The Great Gatsby: What Makes Him So Great? [spoilers]

Please use this sub-forum to discuss any classic books or any very old fiction books or series.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
P Reefer
Favorite Book: The Lost Identity Casualties
Currently Reading: De Facto Feminisn
Bookshelf Size: 159
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-p-reefer.html
Latest Review: The McCoys Before The Feud by Thomas McCoy

Re: The Great Gatsby: What Makes Him So Great? [spoilers]

Post by P Reefer »

The Great Gatsby: What makes Him So Great? [spoilers]

The Great Gatsby is a memorable read. The characters, Gatsby and Nick are well crafted from the onset to build suspense and anticipation of the plot. The sultry conversational tone tosses the close reader into traveling the path from West Egg to East Egg. What is particularly attractive about Daisy the seductress in the plot is her earnest and bubbly personality. The intrigue of the novels builds as Nick thoughts are shared as he questions the icy and dim picture of the world painted by Daisy and is drawn into the glamour of Gatsby's lavish parties. The narrative subtly yet poignantly question the American Dream and lays bare the soullessness of a wholly materialistic outlook. Ultimately, it dams the rat-race and the get 'rich' philosophy of modern society.

by Paulette Reefer
sararealm
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 0

Post by sararealm »

I think it depends on our point of views...as for me he seemed like a rich man who had everything he desired and at the same time he also felt miserable without the love of his life. he was living an empty life but all people thought he was this great man who had no care in the world and he could have whatever he wished for...because we usually judge people by their looks and I think this book wanted us to see that whether we name someone as great or poor it depends on how deep we could see in to their pain and suffering and also happiness and joy at the same time.
Mely918
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 39
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-mely918.html
Latest Review: I'm Going to Kill that Cat by F. Della Notte

Post by Mely918 »

Personally, I did not like this book very much. The writing felt very dry to me. I did like the plot and characters, but found it difficult to read because of the writing. I would say it's a good read for anyone who is a fan of the roaring 20's.
Libs_Books
Favorite Book: The year of the flood
Currently Reading: Mason Dixon
Bookshelf Size: 273
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-libs-books.html
Latest Review: Dont Panic Its Organic by Dr. Andy Lopez

Post by Libs_Books »

The writing is very dry. I struggled with that, when I first read it; my students struggle with it. But the point is that the narrator, Nick, is himself a character: dry, detached, disillusioned. One of my students said the other day: "I hated it at first, but it's actually brilliant." Yes, but still not everybody's cup of tea.
Serena_Charlotte
Favorite Author: Neal Shusterman
Currently Reading: The Heads of Cerberus
Bookshelf Size: 80
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-serena-charlotte.html
Latest Review: Superhighway by Alex Fayman
fav_author_id: 2788

Post by Serena_Charlotte »

I think that the "great" in the title is similar to the name Gatsby. It's fabricated by Gatsby himself in an attempt to elevate himself socially and economically.
Where is the line between insanity and creativity?
Is the reality of the world different from how we perceive and experience it in our minds? Does physical reality exist apart from the human mind?
lakensteele20

Post by lakensteele20 »

I absolutely loved reading The Great Gatsby. It was one of my favorites in school. The storyline was just awesome! Definitely something I'd refer to others.
AMagnificentAmberson
Bookshelf Size: 23

Post by AMagnificentAmberson »

Well, there's the illusion of greatness that he created for himself juxtaposed by Nick's statement at the end that Gatsby was better than the rest of them.

#1, I believe the latter point means that Gatsby was a dreamer when he was surrounded by the opposite. I wish I had found this topic closer to when I last read the book so I could describe it better.

#2, I wonder if Fitzgerald was contrasting the "greatness" of success and all that fake stuff that Gatsby was using to impress Daisy with the real greatness of the man, his steadfast belief of dreams, of something better and more beautiful than the uber-realistic, protective, and destructive world that everyone else was so devoted to. They persisted, boy how they persisted, at all costs, while he dreamed at all costs, and perished. Perhaps this is what Fitzgerald thought of the 20s.
MsLisa
Currently Reading: Twisted But True
Bookshelf Size: 11
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-mslisa.html
Latest Review: The Different Kinds Of Monsters by Seth Chambers

Post by MsLisa »

This has to be one of my favorite books and movies. I think what made Gatsby seem so great at first was all the grandiose and mystery surrounding him but as the story progresses and his character starts to be unraveled for the reader or audience he seems broken and hollow like his life lacks a purpose which is not toxic or obsessive.
KatSims92
Currently Reading: The Beauty Myth
Bookshelf Size: 451
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-katsims92.html
Latest Review: From Drift to SHIFT by Jody B. Miller

Post by KatSims92 »

I think at first Gatsby seems a bit shallow and materialistic, but in my opinion when I found out he did it all for Daisy, that's what makes him great. His friendliness and ever-present love for her is what made him great in my opinion.
Mimiblue9

Post by Mimiblue9 »

I believe that the “great” implied in the title is Nick’s view on Gatsby. He sees a man who is consumed by his wealth and status, but is still just a man nonetheless. He is a man that is considered great because of his undeniable love for a woman over a considerable amount of time being absent from one another. To me, that is what Nick is defining as “great.” Unfortunately, Gatsby’s attempts to win Daisy over is through his fortune, which Daisy no longer desires due to her husband’s considerable wealth, as well.
Abigail R
Currently Reading: The Problem of Pain
Bookshelf Size: 69
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-abigail-r.html
Latest Review: My Prism Window by P. A. Schweizer

Post by Abigail R »

I don't remember having high opinions of Jay Gatsby himself. When I read it as a high schooler, I was far more intrigued by the extravagant parties and roaring 20s. I've been wanting to read it again now that I am older and can look past parties.
Sharill Rasowo
In It Together VIP
Currently Reading: Worldlines
Bookshelf Size: 210
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-sharill-rasowo.html
Latest Review: Kalayla by Jeannie Nicholas

Post by Sharill Rasowo »

He was really not that great and used his money to mask his insecurities which were numerous. Ultimately he was a tragic figure that can be often found mirrored through our society.
Facennagoss
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 19
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-facennagoss.html
Latest Review: Will of The Hill by Marshall Cobb

Post by Facennagoss »

I love The Great Gatsby but I don’t think Gatsby himself is great at all. His character is a satire on high society. There is a belief of greatness but the underlying issues surrounding this belief are what cause the ultimate downfall.
Nad6568
Currently Reading:

Post by Nad6568 »

I believe all the reviews about whether or not the Great Gatsby is truly great is beautiful. I think his love for Daisy is great and that he held on to it till death is truly remarkable. Everyone should read the tragic story of the Great Gatsby
Amyrich

Post by Amyrich »

I'd read the Great Gatsby in 11th grade for the first time. I fell instantly in love. And of course, as I do with all my fav books, I read them every so often. 15 years later, after about 4-5 rereads of the Great Gatsby, I just find him to be a really really sad dude who just never learned to let go of things. Completely impractical. Like a child, taking his tantrum-like obsession to extreme lengths instead of growing up and just letting go and moving on with life. But keeping in mind my initial awe of Gatsby (as a teenager), I guess his love was indeed, great. Don't find guys like that, except in fiction!

Return to “Classic Books”