Free Will

Use this forum to discuss the March 2021 Book of the month, "The Biblical Clock: The Untold Secrets Linking the Universe and Humanity with God’s Plan" by Daniel Friedmann, Dania Sheldon
MarcellaM
Currently Reading: Grey heart
Bookshelf Size: 62
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-shillah-a.html
Latest Review: The Fox by M. N. J. Butler

Re: Free Will

Post by MarcellaM »

I do not quite agree with the authour since i believe God still presents himself to us, sometimes personally and sometimes so everyone can see.
Phoenix_ Thompson
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 14
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-phoenix-thompson.html
Latest Review: We are Voulhire: Someone Else's End by Matthew Tysz

Post by Phoenix_ Thompson »

I also do agree that we are given free will because when reading the bible, God say "I will judge thyself according to thy work" hence freewill is a necessity for us to give a full account of our lives during judgement day.
Gemjay
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 23
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-gemjay.html
Latest Review: The Legacy of Job's Wife by Cynthia Koelker

Post by Gemjay »

I tend to disagree with that. Free will is the ability to choose what we want and it has nothing to do with why God's hidden.
Francis Aderogbin
Favorite Book: Money Faucet
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 189
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-francis-aderogbin.html
Latest Review: Donny and Mary Grace's California Adventures by Catherine A. Pepe

Post by Francis Aderogbin »

I believe God gives us free will so we can do as we wish. And he is hidden so we won't be compelled to believe him. If he is to be available physically like in exodus, then many will be compelled to believe in him. He is also very jealous, He would have destroyed all humanity. in addition, he wants someone who will truly love him of which if he is present physically, it will be hard to find someone who truly loves him.
Dartemis
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 32
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-dartemis.html
Latest Review: The Fourth Kinetic by Brady Moore

Post by Dartemis »

I have to disagree with this. Free will is your choice and I don’t see how that can apply in this scenario. Why God chooses to stay hidden and freedom of choice seem like two completely different things.
cd20
Favorite Book: Hope Between the Pages
Currently Reading: Growing Slow: Lessons on Un-Hurrying Your Heart from an Accidental Farm Girl
Bookshelf Size: 823
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-cd20.html
Latest Review: Now Unto Him by Melissa Huggins
Reading Device: B00IKPYKWG

Post by cd20 »

Shillah A wrote: 29 Mar 2021, 05:06 I do not quite agree with the authour since i believe God still presents himself to us, sometimes personally and sometimes so everyone can see.
I agree, I do believe that God does present Himself, although not physically and we can see Him around us, especially if we are looking for Him. I do believe we have free will, but not just because God might hide Himself.
Real life is dreadfully tedious, the way it interrupts reading. -Things We Didn't Say by Amy Lynn Green
cd20
Currently Reading: Growing Slow: Lessons on Un-Hurrying Your Heart from an Accidental Farm Girl

Post by cd20 »

Phoenix_ Thompson wrote: 29 Mar 2021, 08:24 I also do agree that we are given free will because when reading the bible, God say "I will judge thyself according to thy work" hence freewill is a necessity for us to give a full account of our lives during judgement day.
Yes, I agree, we do have free will and we will be judged. If we did not have free will what would be the point of a judgment because we would just do what we were told to do. There would be no need for it.
Real life is dreadfully tedious, the way it interrupts reading. -Things We Didn't Say by Amy Lynn Green
cd20

Post by cd20 »

Gemjay wrote: 29 Mar 2021, 08:33 I tend to disagree with that. Free will is the ability to choose what we want and it has nothing to do with why God's hidden.
I am open to it being a possibility as to one of the reasons God is hidden, but not the full reason. However, I do not recall ever reading about God being hidden so we could have free will, that is something that would take a bit more research. Thank you for your perspective on this.
cd20

Post by cd20 »

lumenchristi wrote: 29 Mar 2021, 19:33 I believe God gives us free will so we can do as we wish. And he is hidden so we won't be compelled to believe him. If he is to be available physically like in exodus, then many will be compelled to believe in him. He is also very jealous, He would have destroyed all humanity. in addition, he wants someone who will truly love him of which if he is present physically, it will be hard to find someone who truly loves him.
But God was physically present in Exodus like you said, and still, people did not believe in Him, completely forgetting about Him, making idols, and worshipping other gods. I don't think it is hard to truly love someone who is physically present, I think it is harder to love someone who we can't see or is absent. I appreciate your thoughts and perspective on this.
cd20

Post by cd20 »

Dartemis wrote: 29 Mar 2021, 20:13 I have to disagree with this. Free will is your choice and I don’t see how that can apply in this scenario. Why God chooses to stay hidden and freedom of choice seem like two completely different things.
Free will is our choice, given to us by God. I agree that why God chooses to stay hidden and our choice of freedom are two different things, but I am open to the possibility that one of the reasons that God is not physically present is so that we can trust in Him, believe in Him, and possibly so we can have free will.
OB Brian
Currently Reading: Shame Off You
Bookshelf Size: 193
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ob-brian.html
Latest Review: Donny and Mary Grace's California Adventure by Catherine A. Pepe

Post by OB Brian »

cd20 wrote: 06 Mar 2021, 18:52 The authors explain that the reason everything looks like it happened naturally over a long period of time is "Because if it were obvious that the world had been created in six days, there would be no free will, no way to doubt the existence of the Creator. God is hidden so that we can function as human beings with free will." What do you think of this? Do you agree or disagree? Why?
I do BN not agree. Humans are not the only creatures in existence. Yet we are the ones with free will. Does that mean that it is obvious to the other creatures that the world was created in six days?
Jackie Holycross
Currently Reading: The 7 Experiment
Bookshelf Size: 306
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-teacherjh.html
Latest Review: 20 World Religions and Faith Practices by Robyn Lebron

Post by Jackie Holycross »

cd20 wrote: 06 Mar 2021, 18:52 The authors explain that the reason everything looks like it happened naturally over a long period of time is "Because if it were obvious that the world had been created in six days, there would be no free will, no way to doubt the existence of the Creator. God is hidden so that we can function as human beings with free will." What do you think of this? Do you agree or disagree? Why?
I had never heard anything like this theory. I tend to disagree. I think God left his fingerprints on the universe to lead us to a belief in Him. The creation points to a creater.
Phoenix_ Thompson
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 14
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-phoenix-thompson.html
Latest Review: We are Voulhire: Someone Else's End by Matthew Tysz

Post by Phoenix_ Thompson »

Free will is subjected to all of us for simply reason of fulfilling His divine plan, imagine loving God because you are forced, we would definitely rebel and the outcome will be so unspeakable.
Kenna Ridzi
Currently Reading: Iron Gold
Bookshelf Size: 23
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kenna-ridzi.html
Latest Review: Waterworks by Jack Winnick

Post by Kenna Ridzi »

I mostly agree with this. If there were a known God, people would know that everything they do is for a reason, therefore destroying the concept of free will. I believe God gave us a choice to believe in Him or not and if we choose to believe in Him, we will have his support and guidance, but not his knowledge because He is in fact hidden. The people who choose to believe in Him have to be okay with the possibility of not having their own free will, but I agree with the statement above and I think God stays hidden for this reason.
Parahiyo
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 31
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-parahiyo.html
Latest Review: Learn to Love: Guide to Healing Your Disappointing Love Life by Thomas Jordan, Ph.D.

Post by Parahiyo »

I do believe that the earth was created in six days and that God's exists. Even though He has control over everything He dignifies us with free will. The bible encourages us on what to choose to do with our lives but whatever we choose either right or wrong the consequences will be faced individually.

Return to “Discuss "The Biblical Clock" by Daniel Friedmann, Dania Sheldon”