Frankenstein: Or the modern Prometheus

Please use this sub-forum to discuss any classic books or any very old fiction books or series.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
CaitlinGonya
Currently Reading: Heart of Iron
Bookshelf Size: 76
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-caitlingonya.html
Latest Review: Serendipity Mystery by R.F. Kristi

Re: Frankenstein: Or the modern Prometheus

Post by CaitlinGonya »

I loved this book. I re-read around Halloween. Not because of the creature but because of Frankenstein. I always associate his creating the creation and then trying to forget it with people who do bad things and the try to forget it or deny what they did. I especially enjoy how the book ended because I don't believe it could have ended any other way.
ReyvrexQuestor Reyes
Previous Member of the Month
Favorite Book: <a href="http://forums.onlinebookclub.org/shelve ... 5">Raven's Peak</a>
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 299
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-reyvrexquestor-reyes.html
Latest Review: Journey by Lindsay Schuster
Reading Device: 1400697484

Post by ReyvrexQuestor Reyes »

The Frankenstein Monster is I think a misnomer. It should have been called just a "conglomerate" to be more precise. Frankestein is the real monster. Although in this age now, being aware of the issues regards cell rejection, the monster would not have a chance of being assembled after all. And it will be against the law of chance and probability that the donors of the parts used in the monster would have all cellular compatibility, as what medical science would require for biological transplants.
"In the beginning was the word.........John 1:1"
...To delineate the times that lovers miss,
...A thousand dreams can't beat a single kiss.

-reyvrex (Love Sonnet 107)
baley
Favorite Book: <a href="http://forums.onlinebookclub.org/shelve ... =2633">The Boy who Lived with Ghosts</a>
Currently Reading: And Then I Met Margaret
Bookshelf Size: 35
Reading Device: B00I15SB16

Post by baley »

As i was on traveling adventure, i landed in a book store then the book landed in my hands then read through to the last page. the topics are quite diverse with different approaches and perspectives.
GabbiV
Currently Reading: 50 Masterpieces you have to read before you die, vol 2
Bookshelf Size: 345
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-gabbiv.html
Latest Review: Of Illusions and Ink Spills by Divya Hirani
Reading Device: B00KC6I06S

Post by GabbiV »

It's so interesting the disparity between the pop culture version of Frankenstein's monster and the one in the book. It's like they're two different characters. After reading Frankenstein I felt bad for the monster for being portrayed without his gentleness or intelligence, or his daddy issues.
Jamesgregory
Bookshelf Size: 0

Post by Jamesgregory »

Love to read horror and monster books and thriller books I love this one very good I like to see more from this writer
Tbunde5
Favorite Book: A Column of Fire
Currently Reading: Illustrated Short Fiction of William H. Coles: 2000-2016
Bookshelf Size: 33
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-tbunde5.html
Latest Review: Kamel by Charles J Haubner III

Post by Tbunde5 »

The theme of the original is so timely today. Mary Shelley’s Creature is the epitome of all that is good, until the world and it’s bigots drive it to violence. I have an adult son with mental and physical disabilities. He is the sweetest, funniest person, always wanting to help others. But the people who don’t know him stare. Kids mock, some to the point of chasing him and throwing rocks. But when he lashes out, the world says, “See? Monster!” The world sympathizes with Frankenstein and vilifies the creature for becoming what they have made him.
palilogy
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 39
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-palilogy.html
Latest Review: Mistress Suffragette by Diana Forbes

Post by palilogy »

During my undergrad Frankenstein was one of the most enjoyable books to use literary analysis on.
So many depths, perceptions and literary theories. I often wonder if the author knew the realm of opening possibilities.
daniya__shah3
Currently Reading: Wuthering Heights
Bookshelf Size: 27
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-daniya-shah3.html
Latest Review: Lonely Expiation by Siegfried Finser

Post by daniya__shah3 »

By far the best classic I have come across till now. The book is still my favourite and whenever I return to read it again, the myriad of themes and the shift in narratorial perspective never fail to amaze me.
"We are all in the gutter but some of us are looking at the stars."
-Oscar Wilde
lakensteele20

Post by lakensteele20 »

I'll be honest, I didn't think I was going to like this book. But once I started reading it, I couldn't stop. It's very interesting. It keeps you thinking really.
Mallory Porshnev
In It Together VIP
Currently Reading: Moloka'i
Bookshelf Size: 332
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-pricklypurple.html
Latest Review: The Paradize Inn by Sheri O'Sullivan

Post by Mallory Porshnev »

I read this book for the first time recently. It was okay, but for me, not as good as I had expected due to its overwhelming popularity in our culture. I found the book to be a little dull, not much action until the end and then just very random.
bclayton13
Currently Reading: Roanoke
Bookshelf Size: 24
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-bclayton13.html
Latest Review: World, Incorporated by Tom Gariffo

Post by bclayton13 »

I've loved this book for a long time, and have long pitied the creation. I remember reading somewhere that Shelley wrote it as a reflection of women, or maybe her own feelings on being a woman in a patriarchal society. It's an interesting concept.
Northernbird84
Currently Reading: The Crossing
Bookshelf Size: 31
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-northernbird84.html
Latest Review: Fulfillment by ICA

Post by Northernbird84 »

This book is exquisite. Frankenstein's monster, whilst hideous to behold is so childlike and innocent. Shunned by his creator trying to survive. The scene where he discovers fire for the first time brings a tear to my eye without fail. The pain he experiences both physically and emotionally when he is burnt just pulls at my heart.
Latest Review: Fulfillment by ICA
Doug Jones
Currently Reading: Beyond Denial
Bookshelf Size: 23
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-doug-jones.html
Latest Review: The Crystilleries of Echoland by Dew Pellucid

Post by Doug Jones »

In a way, the media portrayal of Frankenstein's monster and the actual monster in Shelley's work is as disparate as the reaction that the monster provokes in the book and his true nature. Like many here, when I finally read the book, it shattered the preconceived notions I had about the monster thanks to the media portrayal. One of the best books I have ever read.
soccerts
Favorite Book: Farenheit 451
Currently Reading: Theory of Colours
Bookshelf Size: 138
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-soccerts.html
Latest Review: The Unbound Soul by Richard L. Haight

Post by soccerts »

This book is one of my favorites! It's a timeless commentary on personal and social responsibility and the danger of discrimination - masquerading as a spooky campfire story. What a beautiful metaphor.

It's so brilliant on so many levels, and since I first read it as a child I have always been transfixed by its themes and lessons. The sheer fact of Frankenstein's creation's namelessness is so poignant, and his journey from innocence to murderous intent is as enlightening as it is heartbreaking.

I was once on a jury for a murder case that involved a cosmetic surgeon, and Shelley sadly had so many things so very right. There's a reason that this is one of the most enduring "monster" stories, and it is not what has survived in pop culture.
Stephany_26

Post by Stephany_26 »

I loved this book, because introduced me to the classics books; Mary Shelley wrote about how she felt in her life, like being abandoned by her own creator; Frankeinstein represents God and the creature the human beings.

Return to “Classic Books”