Classics relevant today?

Please use this sub-forum to discuss any classic books or any very old fiction books or series.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
TIGER999
Currently Reading: The Haunting of Winchester Mansion Omnibus
Bookshelf Size: 146

Classics relevant today?

Post by TIGER999 »

Do you think some/many/most classics are still relevant today? If so, which one(s) are perhaps most relevant?
And why?
panaginip
Bookshelf Size: 11

Post by panaginip »

Animal Farm by George Orwell!
TIGER999

Post by TIGER999 »

I agree! I also thought of 1984, Brave New World, & To Kill a Mockingbird...among others, of which I'm sure there are many!
Harmony Hills
Favorite Book: <a href="http://forums.onlinebookclub.org/shelve ... 0734">Anne of Green Gables</a>
Bookshelf Size: 60
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-harmony-hills.html
Latest Review: "Alba" by B. E. Okoh

Post by Harmony Hills »

Of course it is. Classics have the touch of inspiration and morale that every kids will love and bury in their hearts. If i have my own kids, the first book they'll read will be classics. :D
“Fairy tales are more than true: not because they tell us that dragons exist, but because they tell us that dragons can be beaten.” ― Neil Gaiman, Coraline
TIGER999

Post by TIGER999 »

Which classics books would you recommend?
Harmony Hills
Favorite Book: <a href="http://forums.onlinebookclub.org/shelve ... 0734">Anne of Green Gables</a>
Bookshelf Size: 60
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-harmony-hills.html

Post by Harmony Hills »

To Kill a Mockingbird is one, but i recommend Anne by L.M. Montgomery most of the time :)
“Fairy tales are more than true: not because they tell us that dragons exist, but because they tell us that dragons can be beaten.” ― Neil Gaiman, Coraline
TIGER999

Post by TIGER999 »

Yes...I read all of the Anne of Green Gables series & spin-offs. They were so good then...but haven't re-read them since I was a teenager. Girls these days are still reading these books, along with Nancy Drew (my fav), Hardy Boys, Bobbsey Twins, Cherry Ames etc.
uyky
Favorite Author: Charles de Lint
Currently Reading: Tapping the Dream Tree
Bookshelf Size: 28
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-uyky.html
Latest Review: Becoming the Dragon by Alex Sapegin
fav_author_id: 6861

Post by uyky »

A lot of classics are about feelings, not just political and social views. And those are always relevant. The only one I can remember right now is Crime and Punishment. I know it includes all of the above, but it is possible to move it to almost any era and it is still relevant. I think a lot of classics are the same in this way. Thoughts and feelings count and teach us.
Lincolnshirelass
Previous Member of the Month
Bookshelf Size: 0

Post by Lincolnshirelass »

Of course I would have to say that my beloved 'Jane Eyre' is still relevant today; but I genuinely believe it is, as a portrait of a woman discovering her independence in a sometimes hostile world whilst still being true to her heart. I also agree with what people have said about 'To Kill a Mockingbird', 'Brave New World' and '1984'. At first glance, the cited children's books, though hugely enjoyable, would seem less 'relevant', but then again, they remind us that children's wishes and fears and pleasures remain the same over the ages.
An Eye for an Eye only ends up making the whole world blind.

Mahatma Gandhi
Emma13
Currently Reading: The Captive Mind
Bookshelf Size: 19
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-emma13.html
Latest Review: A Slice Of Chile by Dr Terry Hannan

Post by Emma13 »

uyky wrote: 05 Feb 2018, 07:12 A lot of classics are about feelings, not just political and social views. And those are always relevant.
I would agree with this. The places and politics might change but people are still largely the same now as they were hundreds of years ago. You just have to read Shakespeare or the Greeks to see that. Sometimes I think it's very helpful to discover these parallels - it takes us out of our obsession with the present and helps put our lives in context.
pinefamily
Currently Reading: Magician
Bookshelf Size: 12

Post by pinefamily »

To Kill A Mockingbird, Animal Farm, 1984, Brave New World, Heart of Darkness, All Quiet On The Western Front, Plato's The Republic, Albert Camus' The Outsider.
And that's just off the top of my head.
Yung Senpai
Favorite Book: Lolita
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 20

Post by Yung Senpai »

I think all classics are relevant in someway, since the main requirement for a classic to be a classic is the timeless factor, that makes it keep its quality despite the age it has been written.
DATo
Previous Member of the Month
Bookshelf Size: 0

Post by DATo »

All stories are "relevant". Someone once said there are only five stories and each new story is simply a variation of one of them. Shakespearian plays have been presented using modern-day backgrounds and have been just as relevant (as a story) in contemporary times as the play was when it was first written. Perhaps what you meant was "Are classics as well received and appreciated today as in the past?" I think classics are classics for a reason, namely because they have withstood the test of time. After all of our current literary fads have disappeared into the void the classics will still be there and, I should add, new classics are being added to the list with each passing decade.

It just occurred to me that "new classics" is an oxymoron ... but ... you know what I meant I'm sure.
“I just got out of the hospital. I was in a speed reading accident. I hit a book mark and flew across the room.”
― Steven Wright
tariq sparrow
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 12

Post by tariq sparrow »

There are numerous reasons that classical literature is relevant today.

The foremost reason being that the themes of the classics are still easy to relate to today. From jealousy, searching for meaning, love and death e.g. While the times and settings may be different, unsurprisingly, the emotions people feel are the same. People enjoy being able to relate to characters in books they read. Personally, I mostly relate to Heathcliff from Wuthering Heights. Hopefully that tells you all you need to know about me.
SLD
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 45
Reading Device: B00I15SB16

Post by SLD »

I agree that "Animal Farm," "Brave New World," and "1984" are all books probably relevant to our society today. I read them all in jr. high years ago, but would like to read them again, from a 21st century adult perspective.
Philippians 4:8

Return to “Classic Books”