The Adventures of Huckleberry Finn by Mark Twain

Please use this sub-forum to discuss any classic books or any very old fiction books or series.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
bootsie0126+
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 285
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-bootsie0126.html
Latest Review: The Reel Sisters by Michelle Cummings
Reading Device: B01GEW27DA

The Adventures of Huckleberry Finn by Mark Twain

Post by bootsie0126+ »

I read this book many, many, years ago. Loved it then and still do. This is a great tale for children and adults. I have never read anything else by Mark Twain but am glad that I had the pleasure in reading this one. A tale of adventure and excitement that Huckleberry embarks on dealing with issues that were true during the 1930s. If I had a copy now, I would probably read it again.
superGod
Bookshelf Size: 0

Post by superGod »

This is my first time of reading this book by Mark Twain, it is full of adventure on the happenings of 1930s it leaves an impression of excitement to any reader,its quite recommendable for lover of good books
bootsie0126+
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 285
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-bootsie0126.html
Latest Review: The Reel Sisters by Michelle Cummings
Reading Device: B01GEW27DA

Post by bootsie0126+ »

superGod wrote: 21 Apr 2018, 15:47 This is my first time of reading this book by Mark Twain, it is full of adventure on the happenings of 1930s it leaves an impression of excitement to any reader,its quite recommendable for lover of good books
I agree. The first time I read this book in school, I loved it. It felt like I was experiencing the same thing that Huckleberry was. Great read for anyone to enjoy. Thank you for your comment.
Snowhite189
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 2

Post by Snowhite189 »

I get bored in the story or just because of the language use it is an old English that's been used and it is harder for me comprehend I don't know if the one that I read is different as yours, but anyway everyone knows about this adventures of Huckleberry Finn this must be good I have heard that this has been produced on movies and the portrayal of Tom Sawyer was in the movie.
Tbunde5
Favorite Book: A Column of Fire
Currently Reading: Illustrated Short Fiction of William H. Coles: 2000-2016
Bookshelf Size: 33
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-tbunde5.html
Latest Review: Kamel by Charles J Haubner III

Post by Tbunde5 »

Twain has been criticized for years for the use of certain language in this book. People fail to understand that he wrote in the language of the day in the American South. The use of a derogatory description of the slave Jim is really how they spoke then, not a justification of the word. I even had a literature professor cast aspersions on the relationship between Huck and Jim. I think Twain would die laughing if he heard what people have said. He would have certainly enjoyed the stupidity of it. As he is quoted as saying, “Better to remain quiet and have people believe you’re a fool, than to open your mouth and remove all doubt.”
lbhatters
Favorite Book: Life is Too Short to Waste and Do Nothing
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 30
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-lbhatters.html
Latest Review: Life is to Short to Waste and do Nothing by Gracie Curry Holman
Reading Device: B077WTB2LY

Post by lbhatters »

I loved the book. I like the story, a simple boy, and his adventures. It tells a lot of history of America along the Mississippi as well. It's a classic for a reason.
:techie-studyinggray: Start by doing what's necessary; then do what's possible; and suddenly you are doing the impossible.
-Fransis of Assisi

It's perfectly ok to write garbage, as long as you edit brilliantly.
-C.J. Cherryh
esthernarag
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 2

Post by esthernarag »

I read this book of Mark Twain 20 yrs ago but still i remember the scenes of the story that means i enjoyed it.This book suited for adventure lovers.
lakensteele20

Post by lakensteele20 »

This book is very well known & in my opinion, very good. If you catch yourself with some free time, try reading it. You might just like it too.
lettiebeth

Post by lettiebeth »

bootsie0126+ wrote: 20 Apr 2018, 21:23 I read this book many, many, years ago. Loved it then and still do. This is a great tale for children and adults. I have never read anything else by Mark Twain but am glad that I had the pleasure in reading this one. A tale of adventure and excitement that Huckleberry embarks on dealing with issues that were true during the 1930s. If I had a copy now, I would probably read it again.
I hope you have a chance to try more Twain! I think my all-time favorite of his is Personal Recollections of Joan of Arc. It's just an all around great book. I also loved A Connecticut Yankee In King Arthur's Court as a kid. Those Extraordinary Twins is a fascinating, lesser known work.
LinaMueller
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 261
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-linamueller.html
Latest Review: The Wingless Fairy by Kye Strothers

Post by LinaMueller »

The Adventures of Huckleberry Finn is one of the best American novels of the 19th century. Sadly, because of political correctness, some people are trying nowadays to denigrate Mark Twain.
Heart! We will forget him!
You an I, tonight!
You may forget the warmth he gave,
I will forget the light.

When you have done, pray tell me
That I my thoughts may dim;
Haste! lest while you're lagging.
I may remember him!

Emily Dickinson
Carolreads30
Favorite Author: Adriana Trigiani
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 21
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-carolreads30.html
Latest Review: Strong Heart by Charlie Sheldon
fav_author_id: 8071

Post by Carolreads30 »

What a classic! The friendships that are formed in this story are amazing and the book showcases what life was like at this time period in our history.
Sithmi
Currently Reading: Honest Endings
Bookshelf Size: 32
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-sithmi.html
Latest Review: Kalayla by Jeannie Nicholas

Post by Sithmi »

The Adventures of Huckleberry Finn is one of the greatest novels. it brings out the society and social issues of the era well.
Kevinsells
Favorite Book: Death Is a Lonely Business
Currently Reading: The Story of Henri Tod
Bookshelf Size: 63

Post by Kevinsells »

You said you haven't read any other Mark Twain I have to recommend The Adventures of Tom Sawyer. I read this just before Huckleberry Finn and they go together like a series. I think there are many contrasts in the characters morals and behaviors that really expand how much you enjoy both of them.
Archaeoptery
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 68
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-archaeoptery.html
Latest Review: Kalayla by Jeannie Nicholas

Post by Archaeoptery »

I read this. I did enjoy the book but it is not something I plan to read again.
Kiran Kanwar
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 14
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kiran-kanwar.html
Latest Review: The Mindset by Ace Bowers

Post by Kiran Kanwar »

I have never been able to complete Mark Twain's books. Maybe because I picked their unabridged versions at a time when I was just reading abridged versions. I was overwhelmed I guess.

Return to “Classic Books”