out and you know that reading this one isn't going to be boring.
Precious Naiti
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 25
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-precious-naiti.html
Latest Review: Randy the Irresistible by S M Goodier

Post by Precious Naiti »

The book title is quite humorous. I found it appealing and interesting. The title definitely caught my eye. It is not every time you come across such a catchy title. I honestly thought the book was a bedtime story book for children, but to my surprise it was more than that. The author's choice of the title is one we do not come across nearly enough.
jaym_tan
Currently Reading: The Date Farm
Bookshelf Size: 147
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-jaym-tan.html
Latest Review: The Fox by M. N. J. Butler

Post by jaym_tan »

I thought the same thing as well. I really assumed that this would be a funny children's book, it never crossed my mind that it is an informative self-help book. I give props to the author for making an eye catching title!
Stephanie Elizabeth
Previous Member of the Month
Currently Reading: We are Voulhire: A New Arrival under Great Skies
Bookshelf Size: 212
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-stephanie-elizabeth.html
Latest Review: Do You Remember Me? by Wm M Crouch

Post by Stephanie Elizabeth »

When I first saw the title, I definitely did a double-take, and I think that was the author's intent. I don't think there was any big significance beyond getting people to stop and take notice. The cover is also quite hilarious; I think this was pretty smart on the author's part.
Francis Aderogbin
Favorite Book: Money Faucet
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 189
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-francis-aderogbin.html
Latest Review: Donny and Mary Grace's California Adventures by Catherine A. Pepe

Post by Francis Aderogbin »

The title is used to captivate the attention of people. You can't see the book amidst other books and passed it without looking through it. I believed it was a gimmick used by advertisers to draw the attention of people. Well, I am unsurprised, she is an advertiser after all.
Parahiyo
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 31
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-parahiyo.html
Latest Review: Learn to Love: Guide to Healing Your Disappointing Love Life by Thomas Jordan, Ph.D.

Post by Parahiyo »

I think the author decided to make the title catchy. The title is intresting and appealing. Only opened the book to fulfil my curiosity and it did not disappoint. The aurthor was clever to use that title.
Bertha Jackson
Bookshelves Moderator
Favorite Book: Launchpad Republic: America's Entrepreneurial Edge and Why It Matters
Currently Reading: Life at the Precipice
Bookshelf Size: 755
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-bertha-jackson.html
Latest Review: Embrace Your Age by JAMES B. FLAHERTY ... An octogenarian with a bright future.

Post by Bertha Jackson »

Although the title is relevant to the story about the rooster being in the bathroom to keep warm, I think the author used it for the title to show the humor within the seriousness of the topics.
Bertha R. Jackson :D
Book Reviewer at OnlineBookClub.org
Susan Kihleng
Currently Reading: Just Give Me a Soft Place to Land
Bookshelf Size: 273
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-susan-kihleng.html
Latest Review: Elizabeth's Garden by Phillip Leighton-Daly

Post by Susan Kihleng »

The title definitely grabbed my attention. While it's not the kind of book I usually prefer to read, the title was catchy enough that I wanted to give it a try, and so far I'm thoroughly enjoying it. As far as relevance, there's not a whole lot, but it's a good way for the author to draw in a reader.
Arite Seki
Currently Reading: The Alchemist
Bookshelf Size: 75
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-arite-seki.html
Latest Review: The Maestro Monologue by Rob White

Post by Arite Seki »

I also thought it was a children's book as well, but I feel like this only added to the whimsy and appeal when I found out that it wasn't. I'm not so sure that there is a deeper meaning to the title. The bathroom is quite a personal space and maybe this has relevance, but I still find the title catchy even if that is its only function
SweetSourSalty AndSpicy
Book of the Month Participant
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 238
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-sweetsoursalty-andspicy.html
Latest Review: The Killers’ Therapist by Jonathan David

Post by SweetSourSalty AndSpicy »

The author did say that she actually had a rooster in the bathroom during her Peace Corps days. Also, the rooster in the bathroom could mean that life is full of suprises. Likewise, it is hilarious and makes a catchy title.
Ochieng Omuodo
Book of the Month Participant
Currently Reading: The Intrepid Brotherhood
Bookshelf Size: 60
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ochieng-omuodo.html
Latest Review: Endgame by William Reed

Post by Ochieng Omuodo »

I'm remotes to say it's a catchy title because the beginning of this book reads like a commercial break you'd get on TV. However, many pages in, one does come across a humourous analogy to life and, specifically, how those like myself who aren't morning people are forced to confront challenges.
kalgaonkarsnehal
Favorite Author: Susan Elizabeth Phillips
Favorite Book: Wish You Well
Currently Reading: Connect the Dots
Bookshelf Size: 92
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kalgaonkarsnehal.html
Latest Review: Effective R.U.L.E. by satish shitut
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU
fav_author_id: 15638

Post by kalgaonkarsnehal »

I would never have thought that this is a book for adults just by looking at the cover as well as reading the title. I had to read the book review to understand that it is actually an autobiography. When I started reading it, ofcourse the book pulls you in. I have not yet reached the story with the rooster during the author's time in the peace corps, however, I find the stories (specially the Marathon one) extremely relatable. This book reminds me a little bit of Gerald Durrell's way of writing personal stories.
“Your assumptions are your windows on the world. Scrub them off every once in a while, or the light won't come in.” ― Isaac Asimov :techie-studyinggray: :D
raj_nandani_poet
Currently Reading: The Handmaid's Tale
Bookshelf Size: 56
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-raj-nandani-poet.html
Latest Review: The Last City of America by Matthew Tysz

Post by raj_nandani_poet »

Oh yes, the title and the cover design both give a sense of the children's book is in the discussion. I guess this is a marketing technique because when you read the blurb and then the title, you feel confused and you want to know what that really means and to connect the dots with the story.

Return to “Discuss "There's a Rooster in My Bathroom" by Trish Ostroski”