Jane Eyre or Pride and Prejudice?

Please use this sub-forum to discuss any classic books or any very old fiction books or series.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Lady-of-Literature
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 29
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-lady-of-literature.html
Latest Review: Twisted Threads by Kaylin McFarren

Re: Jane Eyre or Pride and Prejudice?

Post by Lady-of-Literature »

I have yet to read Jane's story but given my feeling toward pride and prejudice, I might side with Erye.
Becccccca+98
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 14
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-becccccca-98.html
Latest Review: Killing Abel by Michael Tieman

Post by Becccccca+98 »

Pride and prejudice all the way! <3
Grace Bela
Currently Reading: Jesus Calling
Bookshelf Size: 19
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-grace-bela.html
Latest Review: Moon Luck by Wayne Scott Harral

Post by Grace Bela »

I read Jane Eyre about 5 years ago and Pride and Prejudice about 2 years ago. Even though the details of Jane Eyre have started to fade in my memory, the way I felt reading that book has stuck with me. It is an amazing piece of literature! Plus I overall find the Bronte sisters to be great authors who have held my interest for many years. I love both books but definitely think Jane Eyre is more impactful.
UzmaKhan
Currently Reading: The Woman Before Wallis
Bookshelf Size: 22
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-uzmakhan.html
Latest Review: The Hand Bringer by Christopher J. Penington

Post by UzmaKhan »

Pride and Prejudice all the way!! The best classic feminist book ever written.🌸

“There is more treasure in books than in all the pirate’s loot on Treasure Island.”
-Walt Disney
kmd1234
Bookshelf Size: 0

Post by kmd1234 »

I loved Jane Eyre, but it does not beat Pride and Prejudice in my opinion. Jane Eyre was bittersweet but Pride and Prejudice will always be quite iconic as a romantic story a lot different for time in which it was published. I feel that P & P was much more significant than Jane Eyre in the time being.
Turk Joel
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 3

Post by Turk Joel »

Jane Eyre took a different direction of symbolism and love, i'd take it
Nissrinehrse

Post by Nissrinehrse »

Pride and prejudice is phenomenal one of the best classics I've ever read. PERIODT.
VSuraj
Currently Reading: The Alchemist
Bookshelf Size: 37
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-vsuraj.html
Latest Review: Justice by Scott Hughes

Post by VSuraj »

I haven't read Jane Eyre, but I understand it's a bit darker than P&P. I actually read P&P quite recently and I really enjoyed it. It's definitely a timeless classic.
I know some people who like Jane Eyre a lot also, so maybe it comes down to personal taste.
Words are, in my not-so-humble opinion, our most inexhaustible source of magic - J.K. Rowling
Barbie_sidhu
Currently Reading: Strong heart
Bookshelf Size: 84
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-barbie-sidhu.html
Latest Review: Kalayla by Jeannie Nicholas

Post by Barbie_sidhu »

I am a fan of Pride and Prejudice. Nothing can beat Mr. Darcy. :)
chikara312
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 23
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-chikara312.html
Latest Review: Hinduism by Dr Hiro G. Badlani

Post by chikara312 »

Jane Eyre - all the way until the end of time. As another commenter said, it’s a darker novel and I tend to gravitate towards the dark and grim.

This response is also a reflection of my general opinion of the two writers, I prefer Charolette Bronte’s novels (as well as her sister’s works). Actually, I’ll just come out and say it...I don’t care for Jane Austen *runs from crowd with pitchforks*.
Last edited by chikara312 on 04 Jul 2020, 08:53, edited 1 time in total.
mercytuisa

Post by mercytuisa »

Both books are great in their own way. I love how Jane Eyre shows a more realistic and somewhat ominous side to to a love story. While Pride and Prejudice captures the trappings of 19th century society in a way that is very perceptive and a little sardonic. Although both books are great, I personally love Pride and Prejudice more because of the emotional attachment that I have with it and if I wanted to have a little moment of romantic bliss, Pride and Prejudice just offers a more lighthearted content to it that just warms me up. :tiphat:
HanElizabeth397
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 23
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-hanelizabeth397.html
Latest Review: The Mindset by Ace Bowers

Post by HanElizabeth397 »

Pride and Prejudice will probably always be my all time favourite classic!! I love rereading it every now and again
R Lefler
Currently Reading: Moby Dick;
Bookshelf Size: 375
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-r-lefler.html
Latest Review: Chameleons by Onyx Gold

Post by R Lefler »

I could not get into Pride and Prejudice and I really like Jane Eyre and to me the difference is about the class of the protagonist. One is about a rich family in a sexist society who want to hang on to their fortune, despite having daughters. The sexism is depressing, and the elitism and focus on the problems of the rich makes it feel boring and harder to relate to. I will say they are well-written characters, and it's not a bad book at all. But Jane Eyre as a character interests me more because she has to work for a living, and she had to endure such hardships in school. I also endured hardships in childhood that shaped who I am today. I've also had to work hard to make my way. I can't really relate to the "problems" of the rich families in Jane Austen novels. It's too foreign to me, much like the show Downton Abbey. These are just personal differences. I also think Jane Austen is overrated, and I wish that the Bronte sisters got more credit. I really like the way that they can write novels with an eerie, melancholy, and tragic feel to them. Like I said, Jane Austen is not bad, but I don't understand the weird mega-fandom that popped up for her recently.
“The supreme art of war is to subdue the enemy without fighting.”
― Sun Tzu, The Art of War
DyanaFl
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 70
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-dyanafl.html
Latest Review: Like Glass by Sylvia Wilde

Post by DyanaFl »

I adore both actually. Its difficult to decide whether to throw in my lot with Jane Eyre or Pride and Prejudice. P&P is an evergreen classic for many but I would probably roll with Jane Eyre.
alexjimison123

Post by alexjimison123 »

To me, Pride and prejudice has been one of my favorite books and movies since i was a kid. i am now 21 years old and i can say it is one of the greatest books to ever be published. jane eyre is an amazing author and i cannot lie about that, but the substance that pride and prejudice has does not compare to jane eyre’s books whatsoever. i know i sound very opinionated about that, however i’m not saying jane eyre isn’t a great author, i’m just saying pride and prejudice is a classic and no one really writes books like that anymore.

Return to “Classic Books”