The Count of Monte Cristo by Alexander Dumas.

Please use this sub-forum to discuss any classic books or any very old fiction books or series.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Deee
Favorite Author: J.R.R. Tolkien
Favorite Book: <a href="http://forums.onlinebookclub.org/shelve ... 18984">The Two Towers</a>
Currently Reading: Second Foundation
Bookshelf Size: 1417
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-deee.html
Reading Device: B00IKPYKWG

Re: The Count of Monte Cristo by Alexander Dumas.

Post by Deee »

I read this so long ago and it still remains a favorite of mine. I love a good revenge story. I know if I was ever wronged like that, I would not have the patience for all that plotting, so I will live vicariously through the count.
"But to find out the truth about how dreams die, one should never take the word of the dreamer."

Toni Morrison, The Bluest Eye.
mikesx50
Bookshelf Size: 0

Post by mikesx50 »

I finished this book - the unabridged version - a few weeks ago. It's up there with the best books I've ever read.
humanracer

Post by humanracer »

nerubian wrote:I have just finished reading this for the second time, the first being nearly 10 years ago.

Some thoughts.

Did anyone else find the transition from Edmond to the Count rather abrupt and jarring?.

The novel was written by more than one person. Dumas originally intended the story to start at the "Rome" section. It was Dumas collaborator Auguste Maquet who suggested that he tell of how Dantes came to be betrayed. COMC is really a story of three parts - Marseille, Rome and Paris.

Is there some deeper meaning or allegory attached to Caderousse?

Not really. He is just a petty criminal who never seems to grasp the chances given to him in life, unlike Dantes who feels he was given another chance by God. I suppose you could compare him to the athiest innkeeper Thenardier from Les Miserables.

Why did the Count delay exposing his plan with Valentine to Max for so long?,
This was explained in the Count's letter to Max. He wanted to show Max that to understand true happiness you have to experience great pain. To want to live, you have to know what it is like to wish to die. You could argue about the Count's morals here.

Why did he let Danglars go with 50,000 francs?
Mercy and pity I suspect. At this point the Count felt his revenge had gone far enough. He also didn't care about money at this point. It was superficial to him.

Poor Mercedes!, she truly came out one of if not the worst of all the characters.
Yes. It seems Dantes (and possibly Dumas) judgement of her changed throughout the book. In one scene the Count tell her she has been too hard on herself and implies that he will help her financially yet in another scene Dantes call her "faithless".

I find all the adapations of COMC interesting. Dumas did his own adaptation in the form of a four part play. It is different from the book in that the stories of how the Count got revenge on Mondego and Villefort are told separately. Characters such as Vampa are also omitted. There was another famous play written in the 1850s by Charles Fechter. James O'neil starred in the play and became a megastar. This play ends with Mercedes and the Count reuniting and Mercedes revealing that Albert is Dantes son!

Going back to the book, I felt like we were never quite sure how Dantes felt about his revenge mission. He seemed to suffer great regret after the death of Eduoard but later became more firm in his belief that he was doing the right thing. The novel is long enough but I would have liked to have seen Dantes show more regret. I suppose you could look at Jean Valjean in Les Miserables as the opposite of Dantes.
Mavens

Post by Mavens »

Best revenge book I've ever read. "It is not the tree that leaves the blossom but the blossom that leaves the tree." Even if the book wasn't awesome, which it is, that line would redeem it all for me.
Sweet_Lullaby
Bookshelf Size: 1
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-sweet-lullaby.html
Latest Review: "The Key-Stone of the Bridge" by Craig Meggy

Post by Sweet_Lullaby »

I've read the first book and I have to say that it is one of my favorite classics. I hope to read the second book soon!!
Latest Review: "The Key-Stone of the Bridge" by Craig Meggy
Mavens

Post by Mavens »

What is the second book?
chouk1902
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-chouk1902.html

Post by chouk1902 »

This is one of my top 10 favorite books, Alexander Dumas works are simply amazing. Another book that i enjoyed that was also by him is "The Black Tulip."
ananya92
Favorite Author: Jeffrey Archer
Favorite Book: Pride and Prejudice
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 111
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ananya92.html
Latest Review: A Passover in Peshawar by AM Sardar
fav_author_id: 4949

Post by ananya92 »

I read this book in my teens and really enjoyed the author's execution of the theme in the book. The way Dumas treats the issue of revenge and persuades the reader to accept reveNge as the answer is I think what impresses me the most. It is definitely worth a read.
datchristy
Bookshelf Size: 1

Post by datchristy »

This is my favorite book of all-time! It's like a mystery, but not really, and there are so many little things that just make it amazing! I'm looking into getting the unabridged version because I am sure that I am missing other very interesting parts by not reading that. If you haven't read it, you most definitely should.
PashaRu
Currently Reading: Vicars of Christ - The Dark Side of the Papacy
Bookshelf Size: 191
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-pasharu.html
Latest Review: "Damn Females on the Lawn" by Rachel Hurd

Post by PashaRu »

Heard an old-timey radio quiz show once where a contestant actually answered a question with "Alexander Dumbass." Everyone laughed, so she corrected herself by saying, "Oh, Henry Dumbass!"
[Insert quote here. Read. Raise an eyebrow. Be mildly amused. Rinse & repeat.]
Latest Review: "Damn Females on the Lawn" by Rachel Hurd
MommyRussell
Favorite Author: Laura Wright
Currently Reading: The Fiery Heart
Bookshelf Size: 70
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-mommyrussell.html
Latest Review: "Flaherty's Crossing" by Kaylin McFarren
fav_author_id: 3969

Post by MommyRussell »

I really enjoyed this book, I had to read it in High School and I found it to be quite interesting and one of the best books about the era it is written.
Latest Review: "Flaherty's Crossing" by Kaylin McFarren
Rahman

Post by Rahman »

I read it long ago, abridged version. Images from the story, once drawn, are now littel blurry, though I liked it very much along with Dumas The Three Musketeers. The evocative discussions here are certainly persuading me to give a reread. Think it is well worthy to collect an unabridged version.
JoMama123
Bookshelf Size: 68
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-jomama123.html

Post by JoMama123 »

I read this book a few years ago for book club and I loved it! I had seen the movie adaptation and liked it, but it seemed as if the movie borrowed the main idea of the book and some characters and made a completely new story. I like the book better for a variety of reasons. First of all, I felt that Edmund actually felt real remorse at the end of the book that I didn't feel at the end of the movie. I also felt that the book was much more realistic with regards to the relationships of the characters. I consider this to be one of my favorite classics.
bluemel4
Previous Member of the Month
Favorite Author: Anne Bishop
Currently Reading: The Dark Tower, Books 1-3
Bookshelf Size: 466
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-bluemel4.html
Latest Review: "Severed Threads" by Kaylin McFarren
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU
fav_author_id: 6086

Post by bluemel4 »

I have not read The Count of Monte Cristo but have had it enthusiastically recommended to me. I have seen a couple of the film adaptations and felt skeptical about taking the book on. But this forum has convinced me. I am going to give it a try.
"Life is a journey, not a destination" --Ralph Waldo Emerson
Latest Review: "Severed Threads" by Kaylin McFarren
Tazpocket
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-tazpocket.html

Post by Tazpocket »

In many cases the movie dose not do the book justice, and the Count of Monte Cristo is one of them. Dumas can be slow, and I do admit to never being able to actually finish The Three Musketeers, but the Count sweeps me away every time. The book allows for a much better punishment for the villians, and a sweeter reward for our hero than the movies ever do. It is amazing how a few missing pieces change the plot. I much prefer Dumas' ending to Hollywood's.

Return to “Classic Books”