Flashback School Reads

Please use this sub-forum to discuss any classic books or any very old fiction books or series.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
TIGER999
Currently Reading: The Haunting of Winchester Mansion Omnibus
Bookshelf Size: 146

Flashback School Reads

Post by TIGER999 »

I have decided to re-read books I was assigned & that were required in high school & college...many of which I wasn't very thrilled about reading at the time. Many of them are considered classics, & I think I'll have a totally new perspective decades later, & will probably get much more enjoyment & appreciation out of them now, having had so many more life experiences.

My first one is "To Kill a Mockingbird" by Harper Lee. Just wondering...Have any of you done anything like this? If so, what was your experience, and what books do you feel you benefited more from, years later and how? Would love to hear from anyone interested in this different kind of reading experience! :)
kandscreeley
Special Discussion Leader
Currently Reading: Believarexic
Bookshelf Size: 486
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kandscreeley.html
Latest Review: The Elf Revelation by Jordan David

Post by kandscreeley »

Not exactly like this. However, I did read several Jane Austen books as an adult. I don't think I read any of those in school, though, interestingly enough.
A book is a dream you hold in your hands.
—Neil Gaiman
MrsCatInTheHat
Favorite Book: Cry the Beloved Country
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 376
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-mrscatinthehat.html
Latest Review: Marc Marci by Larry G. Goldsmith
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU
Publishing Contest Votes: 0

Post by MrsCatInTheHat »

I've found that I appreciate some books far more now than I did when I was younger. However, I don't have a specific plan for reading them.
Life without a good book is something MrsCatInTheHat cannot imagine.
Christina O Phillips
Currently Reading: Oz
Bookshelf Size: 1326
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-christina-o-phillips.html
Latest Review: Natural Relief for Anxiety and Stress by Gustavo Kinrys, MD

Post by Christina O Phillips »

I think it's a good idea. I discussed doing this with a few of my friend who are readers, but we never got around to it. How to Be a Heroine by Samantha Ellis covers this topic well.
TIGER999

Post by TIGER999 »

Thanks, all, for your replies. This is really interesting to me...how our perspectives & appreciation change over the years. I've found that the re-reading isn't necessarily better...just different.

kandscreeley...I wasn't assigned Jane Austen in school, either (wonder why?)...but I'm going to expand & include any other classics I think will be interesting, in my "re-reading project", (whether or not they were "school reads"), and will definitely include her books. Wondering...what was your experience reading her books as an adult...did you appreciate her writing more or enjoy her books more? or?

CatInTheHat...I've found that too...suppose years more life experience certainly adds understanding. Are you still re-reading books? Which one(s) did you appreciate or enjoy the most? Were some not as enjoyable as you remember them?

Christina...Well, maybe you'd enjoy doing it yourself...perhaps your friends will join you? It's interesting to see what a different experience it is when you're older & wiser! :) :lol: Maybe we could start a "Flashback club"?
lol Thanks for the suggestion...will certainly check out Samantha Ellis' book!
Christina O Phillips

I would totally join a Flashback club!
I've wanted to re-read books to see if my thoughts on them changed. For example, I remember not enjoying Lord of the Flies, but never went back to see if I'd read it differently. I also remember absolutely loving Flowers for Algernon, but have never re-read it for fear of me not liking it as much the second time.
TIGER999

Post by TIGER999 »

Christina...how would one start, organize or set up a Flashback club? Thoughts? Wonder if that would be something that would appeal to this reader crowd? There've been quite a few (47?) views, but only a few posts...so, not sure.

Do you think your friends would be more interested if there was a group formed? Are they members of OBC?

I'd bet your opinion of Lord of the Flies would be quite a bit different if many years have passed, or if it's a younger reader vs. a more mature reader experiencing it now. I read that one, but have not re-read it...that might be a good one to include, especially since it's about kids, and I was a kid when I read it!

I totally understand your not wanting to disturb such a pleasant memory of "...Algernon". You just might like it differently years later. That's one that, though I'm familiar with it a bit, have not read...I'll have to take a look at it. Apparently it won a Hugo Award in 1960 for Best Short Story, and then the 1966 novel-length expansion won a Nebula Award for Best Novel. Which version did you read? Maybe you'd like to read the other version now?

My main reason for introducing this topic was to get some feedback on some books others had re-read, & their thoughts, so I'd have some idea/s of how to proceed. After all, I/we had to read a slew of books through school, so I wasn't sure how to make good choices, & have this be a fun experience! :)
RegularGuy3
Currently Reading: All the Light We Cannot See
Bookshelf Size: 15
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-regularguy3.html
Latest Review: Farmer Beau's Farm by Kathleen Geiger

Post by RegularGuy3 »

Re-read The Stranger and a few others from college as an adult. To my equal parts disappointment and joy, I had much the same reaction as when originally assigned. Either I was a mature student or am an immature adult.
Christina O Phillips

TIGER999 wrote:Christina...how would one start, organize or set up a Flashback club? Thoughts? Wonder if that would be something that would appeal to this reader crowd? There've been quite a few (47?) views, but only a few posts...so, not sure.

Do you think your friends would be more interested if there was a group formed? Are they members of OBC?
The first step would be to decide on a place. My friends are not members of OBC so for them I'd probably use Facebook, start a group there.
Next would be to gather a list of potential reads, get a poll going to vote on first.
Then one would have to make up a schedule: how long to read a book?, etc.
TIGER999

Post by TIGER999 »

ROFL Regular Guy...perhaps neither of those, but just a different perspective? Interesting that you had the same reaction both times. Wondering tho, how both disappointment & joy entered in? I also re-read The Stranger, & found it much different...I felt I had more understanding of the novel on the re-read.
Christina...I apologize for my delay in my response...I've been struggling with a nasty virus, & have had very limited online time as a result. I think your ideas are very good. I am currently facing several surgeries, tho, so I'm not in a position to take on a project like that. Perhaps you would like to? I'd be glad to pitch in and/or join you when I get my health back in order. I'm not very familiar with Facebook, but we could even have it available in both places? Forums here seem to pretty much take care of themselves. What do u think?
Harmony Hills
Favorite Book: <a href="http://forums.onlinebookclub.org/shelve ... 0734">Anne of Green Gables</a>
Bookshelf Size: 60
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-harmony-hills.html
Latest Review: "Alba" by B. E. Okoh

Post by Harmony Hills »

They weren't books but classic essays and short stories with titles that i can't remember, but i remembered being touched by it, and learned maybe a thing or two from it.
“Fairy tales are more than true: not because they tell us that dragons exist, but because they tell us that dragons can be beaten.” ― Neil Gaiman, Coraline
Latest Review: "Alba" by B. E. Okoh
TIGER999

Post by TIGER999 »

Harmony...if you remember the titles, let us know...I'd love to be able to read them too, as you seem to have obtained a lot of value from them! :)
1busymomma25
Bookshelf Size: 3

Post by 1busymomma25 »

I think this is an amazing idea. I know I couldn't remember everyone I was supposed to read. To kill a mockingbird by Harper Lee was one of my favorites. I read the book in one night and just read each chapter over before class I loved it so much. Definitely one book I'm going to have both my children read.
TIGER999

Post by TIGER999 »

...momma...I'm reading "...Mockingbird" right now. It's definitely a different experience from reading it as a youngster ...but it's amazing how relevant it still is today, & in some ways (& so sad) how little has changed!
Now I want to read the sequel: "Go Set a Watchman"...have you read that?

Since you think this is "an amazing idea", will you be re-reading some books now? If so, which one(s)? "...Mockingbird"? What did you love so much about it then?

Are your children reading? If so, what are their favorites? I find it's even fun to go back & re-read childhood favorites. I recently re-read "The Secret of the Old Clock" a Nancy Drew mystery. It was fun even so many years later.

But now I really want to concentrate on books assigned in my school days...especially those
I didn't understand so well back then, or perhaps just didn't enjoy reading them that much, but were considered classics, or of value to invest some time & thought in reading them by teachers & professors. Let us know what/if you plan to re-read! :)
Christina Rose
Previous Member of the Month
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 135
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-christina-rose.html
Latest Review: The Last Leaf to Fall by Amy M. Watson
Reading Device: B00IKPYKWG

Post by Christina Rose »

I'm a "re-reader." Usually I'll re-read a classic I enjoyed reading in school with a lot of symbolism. Usually I'll get something new each time I read it. My favorites to read again are The Scarlet Letter and The Awakening.

Return to “Classic Books”