Writing style

Use this forum to discuss the March 2021 Book of the month, "The Biblical Clock: The Untold Secrets Linking the Universe and Humanity with God’s Plan" by Daniel Friedmann, Dania Sheldon
Huini Hellen
Official Reviewer Representative
Currently Reading: Conversing with Various Entities
Bookshelf Size: 112
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-huini-hellen.html
Latest Review: Play Golf Better Faster: The Little Golf Bag Book by Kalliope Barlis

Re: Writing style

Post by Huini Hellen »

I agree that for such a simple and dry topic, a simple writing style is most welcome. Moreover, the language will enable the reader not to get bored easily as they read along.
The mind adapts and converts to its own purposes the obstacle to our acting. The impediment to action advances action. What stands in the way becomes the way. - Marcus Aurelius
Anusha Thatavarthi
Book of the Month Participant
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 129
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-anusha-thatavarthi.html
Latest Review: The Reel Sisters by Michelle Cummings

Post by Anusha Thatavarthi »

I liked the anecdotes and the conversations. They added an interesting note to the book which otherwise would have been a just pouring theories, scriptures and calculations.
Myladysarah
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 13
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-myladysarah.html
Latest Review: Underdog Thinking by Atul Vir

Post by Myladysarah »

I enjoyed how the dialogues would make the information conveyed seem less dry, but I also felt it could have lessened how convincing the information was. The dialogues made the book seem a bit more fictitious than I would have liked. It makes the reader wonder how much of what he's saying is fiction and how much is actually historically evidenced.
Mtibza eM
Favorite Book:
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 102
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-mtibza-em.html
Latest Review: Am I Burned Out at Work? by Salar A. Khan MD, MBA

Post by Mtibza eM »

No, it irritated me so much. I even got lost in the middle of the book. I understand what the authors were trying to achieve, but unfortunately it rubbed me the wrong way.
Laura Britos
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 45
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ana-victoria2002.html
Latest Review: The Last Time I Saw Alice by Richard Kirschenbaum

Post by Laura Britos »

MsH2k wrote: 01 Mar 2021, 18:27 I did appreciate the narrative style that the authors used in this book. I think breaking up the content with dialog and other stories gives the reader a chance to digest some of the information presented.
I think that narrating a more science based book as if it was a story allows the writer to create a more natural flow that readers enjoy more. Otherwise it feels like you are reading an encyclopaedia and it is not as enjoyable.
Marcel Cantu
Currently Reading: Under Another Sun
Bookshelf Size: 42
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-marcel-cantu.html
Latest Review: Elizabeth's Garden by Phillip Leighton-Daly

Post by Marcel Cantu »

raluca_mihaila wrote: 01 Mar 2021, 09:37 Did you appreciate the writing style? Presenting the book like a dialogue with Seb and including the educational stories.
I think it is a great way to simplify and create engagement for such a dry and difficult topic.
I did appreciate the writing style. I think the dialogue makes the topic more personal and gives context to the complex subject matter. It really enhances the reader's understanding by putting the subject matter into real-world conversation.
Caroline Anne Richmond
Book of the Month Participant
Currently Reading: The Little Book of Bad Intentions
Bookshelf Size: 146
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-caroline-anne-richmond.html
Latest Review: Living in a Two-Faced Jungle by Michael A Powell

Post by Caroline Anne Richmond »

I enjoyed the narrative and writing style of the book. The subject matter is serious and could be a bit boring to read without this engaging style.
Zwelakhe_mkhatshwa
Currently Reading: Fear Not, Dream Big, & Execute
Bookshelf Size: 16
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-zwelakhe-mkhatshwa.html
Latest Review: Final Diagnosis by J. T. Madicus

Post by Zwelakhe_mkhatshwa »

The dialogue and narrative style of writing is awesome mainly because it relating of the story to the reader literally easy
TheMazeRunner
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 102
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-themazerunner.html
Latest Review: Lady of the Play by Deena Lindstedt

Post by TheMazeRunner »

I actually like the style of writing. I could say it is the best of both worlds because we get the most from the book with this style of writing with lots of dialogues.
zainherb
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 130
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-zainherb.html
Latest Review: Legacy by Chris Coppel

Post by zainherb »

raluca_mihaila wrote: 01 Mar 2021, 09:37 Did you appreciate the writing style? Presenting the book like a dialogue with Seb and including the educational stories.
I think it is a great way to simplify and create engagement for such a dry and difficult topic.
Indeed!
I think this topic could have been discussed in an interesting way using only a few methods, and the author found one of those methods.
The discussion with Seb certainly made us feel like we were in a discussion with the author as well.
:techie-reference:
Latest Review: Legacy by Chris Coppel
Mvictoria
Currently Reading: Midnight Sun
Bookshelf Size: 46
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-mvictoria.html
Latest Review: Kalayla by Jeannie Nicholas

Post by Mvictoria »

MsH2k wrote: 01 Mar 2021, 18:27 I did appreciate the narrative style that the authors used in this book. I think breaking up the content with dialog and other stories gives the reader a chance to digest some of the information presented.
I totally agree with you! I think that this book was presented and written in a way that allowed me to connect with the characters and major religious leaders in a way that most books do not allow me to do. I also agree that it gave some time to slow down and not take in so much material at once.
Dartemis
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 32
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-dartemis.html
Latest Review: The Fourth Kinetic by Brady Moore

Post by Dartemis »

The writing style for this book confused me more than anything. I couldn't tell exactly what it was that I was reading majorly of the time. It felt like the author was trying to write multiple stories at once. It just didn't work for me.
joynob24365
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 24
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-joynob24365.html
Latest Review: Weeping Goes Unheard by Lucia Mann

Post by joynob24365 »

Yes, it makes it way more entertaining. Also, I'm a bit impressed by how the author managed to describe everything and tought with this writing style.
markodim721
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 482
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-markodim721.html
Latest Review: The Solution is Political Revolution by Jillion R Rising

Post by markodim721 »

So far, I appreciate the author's writing style. I find the author's style direct, which helps maintain the reader's attention.
zulfiyya
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 12
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-zulfiyya.html
Latest Review: Wilderness Cry by Hilary L Hunt M.D.

Post by zulfiyya »

I did not enjoy the writing style because for most of the book I felt like I was reading a textbook and I found it very dry and difficult to stay engaged. I do think that the writing style gave the author more credibility to what he was saying though which is good for those who are reading it for answers rather than a story.

Return to “Discuss "The Biblical Clock" by Daniel Friedmann, Dania Sheldon”