Pride and Prejudice vs The Great Gatsby

Please use this sub-forum to discuss any classic books or any very old fiction books or series.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
booklysis
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 23
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-booklysis.html
Latest Review: Pastoring is not what you think by Elijah Oladimeji

Pride and Prejudice vs The Great Gatsby

Post by booklysis »

I have always loved reading classic books and Pride and Prejudice has been my favorite. I run back to it again and again again. But I would rate the great Gatsby a 1 star,,,,so poor.
TaaraLynn
Currently Reading: To Selena, With Love
Bookshelf Size: 113
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-taaralynn.html
Latest Review: Illustrated Short Fiction of William H. Coles: 2000-2016 by William H. Coles

Post by TaaraLynn »

I read The Great Gatsby during freshman year of high school, and I tried to hard to like it. Especiallysince I loved the books we read in school minus a few. We all tried to make it the best, we'd add accents to the characters if we read aloud. It helped, but the book was still a no. Usually, I think of going back to a book years after, but I don't think this is one of them.

I still need to read Pride and Prejudice, though.
"Maybe the two different worlds we lived in weren't so different. We saw the same sunset." - Ponyboy Curtis, The Outsiders
hadizasalisu
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 24
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-hadizasalisu.html
Latest Review: Heartaches 3 by H.M. Irwing

Post by hadizasalisu »

I read pride and prejudice, but I only watched the Great Gatsby movie, in my opinion the premise of Great Gatsby was more romantic than that of Pride and prejudice, where proper lord Darcy would be aloof then run behind and declare that he loves our dear heroine inspire of his better judgment, Gatsby was everything he was FOR Daisy (even though she didn't deserve him). As romances go these two are polar opposites but I still love them both.
garima597
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 32
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-garima597.html
Latest Review: Superhighway by Alex Fayman

Post by garima597 »

Pride and Prejudice is a refining piece of classic, and The Great Gatsby does not come close to it.
G@RIMA :techie-studyingbrown:
oogies
Currently Reading: A Tale of Two Cities
Bookshelf Size: 50
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-oogies.html
Latest Review: The Surgeon's Wife by William H. Coles

Post by oogies »

My vote will always be for Pride and Prejudice, I can just never get enough of that book, I have stopped counting how many times I have re-read it, it never gets old.
Sharill Rasowo
In It Together VIP
Currently Reading: Worldlines
Bookshelf Size: 210
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-sharill-rasowo.html
Latest Review: Kalayla by Jeannie Nicholas

Post by Sharill Rasowo »

Pride and Prejudice will always win hands down simply because it is better written. However, the Great Gatsby movie was fantastic in my opinion.
Facennagoss
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 19
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-facennagoss.html
Latest Review: Will of The Hill by Marshall Cobb

Post by Facennagoss »

I liked Pride and Prejudice but I much prefer The Great Gatsby. It’s more gritty and a result of this, in my opinion, is that the characters are more interesting.
tdavid11
Bookshelf Size: 0

Post by tdavid11 »

Pride and Prejudice was more sectional but really integrating in my view. It still well ahead because Great Gatsby was a bit more predictable maybe because of the author's classical view.
ObsessedBookNerd
Favorite Book: Moon Called
Currently Reading: Morning Is Always Nigh
Bookshelf Size: 882
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-obsessedbooknerd.html
Latest Review: 30th Century: Escape (First Edition) by Mark Kingston Levin, PhD

Post by ObsessedBookNerd »

I love Pride & Prejudice but hated the Great Gatsby. I had to read the Great Gatsby for school & I literally went online to get cliff notes version after reading half the book; it was horrible & I greatly dislike this book.
tvonbrachel

Post by tvonbrachel »

These novels are very difficult to compare/contrast. The category of classic books is very, very broad, and we see it here with Pride and Prejudice and The Great Gatsby. They, obviously, are romantic novels, but to claim that one is better than the other is simply a matter of opinion, and what someone may be looking for in a book. Personally, I would always choose The Great Gatsby, but that's simply because I love Fitzgerald's writing flow, and I can't get enough of the overall story. This may only be because it was one of the first classics I've ever read, so it holds a special place in my heart. As for other people, they may be looking for something a little deeper in a novel. It all just depends, really.
kene3664

Post by kene3664 »

The Great Gatsby movie is great. I enjoyed it all the way. DiCaprio didn't fall short of my expectation likewise the Spiderman guy himself. Great actors. I really need to get a full grasp of Pride and Prejudice.
Arya_Rao
Currently Reading:

Post by Arya_Rao »

Pride and Prejudice is one of my all time favorite books. It’s a book that can be read over and over again without getting old. Austen’s employment of dialog reveals characterization that makes you fall in love with characters all the while trying to figure out who’s prideful and who’s prejudiced. It’s a romance that makes me want to be Elizabeth Bennet. The Great Gatsby is an American Classic that is very well written but has a premise that makes it less enjoyable compared to Pride and Prejudice. However, The Great Gatsby is a Book worth reading as it displays both trials of love and friendship hidden behind the shadow of wealth.
nomnombooks
Currently Reading: Die Uhr, die nicht tickt
Bookshelf Size: 491
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-nomnombooks.html
Latest Review: Diary of a Snoopy Cat by R.F. Kristi

Post by nomnombooks »

I don't think you can really compare these two books, but personally I really love Pride and Prejudice and I have read it over and over again. The Great Gatsby is not really one of my favourite books and I always find it a bit sad that it is Fitzgerald's most famous book. In my opinion his other work is much better, but I guess that is always subjective.
jesscat304
Favorite Book: The Subtle Art Of Not Giving A f*ck
Currently Reading: It Ends with Us
Bookshelf Size: 25
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-jesscat304.html
Latest Review: Heartaches by H.M. Irwing

Post by jesscat304 »

I love Pride and Prejudice it’s definitely something that I would happily reread over and over again. I love the vision of a strong woman trying to be true to herself and her wants, rather than giving into familial pressure.
Amnaraja

Post by Amnaraja »

i understand there is a group of people who would actually prefer gatsby over pride and prejudice. but for me, no book can cross the pride and prejudice in any way. i don't think there is any woman in my generation who has not fallen in love with the book or Mr. Darcy or has not compared herself with Elizabeth Bennet. the whole attachment is to the next level which cannot be matched by Gatsby. besides Gatsby is a difficult book to finish and digest, if you know what i mean.

Return to “Classic Books”