Out of Africa - Isak Dinesen

Please use this sub-forum to discuss any classic books or any very old fiction books or series.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Dashkova
Bookshelf Size: 0

Out of Africa - Isak Dinesen

Post by Dashkova »

The author Karen Blixen aka Isak Dinesen was a member of the Danish aristocracy who in 1913 moved to modern-day Kenya with her husband to start a coffee plantation, the book is a collection of short stories that she wrote about her time there. If you're into history I'd recommend it because it's a look into what I feel like is a very rare window in time and that the author had a very rare historical perspective, especially because she is someone who respected the natives there and learned a lot about them and from them.

The film version is one of my absolute favorite movies of all time and I ended up loving the book. The whole reason why the film is go great is because it tells the stories from the book so beautifully and so movingly and I wasn't expecting the book to be the same way; I figured the book would probably tell it all in a more cursory fashion and that Hollywood was responsible for turning it into such a poignant epic, but it actually is written that way. Whoever the writers on the film were and the cinematographers and the director, they did a really good job of capturing the essence of the book.

There's only been a few times where I have been struck by the artistry of an author's writing style and this was one of them, Isak Dinesen/Karen Blixen really knows how to tell a story.

I should warn you that it's also probably the saddest book I've ever read, but I think the story is worth it.
Julez
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 60
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-julez.html
Latest Review: Last Dance by Stephen Manning

Post by Julez »

Is it a story or collection of stories? What makes it so sad? I would love to read it.
Dashkova

Post by Dashkova »

Julez wrote:Is it a story or collection of stories? What makes it so sad? I would love to read it.
It's a collection of short stories. One of the biggest reasons for why the book is sad is because the detrimental effects that colonization was having on the African land and people are a major theme.
dennisgef

Post by dennisgef »

the book setting is my country kenya will enjoy reading to see the exact picture during our great grandfathers time
noralyn9941

Post by noralyn9941 »

Dashkova wrote:The author Karen Blixen aka Isak Dinesen was a member of the Danish aristocracy who in 1913 moved to modern-day Kenya with her husband to start a coffee plantation, the book is a collection of short stories that she wrote about her time there. If you're into history I'd recommend it because it's a look into what I feel like is a very rare window in time and that the author had a very rare historical perspective, especially because she is someone who respected the natives there and learned a lot about them and from them.

The film version is one of my absolute favorite movies of all time and I ended up loving the book. The whole reason why the film is go great is because it tells the stories from the book so beautifully and so movingly and I wasn't expecting the book to be the same way; I figured the book would probably tell it all in a more cursory fashion and that Hollywood was responsible for turning it into such a poignant epic, but it actually is written that way. Whoever the writers on the film were and the cinematographers and the director, they did a really good job of capturing the essence of the book.

There's only been a few times where I have been struck by the artistry of an author's writing style and this was one of them, Isak Dinesen/Karen Blixen really knows how to tell a story.

I should warn you that it's also probably the saddest book I've ever read, but I think the story is worth it.
Carolreads30
Favorite Author: Adriana Trigiani
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 21
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-carolreads30.html
Latest Review: Strong Heart by Charlie Sheldon
fav_author_id: 8071

Post by Carolreads30 »

I agree with your review completely. Although the story is sad, it is a good book and movie. I believe it is usually hard to find a book turned into a movie that are as similar as this one is. The movie is well directed! This is a must read!!!

Return to “Classic Books”