Mark Twain and His Classics

Please use this sub-forum to discuss any classic books or any very old fiction books or series.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Paliden
Currently Reading: White Cargo
Bookshelf Size: 1028
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-paliden.html
Latest Review: "Justified Anger" by Jennifer Colne

Re: Mark Twain and His Classics

Post by Paliden »

Tom Sawyer and Huck Finn are obviously his most famous works. Great books!
But I also really enjoy The Prince and the Pauper, and A Connecticut Yankee in King Arthur's Court
Latest Review: "Justified Anger" by Jennifer Colne
Sine_Ni_Ceallach
Currently Reading: The Iliad by Homer
Bookshelf Size: 0
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-sine-ni-ceallach.html

Post by Sine_Ni_Ceallach »

I asked for, and subsequently received a copy of A Connecticut Yankee in King Arthur's Court last Christmas. I really loved it, some of the passages had me quite literally laughing out loud, which is rare for me. In the words of G.K. Chesterton: "In all those excruciating tales of [Twain's], which in our youth made us ill with laughing, the idea always consisted in carrying some small fact or notion to more and more frantic lengths of deduction. If a man's hat was as high as a house Mark Twain would think of some way of calling it twenty times higher than a house. If his hat was smashed as flat as a pancake, Mark Twain would invent some startling and happy metaphor to prove that it was smashed twenty times flatter than a pancake." I would highly recommend it to anyone as a fantastic piece of 19th century American literature.
"I could not be sure she was sane; and, in fact, there was a certain restless brilliancy about her eyes that half led me to imagine she was not." -Edgar Allan Poe
DanBR

Post by DanBR »

Sine_Ni_Ceallach wrote:I asked for, and subsequently received a copy of A Connecticut Yankee in King Arthur's Court last Christmas. I really loved it, some of the passages had me quite literally laughing out loud, which is rare for me. In the words of G.K. Chesterton: "In all those excruciating tales of [Twain's], which in our youth made us ill with laughing, the idea always consisted in carrying some small fact or notion to more and more frantic lengths of deduction. If a man's hat was as high as a house Mark Twain would think of some way of calling it twenty times higher than a house. If his hat was smashed as flat as a pancake, Mark Twain would invent some startling and happy metaphor to prove that it was smashed twenty times flatter than a pancake." I would highly recommend it to anyone as a fantastic piece of 19th century American literature.
That is very true of Twain. I remember something he wrote one time about an inaccurate revolver he's owned: that once it fired, no person or thing in the world would be safe except those standing directly in front of it.
Craigable
Bookshelf Size: 3
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-craigable.html
Latest Review: "How To NOT Get A Job" by Charlene Holsendorff

Post by Craigable »

I read "Letters from the Earth" many moons ago. I still associate it with a short story by Twain titled "A Cat-Tale." Possibly "Letters" was included in a posthumous collection along with other little known works by the author. Anyway, "A Cat-Tale" is a bedtime story about a cat family. A funny and adorable tale thanks chiefly to wordplay involving the word "cat." A mini work of American comic genius.

The last Twain work I read was The Innocents Abroad, a nonfiction work featuring the author's experiences on an excursion to Europe and the Holy Land. I think Twain was being paid to write about the trip by a newspaper that was publishing his remarks in installments.
Latest Review: "How To NOT Get A Job" by Charlene Holsendorff
Felisari
Favorite Author: Nora Roberts
Favorite Book: The Eight - Katerine Neville
Currently Reading: Les Miserables - Victor Hugo
fav_author_id: 3258

Post by Felisari »

One of my last reading was " A Yanki in King arthur's court" From Mark Twain. I really enjoyed some chapters and situations in the book. But really there were some parts I felt a bit bored about.

Anyway, I preffer the Huckleberries Flynt series :)
Nathrad Sheare
Favorite Author: Hawthorne and Poe
Favorite Book: The Scarlet Letter
Currently Reading: Too much
Bookshelf Size: 20
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-nathrad-sheare.html
Latest Review: "No Poverty Between the Sheets" by Pauline Kiely

Post by Nathrad Sheare »

Mark Twain was a funnyman. I have to say that was the most charming thing about his work, the best of which I think was "Adventures of Huckleberry Finn." I was reading it aloud one day to my grandma and my mom decided to join in. We almost had her rolling on the floor laughing. (Text talk is so much more attractive when unraveled in conversation, hm? :D ) A very clever book.

I was never too keen on "Tom Sawyer," though there were a few parts that had some mff here and there. I thought that Tom Sawyer's unusual mind was more entertaining in Huck Finn's telling.
Those who dream by day are cognizant of many things that escape those who only dream at night.

-Edgar Allan Poe
Latest Review: "No Poverty Between the Sheets" by Pauline Kiely
QueenCat
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-queencat.html

Post by QueenCat »

I remember reading Tom Sawyer, Huckleberry Finn, and A Connecticut Yankee in King Arthur's Court as a child. Loved them then and still do. The Diaries of Adam and Eve is funny, profound and thought provoking. I haven't read anything of his that doesn't become one of my favorites.
godreaujea
Currently Reading: Station Eleven
Bookshelf Size: 347
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-godreaujea.html
Latest Review: Island Games by Caleb J. Boyer

Post by godreaujea »

Last year I had to read Huckleberry Finn in a college class and I loved it. Twain really brought the story to life.
MASaint
Currently Reading: The Banned Book about Love
Bookshelf Size: 7
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-masaint.html

Post by MASaint »

Twain's The Adventures of Tom Sawyer and The Adventures of Huckleberry Finn were the books that hooked me on reading and I still reread them yearly. The life lessons in them and the pure Americana are a joy to re-live often.
I have recommended them to all the younger members of my family, as the years have pasted, and have been rewarded with many, if not most, of our youth becoming readers and several writers.
All the Mark Twain's books and Sayings should be 'must reads' in every school in our country.
ninachatterjee
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ninachatterjee.html
Latest Review: "My Trip to Adele" by A.I.Alyaseer, R.I.Alyaseer

Post by ninachatterjee »

It is exactly as stated: beautiful, historical satire. One of Mark Twain's best written works. It establishes the dire contrast in characteristics of a prince and a pauper / beggar boy whose places are switched. I especially loved the little hidden comic relief moments in between the entire storyline that shows intensely how lives differed so vastly in those days.
Latest Review: "My Trip to Adele" by A.I.Alyaseer, R.I.Alyaseer
shootseven

Post by shootseven »

Letters from the Earth is one of the funniest, well writing stories I have ever read. Twain satirizes not only religion but mankind generally. I recommend it highly.

It's available in a book by that name and also in a larger collection called The Bible According to Mark Twain, which also contains other funny and interesting stories.
Bluecobia
Currently Reading: Game of Thrones
Bookshelf Size: 55
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-bluecobia.html
Latest Review: The miner by F.Robert

Post by Bluecobia »

I have always enjoyed Mark Twain''s humor and of course his books.
Latest Review: The miner by F.Robert
TobiOrNotTobi
Currently Reading: Dracula
Bookshelf Size: 78
Reading Device: B00IKPYKWG

Post by TobiOrNotTobi »

Ahhh, yes, Huckleberry Finn; my first crush. :romance-inlove: :lol2:
"Grief is deeper when the sun goes down and memories rise up with the moon and stars." - "A Lineage of Grace" by Francine Rivers
jaylperry
Currently Reading: Final Notice
Bookshelf Size: 26
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-jaylperry.html
Latest Review: The Polygrapher by Dohn Jagster (Pseudonym)

Post by jaylperry »

I have found Tom Sawyer and Huckleberry Finn to be much more accessible in audiobook form, read by a very talented voice actor. I personally have difficulty reading the multiple, specific accents and dialects and find that I enjoy the books more when that piece of hard lifting is done for me. It makes me sad to admit.
“A book, too, can be a star, ‘explosive material, capable of stirring up fresh life endlessly,’ a living fire to lighten the darkness, leading out into the expanding universe.”
– Madeleine L’Engle
GabbiV
Currently Reading: 50 Masterpieces you have to read before you die, vol 2
Bookshelf Size: 345
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-gabbiv.html
Latest Review: Of Illusions and Ink Spills by Divya Hirani
Reading Device: B00KC6I06S

Post by GabbiV »

I've recently finished Tom Sawyer and I was charmed by his characters and the personalities he fleshes them out with. The imagery and pacing are also wonderful, both serve to heighten the emotion of the scene.

Return to “Classic Books”