The Count of Monte Cristo by Alexander Dumas.

Please use this sub-forum to discuss any classic books or any very old fiction books or series.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Jretting
Bookshelf Size: 0
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-jretting.html

Re: The Count of Monte Cristo by Alexander Dumas.

Post by Jretting »

I had to read this book when I was a sophmore in high school, and I'm glad I did, it's my favorite book. The lengths Dantes has to go to to fully gain his revenge is at times painful. I read the unabridged version, and I still have it in my closet.
Beth Davids
Favorite Author: Charles Dickens
Currently Reading: The Day Christ Died
Bookshelf Size: 111
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-beth-davids.html
Latest Review: "A Tale of the Legendary King and His Twin Princesses" by Genevieve Sarpong
fav_author_id: 2384

Post by Beth Davids »

I enjoyed this story. Aside from the fact that I don't condone some of the choices he made, it is very well written! I wish I could write like that!
Latest Review: "A Tale of the Legendary King and His Twin Princesses" by Genevieve Sarpong
AHazard
Currently Reading: Daniel Deronda
Bookshelf Size: 3
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ahazard.html
Latest Review: "That Child Within" by Brian Cecil

Post by AHazard »

If one is looking for suspense, craftiness, and plotting, then look no further. This book captures you and places you into the world of 17th century France. The Count of Monte Cristo (the character) is one of the most interesting characters that you know the least about of any of the other hundreds of novels I have read. The author leads you through his life, and the tangles of the other lives surrounding the Count. You can feel yourself starting to love and hate the individual characters and cheering when the Count's plans succeed. I would read this novel over and over again because the details included might be missed the first time. The dialect and word choice are lovely and fitting for the time period. It seems to me a very accurate depiction of the way life used to work in France, which was only good to you if you had money.
This book is a must read for any avid reader's repertoire. You will not be able to put it down. I am trying my best to not include any spoilers because every detail is important to the plot and timeline of events. Make sure to read this novel carefully and remember all the names!

Happy reading! :D
Latest Review: "That Child Within" by Brian Cecil
MrsCatInTheHat
Favorite Book: Cry the Beloved Country
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 376
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-mrscatinthehat.html
Latest Review: Marc Marci by Larry G. Goldsmith
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU
Publishing Contest Votes: 0

Post by MrsCatInTheHat »

This is one of my favorite classics. You get to learn a bit about life in France in the 1600s as well as really delve into some interesting characters. And cry a bit as well.
Life without a good book is something MrsCatInTheHat cannot imagine.
BreeMc
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-breemc.html

Post by BreeMc »

I'd really love to read this story again, as I don't remember much of it. My roommate in college was reading it and she couldn't put it down, so I decided to pick it up. I LOVED it. I remember not being as thrilled by the movie.
saint 71094
Bookshelf Size: 12
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-saint-71094.html

Post by saint 71094 »

one of the best books i have ever read with a good plot.i also love his other book three musketeers . this is the books that teaches u anything is possible if we are rightly motivated .the way the lead character plans his revenge is amazing
Sps_007
Bookshelf Size: 13
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-sps-007.html

Post by Sps_007 »

I read this book about 15 years ago and it is still one of my favorite stories. After reading these reviews, I am afraid I read the abridged version. Guess I will have to go back and reread it. Oh darn ;) I loved everything about this book; from the plot to the writing style to the characters.
Salisbury Wild

Post by Salisbury Wild »

:D :D :D
Tazpocket wrote:In many cases the movie dose not do the book justice, and the Count of Monte Cristo is one of them. Dumas can be slow, and I do admit to never being able to actually finish The Three Musketeers, but the Count sweeps me away every time. The book allows for a much better punishment for the villians, and a sweeter reward for our hero than the movies ever do. It is amazing how a few missing pieces change the plot. I much prefer Dumas' ending to Hollywood's.
-- 07 Sep 2016, 20:30 --

An absolutely wonderful book that takes you back a time of adventure, real heroes and exciting tale! I always enjoy moving forward into the past
Victor Zuanazzi

Post by Victor Zuanazzi »

The Count of Monte Cristo was one of the longgest and fastest books I've ever read! I am not a serial reader at all, I like to take time and enjoy the book rather than pile them one after another. The first 100 pages are just painful, it was a mixture of wanting to read more to see when and how it would shift and wanting to stop reading because there was plenty of tragedy already!

Dumas knew how to make his readers emotionaly bond with his stories! He does that better in The Count of Monte Cristo than in the Three mosketeers I've only read these two so far).

To regard the movie, I haven't seen nor waant to... The book was so great I am afraid the movie may spoil it a bit.

-- 07 Sep 2016, 23:11 --

The Count of Monte Cristo was one of the longgest and fastest books I've ever read! I am not a serial reader at all, I like to take time and enjoy the book rather than pile them one after another. The first 100 pages are just painful, it was a mixture of wanting to read more to see when and how it would shift and wanting to stop reading because there was plenty of tragedy already!

Dumas knew how to make his readers emotionaly bond with his stories! He does that better in The Count of Monte Cristo than in the Three mosketeers I've only read these two so far).

To regard the movie, I haven't seen nor waant to... The book was so great I am afraid the movie may spoil it a bit.
Tolive-notexist

Post by Tolive-notexist »

My paperback CoMC is 'well-loved'. The other day I realized my three favorite books have some things in common - Count of Monte Christo, Ben Hur, and Les Miserables - I'm not a vengeful person - promise ?

I remembering first reading it and wondering if I could go to prison instead of school - it seemed more useful.
Victor Zuanazzi

Post by Victor Zuanazzi »

Tolive-notexist wrote:My paperback CoMC is 'well-loved'. The other day I realized my three favorite books have some things in common - Count of Monte Christo, Ben Hur, and Les Miserables - I'm not a vengeful person - promise ?

I remembering first reading it and wondering if I could go to prison instead of school - it seemed more useful.
hahaha! it's5 in the morning and i couldn't hold myself from laughing out loud!

and just for the sake of the debate, schools have more in common with prisons than whit creative environments.
zachariahs
Bookshelf Size: 7

Post by zachariahs »

I read CMC the day before I started my first day of high school and I was SO HOOKED. The story is just so wildly captivating and beautiful. What I really adore about it is the fact that although it's a brutal, bitter revenge tragedy and rollercoaster of an adventure, Dantes remains this tenderhearted, God-fearing man despite everything that's happened to him. Like, the characters are all just so genuinely human, and that isn't 3D writing that one comes across often in literature.

However, when I read it, I bought the abridged Barnes and Nobles version, so you can imagine how upset I was when I ran through all 600 pages and realized that out there there was an edition that had 200-300 extra pages of adventures!!! :cry:
electricsunflowers
Bookshelf Size: 22

Post by electricsunflowers »

Even in the calmest moments I was gritting my teeth in anticipation. I haven't read many revenge stories;
is this truly the best one of all time? Or does anybody disagree?
NovelConversations

Post by NovelConversations »

I agree; this is one of my favorite novels of all time--maybe number one on the list! It is difficult today, to find novels that evoke emotion without making me feel as if the author is using cheap gimmicks to create a reaction. The Count of Monte Cristo is not a fluffy tear-jerker, yet I empathizes with Dantes more than most literary figures (Scarlet O'Hara compares). Often in reading, I grow weary of a character's goals, especially when they include something ill-intentioned, such as revenge. However, the revenge plots seem semi-justifiable, and I so empathize with Dantes that I am forgiving of his malice. The novel is certainly not a revenge-motivated soap opera, yet it has the same ability to retain my attention with dozens of subplots, adventures and plot twists. In some way Alexander Dumas elevates this story beyond the pettiness that it could be, and creates one of the most captivating/entrancing novels of all time.

Thankfully my brother made the abridged error before I attempted reading this, so he gave me the complete edition for Christmas. It certainly does make a great gift!
SpiderDreamer1

Post by SpiderDreamer1 »

Easily one of my favorite classic novels, though I find a lot of adaptations interesting as well. There's a great Japanese anime version called Gankutsuou that's very sci-fi in terms of aesthetics.

Return to “Classic Books”