Jane Eyre or Pride and Prejudice?

Please use this sub-forum to discuss any classic books or any very old fiction books or series.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
teresao
Currently Reading: And Then There Were None
Bookshelf Size: 18
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-teresao.html
Latest Review: The Crystilleries of Echoland by Dew Pellucid
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU

Re: Jane Eyre or Pride and Prejudice?

Post by teresao »

I like Pride and Prejudice, but for me I'd choose Jane Eyre every time. I love how she is true to her personal beliefs and values even when it gives her more heartache and challenges. I like how both she and Mr. Rochester grow and develop and how their own individual growth makes the end super satisfying.
Ilaria_
Bookshelf Size: 0

Post by Ilaria_ »

Pride and prejudice! I love jane eyre, but I like jane austen's writing style better
fairlightla

Post by fairlightla »

Definitely Pride and Prejudice; it is a personal favorite. Jane Eyre is dragged out and tedious. There is suspense, conflict, and a satisfying ending to both books, but Pride and Prejudice is extremely well written and not half as long and drawn out as Jane Eyre.
midlifedatingexpert

Post by midlifedatingexpert »

P&P all the way. Both excellent woman authors, but we were raised on Austen. Protagonists and their lifestyles are both quite different! If I'd said as I was thinking, "Jane! Jane! Jane!" it might have been misconstrued to be the heroine rather than the author, lol. GREAT question!
patrioconnor28

Post by patrioconnor28 »

Hi! I read both of them and for me, your friend is right. I think that Jane Eyre is one of the best books I've ever read. It's not just focused on love, but also the difficulties that a girl had to endure during those times. You can have a glance at that period of time, and even more, you can also find moral debates and mystery in this wonderful book. In addition, if you know the author's life or have heard about it, the beginning of the novel and also the job of the main character represent it. It is lovely that you can feel so close not just with the main character, but also with the writer herself. Hope you read it! You will enjoy it for sure!
PegR
Favorite Book: Pride and Prejudice
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 18

Post by PegR »

I've read both stories. But It all I identify my self with Elizabeth Bennet that no matter what, I'm always team Jane Austen. She really displayed how our own judgement can blind us from seeing the best in people, we should give the benefit of a doubt and if anyone let's you down, it's on them not on you. Each person has their own world and we should respect them.

And Darcy, is the ideal men. Honest with his feelings but very introvert. :D :D :D
FaeWitch
Currently Reading: Daughter of the Blood
Bookshelf Size: 12

Post by FaeWitch »

I've read both, and I prefer Jane Eyre myself. Not only do I personally find Jane a more relatable character, but there's just more there that I find interesting as a reader. The romance is a large overarching plot, to be sure, but it's just the story of Jane's life. Her brief but unhappy time with her Aunt Reed, her time at Lowood where she begins miserable but comes into her own as she grows, her move to Thornfield Hall, and every adventure after. The story never stays in one place for too long, Jane's life being so often in transition. There's the intrigue as to who her family might be, are they all poor or is there someone who could help her? The question of the woman locked away in a high corner of Thornfield Hall (could it really be Grace Poole laughing so madly?), Mr. Rochester's checkered past, and just how Jane will balance her heart and her pride with all that life throws at her. She's a wonderfully human character, with just as many flaws as redeeming qualities, and her struggle to simply live her life with both dignity and happiness is eternally relatable. I find myself going back to this book over and over again just to get lost in it.
steigerd
Favorite Book: The Boys in the Boat
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 146
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-steigerd.html
Latest Review: Days of the Giants by RJ Petrella

Post by steigerd »

It would definitely be Elizabeth and Mr. Darcy in Pride and Prejudice by Jane Austin. In fact, I watched Pride and Prejudice last night on my Amazon Fire. I had several versions lined up and selected the one I enjoyed the most. I could not believe that a book printed in 1813 could end up having numerous adaptations. My favorite will still be the 1940 adaptation with Greer Garson and Laurence Olivier. Even the novel has inspired numerous continuing tales. I have read several and none compare to the original. Pride and Prejudice was more fun and light-hearted while Jane Eyre I viewed as sad and dark.
j_will3250

Post by j_will3250 »

Personally it depends on what you like. If you like a typical romance, girl and boy meet and hate each other, time only tells there’s a thin line between love and hate then pride and prejudice; it’s a classic but otherwise a bit bleak in my opinion. It shows a typical like of a 19th century woman, a few years before Jane Eyre where a few would question their status. There’s a lot more drama in JE. It shows love and passion between a man and a woman yes, but it also shows madness and rage and hypocrisy of the time whether it be religion of sexism. There’s fires and red rooms and charity schools that would starve them and death, which is never present in P&P. P&P is a nobility book at best, shows how women should behave it was much within the time where JE tells an autobiogrpht of the struggle and hypocrisy of classes. Both have happy endings however. If u want love and romance P&P is your better bet, if you want drama then JE
CommyJ

Post by CommyJ »

Jane Eyre is more interested, very educative and motivating
Sriharshita

Post by Sriharshita »

I would choose price and prejudice although Jane Eyre is fine.i would stick with Jane and Darcy along with Lydia.
jesscat304
Favorite Book: The Subtle Art Of Not Giving A f*ck
Currently Reading: It Ends with Us
Bookshelf Size: 25
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-jesscat304.html
Latest Review: Heartaches by H.M. Irwing

Post by jesscat304 »

I love Pride and Prejudice, particularly since I feel like I strongly relate to Elizabeth and her struggles with trying to be an independent woman without the pressure of people wanting you to get in a relationship. I also can understand her actions, as I have reacted similarly in my relationships throughout my life. Then again I do love the feministic quality also found in Jane Eyre, but I got to admit I do tend to prefer a happy ending and the complexity of the relationships in Pride and Prejudice.
unamilagra
Previous Member of the Month
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 120
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-unamilagra.html
Latest Review: Powerballs by Jimmy Clifton
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU

Post by unamilagra »

I liked Jane Eyre, but Pride and Prejudice is one of my all time favorite books. The type of humor is just right on in that book for me.
SangeethaNarayan
Currently Reading: The Prophet
Bookshelf Size: 49
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-sangeethanarayan.html
Latest Review: Toni the Superhero by R.D. Base

Post by SangeethaNarayan »

Jane Eyre was pretty good. But it pales in comparison to Pride and prejudice. The absolute thrill of Darcy and Elizabeth could not be matched by any other character. Pride and prejudice was my choice as a kid and it is my choice till date.
PepperedPenelope
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 57
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-pepperedpenelope.html
Latest Review: Sigfried’s Smelly Socks! by Len Foley

Post by PepperedPenelope »

I really loved Pride and Prejudice more. I think for me, I just related to Elizabeth more and the writing really resonated with me. I read Jane Eyre last year and I was pleasantly surprised with how much I enjoyed it, but it still felt a bit like a chore for me to read. I'm glad I read Jane Eyre, but I probably wont read it again. Pride and Prejudice I can see myself reading over and over.

Return to “Classic Books”