The Lost World by Conan Doyle

Please use this sub-forum to discuss any classic books or any very old fiction books or series.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
SMEDIA
Bookshelf Size: 0

The Lost World by Conan Doyle

Post by SMEDIA »

This is one of my favorite books, but here are two things that are debatable.

First, with Gladys. I once saw a horrible movie of The Lost World where they changed a bunch of stuff. During the scene when Mallone sees her again and finds out she’s he married a store clerk, they played really sappy music and the actor playing Mallone was tearing up. In that movie, they made Mallone way too much of an incompotent doofus. However, I think it was actually a good experience for him. Here’s why: he’s a hero! He proved himself to himself. Once he saw finally saw Gladys’s true colors, he should have said to himself “Screw her. I’m better than that store clerk. I’m better than most men in England. And I’m too good for Gladys. There’s plenty of attractive women in England that will marry me now, and most of them are much better than Gladys!” Yeah, rejection isn’t nice, but I think in this situation it turned out good for him.

2.Then, right at the end, was Roxton messing around with Mallone when he said he was willing to go back? Before, did he say to Challenger and Summerlee “I’m going to mess with Mallone a little and see if he actually wants to go back to the plateau.” One thing I didn’t like at all about the sequels that were made is they don’t follow up on whether they try to go back or not. I prefer the ending without the sequels cause I’d like to believe that Roxton was genuine and that they had started a fraternity afterwards. This would make me like both Roxton and Mallone even more.

Return to “Classic Books”