Shirley by Charlotte Brontë

Please use this sub-forum to discuss any classic books or any very old fiction books or series.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Reuben 92
Favorite Book: <a href="http://forums.onlinebookclub.org/shelve ... =6703">The Count of Monte Cristo</a>
Bookshelf Size: 827
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-reuben-92.html
Latest Review: "The Piketty Problem" by Garth Hallberg

Shirley by Charlotte Brontë

Post by Reuben 92 »

Has anyone given Shirley a go? I loved the really fierce, passionate tone of this book and its concerns around feminism and class. Shirley is a really intriguing heroine and in many respects pushes the boundary further than Jane Eyre does.
"Every reader is, while he is reading, the reader of his own self. The writer's work is merely a kind of optical instrument which he offers to the reader to enable him to discern what...he would perhaps never have perceived in himself."
Proust
Latest Review: "The Piketty Problem" by Garth Hallberg
Lincolnshirelass
Previous Member of the Month
Bookshelf Size: 0

Post by Lincolnshirelass »

Though I will never love 'Shirley' as much as 'Jane Eyre' I think it is a superb novel. A point worth mentioning is that though now, for obvious reasons, we associate the name Shirley with childish cuteness, in Charlotte's time it was predominantly a man's name, and the character was based on her sister Emily. Some people even think that the harrowing incident where Shirley puts a hot iron to the bite of a suspected rabid dog is based on a real incident.
An Eye for an Eye only ends up making the whole world blind.

Mahatma Gandhi
Emma13
Currently Reading: The Captive Mind
Bookshelf Size: 19
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-emma13.html
Latest Review: A Slice Of Chile by Dr Terry Hannan

Post by Emma13 »

I prefer Shirley to Jane Eyre, but I wonder if that's because I was forced to read the latter at school. Very rarely does that build a love for a text...

Return to “Classic Books”