Meaning of life

Use this forum to discuss the April 2021 Book of the month, "There's a Rooster in My Bathroom: A Quest for Meaning in the Bathroom, the Boardroom and Beyond" by Trish Ostroski.
Michele H
Favorite Book: Frozen Harvest
Currently Reading: A Siblings Revenge
Bookshelf Size: 46
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-michele-h.html
Latest Review: House of Dads by June Gillam
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU

Re: Meaning of life

Post by Michele H »

I certainly can’t argue with the authors thought process on creation and the meaning of life. We all have a purpose, though we may not know what the purpose is.
cd20
Favorite Book: Hope Between the Pages
Currently Reading: Growing Slow: Lessons on Un-Hurrying Your Heart from an Accidental Farm Girl
Bookshelf Size: 823
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-cd20.html
Latest Review: Now Unto Him by Melissa Huggins
Reading Device: B00IKPYKWG

Post by cd20 »

Michele H wrote: 16 Apr 2021, 09:55 I certainly can’t argue with the authors thought process on creation and the meaning of life. We all have a purpose, though we may not know what the purpose is.
Well, you could argue with her, but obviously, you choose not to. I agree that we do all have a purpose. I do also believe that part of our purpose is creating. Thank you for sharing your thoughts.
Real life is dreadfully tedious, the way it interrupts reading. -Things We Didn't Say by Amy Lynn Green
Dadynna
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 4

Post by Dadynna »

I concur with the creator, however just on the off chance that we don't utilize the most strict meaning of "make." Some would interpret that as meaning we should reproduce or we should make something strong. I don't feel that is the situation. I imagine that on the off chance that we even make bliss in others, that is
Mwatu
Currently Reading: Don't Mind Me, I'm Just Having a Bad Life
Bookshelf Size: 52
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-mwatu.html
Latest Review: Protectors of the Black Prince by Curtis Stephen Burdick

Post by Mwatu »

I agree with the author that the purpose of life is to create. The extents to which and what we actually do create is varied, I believe, from person to person. In this respect, I look at my purpose as to create experiences through the act of service or even enjoyment that improve my quality of life as well as those around me. This can be as deep as being there for a loved one during a hard time or creating business/employment opportunities or planning a birthday party for a friend or holding a crying child.
Iva Stoyanova
Currently Reading: WatchDogs Abnormal Beginnings
Bookshelf Size: 272
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-iva-stoyanova.html
Latest Review: Tau Ceti: A Ship from Earth by George T. Hahn
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU

Post by Iva Stoyanova »

The meaning of life is different for all of us. It depends on our views, feelings, understandings, and beliefs. I, personally, agree that the meaning of life is creation. For me, life is a synonym of creation and starting something new, etc.
"You can be more aware and more present simply by resting in the present moment, open to all that is, without trying to control it or grasp it with the mind. Truly, a marvelous way of being!"

Richard L. Haight
cd20
Currently Reading: Growing Slow: Lessons on Un-Hurrying Your Heart from an Accidental Farm Girl

Post by cd20 »

Dadynna wrote: 17 Apr 2021, 01:25 I concur with the creator, however just on the off chance that we don't utilize the most strict meaning of "make." Some would interpret that as meaning we should reproduce or we should make something strong. I don't feel that is the situation. I imagine that on the off chance that we even make bliss in others, that is
I thought it was the strict meaning of "make" or reproduce, but then listening to what others have said in this forum, I realize it could be to create a lot of different things. I think too when the author said "create" I was more thinking inventions and I was like "that's not me!" But, I do create memories, and things like that, so we are always creating in some ways.
Real life is dreadfully tedious, the way it interrupts reading. -Things We Didn't Say by Amy Lynn Green
cd20

Post by cd20 »

Mwatu wrote: 17 Apr 2021, 02:28 I agree with the author that the purpose of life is to create. The extents to which and what we actually do create is varied, I believe, from person to person. In this respect, I look at my purpose as to create experiences through the act of service or even enjoyment that improve my quality of life as well as those around me. This can be as deep as being there for a loved one during a hard time or creating business/employment opportunities or planning a birthday party for a friend or holding a crying child.
Thank you for taking the time to share your thoughts on this. I agree that part of the purpose of life is to create, and that what we create and how much is varied from person to person. It depends on what we are called to create. I like how you said, "This can be as deep as being there for a loved one during a hard time or creating business/employment opportunities or planning a birthday party for a friend or holding a crying child." Thanks again for sharing your thoughts.
cd20

Post by cd20 »

Eva Stoyanova wrote: 17 Apr 2021, 03:27 The meaning of life is different for all of us. It depends on our views, feelings, understandings, and beliefs. I, personally, agree that the meaning of life is creation. For me, life is a synonym of creation and starting something new, etc.
I don't necessarily think that the meaning of life is different for each of us, so much as we choose to see our meaning of life as different from others. I believe that part of our meaning of life is to create. I believe that how we view our meaning of life depends on how we were raised, our particular viewpoints, and the things in life that have shaped us. Thank you for sharing your opinions on this.
Lauren Doughty
Currently Reading: Street Gang
Bookshelf Size: 875
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-lauren-doughty.html
Latest Review: Head Waggling in Delhi by Eytan Uliel

Post by Lauren Doughty »

I feel like the meaning of life is to transform the world in some way, big or small, so we leave the world better than it started. So to the author's point, creating something is a possible way to transform the world and leave it better than we found it. I am currently reading the book and may update my thoughts as they may change after hearing the author's complete argument.
cd20

Post by cd20 »

Lauren Doughty wrote: 17 Apr 2021, 11:31 I feel like the meaning of life is to transform the world in some way, big or small, so we leave the world better than it started. So to the author's point, creating something is a possible way to transform the world and leave it better than we found it. I am currently reading the book and may update my thoughts as they may change after hearing the author's complete argument.
Hi Lauren, thanks for sharing your thoughts. I agree that we should try to change the world in some small way, leaving the world different than we found it. Obviously, that is going to look a little different for each of us. I am not sure you will change your mind after you finish the book, but if you do feel free to come back and comment again :D
samuel james
Currently Reading: Happy Healing
Bookshelf Size: 14

Post by samuel james »

I sincerely believed that life means nothing to us until we see the meaning of life in our own way. This can only happen when we keep encouraging ourselves and put away fear, doubt and hate. I also believe life to men accomplishment of what you were made to achieved.

I love the topic
Kristin Ransome
Currently Reading: Way of Kings
Bookshelf Size: 35
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-firefawkes.html
Latest Review: The Augur's View by Victoria Lehrer

Post by Kristin Ransome »

I feel that creation gives meaning to life; to create happiness and create a life you are proud of. Looking at "creating" in a strictly material sense does not fully encapsulate the entire meaning of life
cd20

Post by cd20 »

samuel james wrote: 17 Apr 2021, 20:49 I sincerely believed that life means nothing to us until we see the meaning of life in our own way. This can only happen when we keep encouraging ourselves and put away fear, doubt and hate. I also believe life to men accomplishment of what you were made to achieved.

I love the topic
So do you see "creating" as part of your meaning of life? I do believe that we do need to encourage ourselves, putting away fear, doubt, and hate, as they could be holding us back from fulfilling our meaning of life. Thanks for sharing your thoughts on the meaning of life.
cd20

Post by cd20 »

Firefawkes wrote: 18 Apr 2021, 07:57 I feel that creation gives meaning to life; to create happiness and create a life you are proud of. Looking at "creating" in a strictly material sense does not fully encapsulate the entire meaning of life
I would have to agree with you. I do believe that creation gives meaning to life and we should work to create a life that we are proud of. I also agree, as do many others who have posted here, that "creating" in a strictly material sense does not give the full meaning of life. I do believe that creating is a part of our meaning of life. Thanks for commenting and sharing your thoughts.
Brock Naquin
Bookshelf Size: 0

Post by Brock Naquin »

cd20 wrote: 02 Apr 2021, 14:33 The author states that the meaning of life is to create. Do you agree with this, why or why not? As an interesting aside she also uses the six days of creation (discussed in last month's book forum) as an example of how God created in six days.
I agree because if we didn't create, what would we build? If we can't build, how can we grow? We can't grow how can we successfully pass it all down? It all starts with “creating” goals, steps, etc… I fully agree. Life is all about the correct path, but in order to make sure the right path is, well the right path, you have to build the foundation to make it fit your needs, so you don't have so many Obstacles to go around.

Return to “Discuss "There's a Rooster in My Bathroom" by Trish Ostroski”