Meaning of life

Use this forum to discuss the April 2021 Book of the month, "There's a Rooster in My Bathroom: A Quest for Meaning in the Bathroom, the Boardroom and Beyond" by Trish Ostroski.
Nithilah Ayyappan
Currently Reading: We Hunt the Flame
Bookshelf Size: 16
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-nithilah-ayyappan.html
Latest Review: Brandy, Ballad of a Pirate Princess by Dan E. Hendrickson
Reading Device: B07KR2N2GF

Re: Meaning of life

Post by Nithilah Ayyappan »

I do agree that the meaning of life is to create, although I believe it to be one aspect of life. Creating allows you to make something out of your life, and gives a sense of purpose. Although not creating does not mean life has no purpose, it provides a sense of it when it is there.
cd20
Favorite Book: Hope Between the Pages
Currently Reading: Growing Slow: Lessons on Un-Hurrying Your Heart from an Accidental Farm Girl
Bookshelf Size: 823
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-cd20.html
Latest Review: Now Unto Him by Melissa Huggins
Reading Device: B00IKPYKWG

Post by cd20 »

JB3 wrote: 07 May 2021, 04:29 I disagree some people are not very creative others do not have any talent for creating but have an interest. I think that the meaning of life is all about experiencing new and different things.
I think it truly depends on how you define "creating." I am not a creative/artsy person, but I create blog posts, emails, memories, etc. Do you know what I mean? I think we are all creative in some ways and we are constantly creating, but I do not think that is our whole purpose. While you are experiencing those new and different things you spoke of, you are also creating memories as you do them. Thank you for sharing your thoughts.
Real life is dreadfully tedious, the way it interrupts reading. -Things We Didn't Say by Amy Lynn Green
cd20
Currently Reading: Growing Slow: Lessons on Un-Hurrying Your Heart from an Accidental Farm Girl

Post by cd20 »

Nithilah Ayyappan wrote: 07 May 2021, 12:56 I do agree that the meaning of life is to create, although I believe it to be one aspect of life. Creating allows you to make something out of your life, and gives a sense of purpose. Although not creating does not mean life has no purpose, it provides a sense of it when it is there.
Yes, this is what I have been saying too. Part of our meaning of life is to create, but it's not the whole aspect. We are always creating something, whether it be memories, new experiences, a text message, etc., we are creating. So, in some ways, it depends on what your definition of creating is. Thanks for sharing your opinions.
Real life is dreadfully tedious, the way it interrupts reading. -Things We Didn't Say by Amy Lynn Green
joynob24365
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 24
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-joynob24365.html
Latest Review: Weeping Goes Unheard by Lucia Mann

Post by joynob24365 »

I sort of agree. The meaning of life is vague but one of its meaning can be to create. Whether it be your future, relations, objectives.
cd20

Post by cd20 »

joynob24365 wrote: 08 May 2021, 14:11 I sort of agree. The meaning of life is vague but one of its meaning can be to create. Whether it be your future, relations, objectives.
Yes, I believe creating is part of our purpose, but not our full purpose. I had not really thought of the meaning of life as being vague, but I guess I can see how it can be perceived to be that way. Thank you for sharing your thoughts.
Mehwish Qaiser
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 20
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-mehwish-qaiser.html
Latest Review: The Mindset by Ace Bowers

Post by Mehwish Qaiser »

cd20 wrote: 03 Apr 2021, 08:46
Michaeljerry309 wrote: 03 Apr 2021, 02:11 To be very honest, iv always believed that the purpose of life is simply to live and what you choose to do while living is up to you and not up to any external forces. So I don’t agree with Trish Ostroski but I do see her point and I understand it but it wasn’t convincing enough to win me over. I enjoyed There’s a Rooster in My Bathroom nontheless.
That's an interesting perspective, obviously, we are to live our lives, but isn't there, or shouldn't there be more than that? What is the point of living our lives? To live it well? Or make an impact? Or just to live it?
I agree with you there should be more to life than living, there are thousands of people who just live 9 to 5 lives and follow the same routine and just live life as it is, but what about leaving an impression, there are thousands of people and out of them what makes you stand out?
creativity can be one of them but to what extent?
there is so much more we can do than just blindly waste away our life
Naaya123
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 14
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-naaya123.html
Latest Review: We are Voulhire: The Fires of Virko by Matthew Tysz

Post by Naaya123 »

I don't believe that the meaning of life is to create. I think that each individual should simply live their life as they choose. It's up one how they live and why they live.
cd20

Post by cd20 »

That's an interesting perspective, obviously, we are to live our lives, but isn't there, or shouldn't there be more than that? What is the point of living our lives? To live it well? Or make an impact? Or just to live it?
[/quote]
I agree with you there should be more to life than living, there are thousands of people who just live 9 to 5 lives and follow the same routine and just live life as it is, but what about leaving an impression, there are thousands of people and out of them what makes you stand out?
creativity can be one of them but to what extent?
there is so much more we can do than just blindly waste away our life
[/quote]

I agree, there are many people out there who are perfectly content to live their lives working 9 to 5, and follow the same routine. In some ways, I am like that. In order ways, not really, I want to leave a lasting legacy and I want to make an impact. Creativity is part of life, a huge part, again because I believe we are always creating something, but, yeah, more to life than that. I do agree with you too, that there is so much more we can do than to blindly waste our life away.
cd20

Post by cd20 »

Naaya123 wrote: 10 May 2021, 12:36 I don't believe that the meaning of life is to create. I think that each individual should simply live their life as they choose. It's up one how they live and why they live.
So you never create anything? No memories, no texts, emails, letters, papers, or whatever? As has been previously stated in this forum, I guess it depends on how you define the word 'create.' I agree that our entire purpose or meaning of life is not just to create, but I do believe it is a big part of it. I do not think we get to choose why we live. I believe that is out of our hands, just like when we die is out of our hands. Thank you for sharing your thoughts on this.
Karissa Schilling
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 30
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-karissa-schilling.html
Latest Review: Lessons For Kids to Learn by D.L.Kelly

Post by Karissa Schilling »

I think that "the meaning of life" is whatever a person wants it to be. I do see what the author is going for though. As humans, we are constantly creating as we live our day to day lives. We create our day, our foods, our children, our relationships, etc. Our ability to extensively create is something that sets us apart from animals. So part of being human is to create; that's what we do.
Great topic question!
Damian Keyes
In It Together VIP
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 130
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-damian-keyes.html
Latest Review: Last Minute Wedding Date by Anthony george
2024 Reading Goal: 30
2024 Goal Completion: 23%

Post by Damian Keyes »

I feel to create is a great way to define what life is about. Most people think of a creation being something that is tangible, but I see it as something that can be both tangible and intangible. We as humans create the life we want to live and the environment we want to dwell in. Life is to be enjoyed and lived to the fullest, so we have to create moments of happiness in life, whether it be a business, wedding, a family, or just simply being happy. I really loved this question!
cd20

Post by cd20 »

Karissa Schilling wrote: 10 May 2021, 19:49 I think that "the meaning of life" is whatever a person wants it to be. I do see what the author is going for though. As humans, we are constantly creating as we live our day to day lives. We create our day, our foods, our children, our relationships, etc. Our ability to extensively create is something that sets us apart from animals. So part of being human is to create; that's what we do.
Great topic question!
Yes, you are right. We are constantly creating something. I also agree that everyone has different meanings for "the meaning of life." Thank you for sharing your thoughts on this and I appreciate the compliment :D
cd20

Post by cd20 »

Dman_1996 wrote: 11 May 2021, 11:38 I feel to create is a great way to define what life is about. Most people think of a creation being something that is tangible, but I see it as something that can be both tangible and intangible. We as humans create the life we want to live and the environment we want to dwell in. Life is to be enjoyed and lived to the fullest, so we have to create moments of happiness in life, whether it be a business, wedding, a family, or just simply being happy. I really loved this question!
Yes, I agree. I also believe life is to be enjoyed and lived to the fullest. We see so many people's lives snuffed out too early, it's important to try and live a life of no regrets. Glad you liked the question. Thanks for sharing your thoughts on this!
Kim Jek
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 45
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kim-jek.html
Latest Review: Bluewater Walkabout by Tina Dreffin

Post by Kim Jek »

I believe the author has a right to her viewpoint. She also expresses strong belief about other issues as well. For instance, she expresses her feelings about the rooster which she took diligent care of till it died. As for me though, I believe that the meaning of life goes beyond creating, it encompasses much more.
Manish987
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 10

Post by Manish987 »

I definitely agree with the author's statement that meaning of life is to create. Just imagine how would you feel if something very original comes out of you. It can be book, idea, invention, game, device or software or anything that till now has not existed in the world but came to light only because of you. Trust me it would be one of the best experience that you are going to ever have in your life. The purpose and meaning of life lies in creating something new.

Return to “Discuss "There's a Rooster in My Bathroom" by Trish Ostroski”