Meaning of life

Use this forum to discuss the April 2021 Book of the month, "There's a Rooster in My Bathroom: A Quest for Meaning in the Bathroom, the Boardroom and Beyond" by Trish Ostroski.
Esther11
Favorite Book: The Shining
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 18
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-esther11.html
Latest Review: Manifesto for a Cancer Patient by Colleen Huber, NMD
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU

Re: Meaning of life

Post by Esther11 »

Yes, I totally agree with the author. Religions aside, I believe that we create happiness out of our situation and not spend our lives chasing for it. The same for love, money and all that sort of things.
cd20
Favorite Book: Hope Between the Pages
Currently Reading: Growing Slow: Lessons on Un-Hurrying Your Heart from an Accidental Farm Girl
Bookshelf Size: 823
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-cd20.html
Latest Review: Now Unto Him by Melissa Huggins
Reading Device: B00IKPYKWG

Post by cd20 »

Esther11 wrote: 19 Apr 2021, 12:10 Yes, I totally agree with the author. Religions aside, I believe that we create happiness out of our situation and not spend our lives chasing for it. The same for love, money and all that sort of things.
I agree with the author to a point. I think you make valid points. We do have to create our own happiness and we choose how we respond to situations. We also create memories. I had not thought about creating love and money...although if we get married we create a family with our spouse (whether we have children or not, we are a family), and create a home. We work at a job to make money and I guess that is creating income so I can see your points.
Real life is dreadfully tedious, the way it interrupts reading. -Things We Didn't Say by Amy Lynn Green
cd20
Currently Reading: Growing Slow: Lessons on Un-Hurrying Your Heart from an Accidental Farm Girl

Post by cd20 »

Brock Naquin wrote: 18 Apr 2021, 19:47
cd20 wrote: 02 Apr 2021, 14:33 The author states that the meaning of life is to create. Do you agree with this, why or why not? As an interesting aside she also uses the six days of creation (discussed in last month's book forum) as an example of how God created in six days.
I agree because if we didn't create, what would we build? If we can't build, how can we grow? We can't grow how can we successfully pass it all down? It all starts with “creating” goals, steps, etc… I fully agree. Life is all about the correct path, but in order to make sure the right path is, well the right path, you have to build the foundation to make it fit your needs, so you don't have so many Obstacles to go around.
Thank you for sharing your perspective with us. You make very valid points. We are always creating and hopefully always growing. We do need to make or create something that can be passed on from generation to generation. Regardless of what that is. Interesting thoughts.
Real life is dreadfully tedious, the way it interrupts reading. -Things We Didn't Say by Amy Lynn Green
Njatha77
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 20
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-njatha77.html
Latest Review: Wilderness Cry by Hilary L Hunt M.D.

Post by Njatha77 »

I completely agree with the author. I believe that the purpose of life is to create, and we do it everyday both intentionally and inadvertently. Every thought is a form of creation and everything we do too. Also, I believe that the aphorism "as above, so below" is accurate, and we therefore share God's creative attributes. That and, His instruction to "go and multiply the earth". :D
"Difficulty keeps it interesting!"
Heidadela
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 21
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-heidadela.html
Latest Review: Kalayla by Jeannie Nicholas

Post by Heidadela »

I agree that the meaning of life is to create. To create lasting memories, create happiness for you and others. Create a promising future....it's all about creating because without creating, life would be meaningless and boring. Creation means new, every new thing makes life interesting, and when life is interesting it is worth living.
Hiru1998+
Currently Reading: The Hate U Give
Bookshelf Size: 143
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-hiru1998.html
Latest Review: Like My Mother Before Me by Naley Gonzalez

Post by Hiru1998+ »

I agree with the author. For me, the meaning of life is helping the suffering people. It can be in anyway. In finances, in health, in listening to their problems. Isn't it simply creating happiness in others? And when you are kind to someone, the kindness goes on. It's like creating more and more kindness. That is the meaning of life for me.
cd20

Post by cd20 »

Njatha77 wrote: 20 Apr 2021, 01:58 I completely agree with the author. I believe that the purpose of life is to create, and we do it everyday both intentionally and inadvertently. Every thought is a form of creation and everything we do too. Also, I believe that the aphorism "as above, so below" is accurate, and we therefore share God's creative attributes. That and, His instruction to "go and multiply the earth". :D
Thank you for sharing your perspective. I love the way you expressed your opinions. I do believe that part of our purpose is to create. I also love that you pointed out we share God's creative attributes. I had never thought of it that way before!
cd20

Post by cd20 »

Heidadela wrote: 20 Apr 2021, 07:47 I agree that the meaning of life is to create. To create lasting memories, create happiness for you and others. Create a promising future....it's all about creating because without creating, life would be meaningless and boring. Creation means new, every new thing makes life interesting, and when life is interesting it is worth living.
Thanks for sharing your perspective. Your thoughts line up with quite a few others that have shared here. I like how you said without creating life would be meaningless and boring, I agree with you completely! Every new thing does make life interesting.
cd20

Post by cd20 »

Hiru1998+ wrote: 20 Apr 2021, 08:53 I agree with the author. For me, the meaning of life is helping the suffering people. It can be in anyway. In finances, in health, in listening to their problems. Isn't it simply creating happiness in others? And when you are kind to someone, the kindness goes on. It's like creating more and more kindness. That is the meaning of life for me.
I like that. Thanks for sharing your perspective and I see your point. It kind of has the feel do to others as you would have them do to you, the golden rule feel. Typically when someone shows us kindness we want to do the same for others. It is creating more and more kindness, it is the ripple effect.
Trevie Omondi Ayombe
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 7
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-trevie-omondi-ayombe.html
Latest Review: Entanglement - Quantum and Otherwise by John K Danenbarger

Post by Trevie Omondi Ayombe »

Yes, I agree with the author. The sole existence of life is to create. Take a look at it from a different angle, we are social beings and we need other things and people to live. We can create for ourselves or others but in the long run, whatever is created will always influence others just like the creation story that shows all were created to co-exist.
S P
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 16
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-s-p.html
Latest Review: Rediscovering the Wisdom of Human Nature by Chet Shupe

Post by S P »

That's a really interesting quote to discuss. I'm not sure that I subscribe to the belief that there is a "meaning of life" other than to survive, but I do think that humans can't help but create. Whether it's good or bad, the path that we forge for ourselves always involves creating some change in the world. Arguably, most people choose to "create" a meaning to their lives as well!
cd20

Post by cd20 »

Trevor Ayombe wrote: 21 Apr 2021, 09:34 Yes, I agree with the author. The sole existence of life is to create. Take a look at it from a different angle, we are social beings and we need other things and people to live. We can create for ourselves or others but in the long run, whatever is created will always influence others just like the creation story that shows all were created to co-exist.
Thanks for sharing your thoughts and opinion. We do seem to always be creating, memories, social status, money, or whatever. We are social beings and we do need other people to thrive and co-exist.
Goodness C N
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 43
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-goodness-c-n.html
Latest Review: Love Yourself & Lose Weight: The Success Story of Self Love by Katie Lips

Post by Goodness C N »

''The purpose of life is to create." While I believe this means that one must create, in order words, make a substantial impact on a certain area is true. Well, regardless of what exactly a person does, we should all seek/strive to impact or effect worthwhile change.
cd20

Post by cd20 »

Godspraise Precious wrote: 22 Apr 2021, 11:47 ''The purpose of life is to create." While I believe this means that one must create, in order words, make a substantial impact on a certain area is true. Well, regardless of what exactly a person does, we should all seek/strive to impact or effect worthwhile change.
Thanks for sharing your thoughts. I agree that we should try to make a worthwhile impact on the world, hopefully creating meaningful and lasting memories. I am learning there is so much more to creating than I first imagined.
Eddy E
Currently Reading: In the Meantime
Bookshelf Size: 17
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-eddy-e.html
Latest Review: Sena's Black Ross by Linda k jones

Post by Eddy E »

I agree with the author on this. If we are speaking truthfully, all around the things around us are a result of mans creative God given nature. From the houses we live in, offices, parks ,gadgets ,cars we drive and further on. I think the very existence of man will be defeated if we fail to create.

Return to “Discuss "There's a Rooster in My Bathroom" by Trish Ostroski”