Zen and he art of Motorcycle Maintenance

Please use this sub-forum to discuss any classic books or any very old fiction books or series.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Peterhchurch
Favorite Author: Douglas E. Richards
Favorite Book: <a href="http://forums.onlinebookclub.org/shelve ... 39423">The creacher from jeckle island</a>
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 155
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-peterhchurch.html
Latest Review: "Twisted Threads" by Kaylin McFarren
Reading Device: B00I15SB16
fav_author_id: 18660

Zen and he art of Motorcycle Maintenance

Post by Peterhchurch »

In his now classic Zen and the Art of Motorcycle Maintenance, Robert Pirsig brings us a literary masterpiece.

Phaedrus, our narrator, takes a present-tense cross-country motorcycle trip with his son.

Acclaimed as one of the most exciting books in the history of American letters, this modern epic became an instant bestseller upon publication in 1974, transforming a generation and continuing to inspire millions.

A narration of a summer motorcycle trip undertaken by a father and his son, the book becomes a personal and philosophical odyssey into fundamental questions of how to live.

The narrator's relationship with his son leads to a powerful self-reckoning; the craft of motorcycle maintenance leads to an austerely beautiful process for reconciling science, religion, and humanism. Resonant with the confusions of existence, Zen and the Art of Motorcycle Maintenance is a touching and transcendent book of life.

I have to admit this book changed my life and my relationship with m departed father.
Latest Review: "Twisted Threads" by Kaylin McFarren
mpsmaster
Favorite Book: Think and grow rich
Currently Reading: As a Man Thinketh
Bookshelf Size: 19
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-mpsmaster.html
Latest Review: We are Voulhire: The Fires of Virko by Matthew Tysz

Post by mpsmaster »

I read the first part of the book and I found deep how the author see the world in a practical way, as he tries to understand why his son and his wife are so uninterested in learning how to solve common daily problems with their own hands, using their own brains.

I read somewhere that you need to know a great deal about philosophy to fully enjoy the book. What do you think?
“When we are no longer able to change a situation, we are challenged to change ourselves.”

Return to “Classic Books”