What Defines a Classic?

Please use this sub-forum to discuss any classic books or any very old fiction books or series.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
MsLisa
Currently Reading: Twisted But True
Bookshelf Size: 11
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-mslisa.html
Latest Review: The Different Kinds Of Monsters by Seth Chambers

What Defines a Classic?

Post by MsLisa »

What exactly defines a book as a classic? Is the criteria set or is it subjective? If it is subjective what criteria do you think a book should meet before it is considered a Classic?
Irene C
Currently Reading: Outlander
Bookshelf Size: 145
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-irene-c.html
Latest Review: Apollo's Raven by Linnea Tanner
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU

Post by Irene C »

Personally, I think a book has to be at least 10-15 years old, and really, most books that we can agree are classics are older than that so that their status is widely agreed on. Then I think a classic has real literary quality. So Stephen King's books are great, but they're plot-driven in a way that isn't really literary, in a way that will endure the way that, y'know, Shakespeare's plays or the Austen novels (or the Twain novels) have.
History is not a burden on the memory but an illumination of the soul. Lord Acton
Fatima_Palacios
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 197
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-fatima-palacios.html
Latest Review: We are Voulhire: The Knights of Chalethire by Matthew Tysz

Post by Fatima_Palacios »

Irene C wrote: 23 Sep 2018, 14:10 Personally, I think a book has to be at least 10-15 years old, and really, most books that we can agree are classics are older than that so that their status is widely agreed on. Then I think a classic has real literary quality. So Stephen King's books are great, but they're plot-driven in a way that isn't really literary, in a way that will endure the way that, y'know, Shakespeare's plays or the Austen novels (or the Twain novels) have.
Agree and also i think the context of society has a part in choosing a classic, for example most books that are considered classics today are story that show us a reality completely different to what we have now.
"and if I die trying, then at least I tried."
-Eiichiro Oda (Luffy)
Hildehraefen
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 32
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-hildehraefen.html
Latest Review: And Then I Met Margaret by Rob White

Post by Hildehraefen »

A classic is a work which encompasses themes which are both universal and timeless, thus applicable to people regardless of their geographical location or the era in which they live.
Rita Mbai
Currently Reading: Radioland
Bookshelf Size: 7
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-rita-mbai.html
Latest Review: Tephra Rising by K. C. Weston

Post by Rita Mbai »

In my opinion the standard is already set since classic books are considered to have artistic quality and must have endured the test of times
edith38
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 31
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-edith38.html
Latest Review: Of Illusions and Ink Spills by Divya Hirani

Post by edith38 »

I have often wondered about that myself. For me it's a matter of feeling, do I feel like looking up this author and re-reading all their books. Has the feeling lasted for many years? but then again there are few of my favorite classical authors whose other books I simply refuse to read as I'm convinced that there is absolutely no way they could be remotely as good as the first one I read (for example the Master and Margarita by Bulgakov, it's just not possible that he wrote anything even remotely worthy of it, right?
Rimsha fatima
Bookshelf Size: 0

Post by Rimsha fatima »

A Classic book is on every book readers wish list , I think a classic story has a very good literary quality you almost get into the world of the author , there language is easy to understand for example Jane Austen her work is outstanding be it Emma , Pride and prejudice or sense and sensibility . These are the works that every other person wishes to read ,though they were written in the 19th century but still they engage us this is the beauty of a Classic book or a Classic story.
Res Alexis

Post by Res Alexis »

In my opinion the plot not only has to be unique, well laid out with good grammar as well as punctuation but also feelings,emotions, actions,reactions, thoughts or even reasons as to why have to be taken into consideration.
Joe Hadithi
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 45
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-joe-hadithi.html
Latest Review: Ironing by Navajo

Post by Joe Hadithi »

Personally, I think it is about the book having themes that withstand the test of time. If a book has a theme that has been relevant through the ages, that makes it a classic for me.
Latest Review: Ironing by Navajo
tejaspatil1991

Post by tejaspatil1991 »

A classic is a book accepted as being exemplary or noteworthy, for example through an imprimatur such as being listed in a list of great books, or through a reader's personal opinion
mmm17
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 262
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-mmm17.html
Latest Review: Broke Open by Lela Becker

Post by mmm17 »

In my opinion, a classic is a book that has been around for a while - at least 50 years - and is still talked about and read. A classic stands the test of time. Also, it should be a celebrated book. By that I mean a book that literary critics and scholars from various times and places recognise as an important one.
Renu G
Currently Reading: Masters and Bastards
Bookshelf Size: 144
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-renu-g.html
Latest Review: The Roving Mind: A Modern Approach to Cognitive Enhancement by Anthony Simola

Post by Renu G »

True, a Classic is something that has relevance beyond geography and time. I remember Cinderella, Pride and Prejudice, The Little Prince, The Interior Castle, etc.
Ak1412
Currently Reading: Reawakened
Bookshelf Size: 22
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ak1412.html
Latest Review: The Watchmaker’s Doctor by G. M. T. Schuilling

Post by Ak1412 »

A classic must be applicable to many generations but also give insight of the time it was written in.
The_book_of_t
Currently Reading: A Baby's Cry
Bookshelf Size: 19
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-the-book-of-t.html
Latest Review: Eggstravagant Easter Eggs by Maya Elston

Post by The_book_of_t »

I think classics typically define or summarises the era in which they were written. Yet, they also challenge how people at the time thought and behaved. They challenge the way the reader thinks and they leave you with more unanswered questions than you had begun with.
I guess there is no criteria that a classic book has to fit, it just often challenges society’s common thesis. If that makes sense.
srividyag1
Currently Reading: The laws of human nature
Bookshelf Size: 108
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-srividyag1.html
Latest Review: The Hungry Heart by Brenda Gayle

Post by srividyag1 »

Irene C wrote: 23 Sep 2018, 14:10 Personally, I think a book has to be at least 10-15 years old, and really, most books that we can agree are classics are older than that so that their status is widely agreed on. Then I think a classic has real literary quality. So Stephen King's books are great, but they're plot-driven in a way that isn't really literary, in a way that will endure the way that, y'know, Shakespeare's plays or the Austen novels (or the Twain novels) have.
If 10-15 years is the criteria then I guess Harry Potter books are classic now?? Makes me feel old since I grew up reading them, waiting for each new book to be released :D
- Srividya Giri
Smile more, it's infectious.

Return to “Classic Books”