Anne Series by L.M. Montgomery (Spoilers)

Please use this sub-forum to discuss any classic books or any very old fiction books or series.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Lovely359
Currently Reading: The Expansion
Bookshelf Size: 4

Re: Anne Series by L.M. Montgomery (Spoilers)

Post by Lovely359 »

I think Anne more than anything is relatable to girls who are deemed weird or unusual. It's interesting that one of the best fiction boys, Gilbert Blythe, even says "being smart was better than being pretty." Montgomery really reinforces the idea that girls can be bookish and independent without gender stereotypes affecting their future. Anne is one of the best characters in the book simply because she does not resort to the pettiness and gossip that the other girls stoop to. Lastly, I love the third book because Anne continues to pursue higher education despite the naysayers and her economic challenges, that alone is admirable.
Haute_Coffee
Currently Reading: Pimp
Bookshelf Size: 368
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-haute-coffee.html
Latest Review: A Stone of Hope by Janet S. Kleinman
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU

Post by Haute_Coffee »

Lovely359 wrote: 13 Mar 2018, 15:07 I think Anne more than anything is relatable to girls who are deemed weird or unusual. It's interesting that one of the best fiction boys, Gilbert Blythe, even says "being smart was better than being pretty." Montgomery really reinforces the idea that girls can be bookish and independent without gender stereotypes affecting their future. Anne is one of the best characters in the book simply because she does not resort to the pettiness and gossip that the other girls stoop to. Lastly, I love the third book because Anne continues to pursue higher education despite the naysayers and her economic challenges, that alone is admirable.
I agree with you!! I LOVED these books as a child and I was a big reader but far from a quiet little girl. I was headstrong and kind of mischievous just like Anne. I especially loved the ambition she showed.
EllieA
Currently Reading: Diary of a Snoopy Cat
Bookshelf Size: 33
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-elliea.html
Latest Review: Solaris Seethes (Solaris Saga book 1) by Janet McNulty

Post by EllieA »

kuronekonya wrote: 07 Dec 2017, 02:53
Harmony Hills wrote: 23 Jul 2017, 08:49 Yes. It makes you want to live in the past and experience it yourself. :) Things really have changed and with the social media stirring things up, everything's an issue. I do hope kids would get to know Anne Shirley. Thank you for commenting! :)
I have the exact opposite feeling! I found it quite amusing that in one of the books in the series, Rainbow Valley, which features Anne's children and the children of the new minister, that there was so much drama over tiny insignificant things. Like not wearing stockings to church! Or singing a lively song in a graveyard. Or accidentally cleaning the house on a Sunday. Another book in the series featured an atheist family, and being an atheist I found the family's portrayal rather interesting. It made me more grateful that I live in the modern era, where my lack of religion and my choice of dress or private activity would not be under constant scrutiny. At the very least when it comes to social media, I put that selfie up there of my own volition!
I have to agree with you... and I love these books! But I do get a little concerned over how much people romanticize the past. I am beyond grateful to live in a time of modern medicine and modern values. As a person who's child only survived croup because of a hospital stay with LOTS of steroid treatment, the scene where Anne is the hero for "saving" the baby by making her vomit makes me both furious and tearful. And the lessons tend to be sweet, but it's sad how hard Anne has to struggle to be "liberated" enough to finish school and then work in an approved profession for women. And not all the girls are able to because it's considered unnecessary for women to be educated by some of the main characters.

I guess I am trying to say these books are great as a rose-tinted window to peak into a sweet story from the past through. Great for escapism, not for #futuregoals
mrswoodlee
Currently Reading: Dreamlander
Bookshelf Size: 15
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-mrswoodlee.html
Latest Review: Strong Heart by Charlie Sheldon

Post by mrswoodlee »

I love the Anne of Green Gables series! I've read them all. I re-read the first three or so every couple of years. I pretty much AM Anne. Red hair and all. LOL And who doesn't love GILBERT? <3
mrswoodlee
Currently Reading: Dreamlander
Bookshelf Size: 15
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-mrswoodlee.html
Latest Review: Strong Heart by Charlie Sheldon

Post by mrswoodlee »

Lovely359 wrote: 13 Mar 2018, 15:07 I think Anne more than anything is relatable to girls who are deemed weird or unusual. It's interesting that one of the best fiction boys, Gilbert Blythe, even says "being smart was better than being pretty." Montgomery really reinforces the idea that girls can be bookish and independent without gender stereotypes affecting their future. Anne is one of the best characters in the book simply because she does not resort to the pettiness and gossip that the other girls stoop to. Lastly, I love the third book because Anne continues to pursue higher education despite the naysayers and her economic challenges, that alone is admirable.
She was very relatable to me. Red hair, bookish, always getting into scrapes and dreaming—all me. These books were life-giving. Still are.
Djsexymama33
Bookshelf Size: 0

Post by Djsexymama33 »

:D loved the books and the imagery. Makes me yearn for the old days. There should be more authors like this.
Defranco34
Bookshelf Size: 0

Post by Defranco34 »

Anne is a good characters in the book, simply because she does not resort to drama. I can relate to how she feels, an thinks. I will forever be a fan, an will read these series!
gladys68
Currently Reading: Latter End
Bookshelf Size: 3
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-gladys68.html
Latest Review: Can I Be Frank? by Rob Wyatt

Post by gladys68 »

I love Anne of Green Gables! I still read the book as an adult and enjoy it just as much now as when I was younger.
thaservices1
Favorite Book: Nightlord: Sunset
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 89
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-thaservices1.html
Latest Review: ChatGPT for Entrepreneurs by Steven A. Ridder

Post by thaservices1 »

These books were absolute favorites when I was younger. I've reread them as an adult and they were still beautiful if not as engrossing. I was startled to realize I had picked my, what I thought was original, gaming screen name from two characters in one of the books. Eliza and Dora to make Elizadora (me). That's how heavy an impact these books had on me.
Facennagoss
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 19
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-facennagoss.html
Latest Review: Will of The Hill by Marshall Cobb

Post by Facennagoss »

Harmony Hills wrote: 03 Jul 2017, 08:20 This is my favorite series, and i looked at the topics in this forum and i did not found one with Anne.

This is a coming of age series about a kid named Anne and her peculiar attitude. She's very bright and talkativr and with "kindred spirit".

I like Anne and i strive to be like her.

Anybody there who likes this series as well? :D
I really like this series because it provides a complete escape. I may come home with a stack of books that need marking but Anne’s biggest worries are the colour of her hair and how others spell her name! It takes you a way to a much simpler time.
Jsovermyer
Favorite Book: Appaloosa Sky
Currently Reading: The Pocket Guide to Minimalism
Bookshelf Size: 147
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-jsovermyer.html
Latest Review: Solomon’s Porch by Janet Morris Grimes

Post by Jsovermyer »

I read the first book, Anne of Green Gables, and enjoyed it greatly. There is an excellent Netflix series, Anne with an E, about this book. I recommend it.
MaryPowers88
Favorite Book: The Storyteller's Secret
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 48
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-marypowers88.html
Latest Review: MY FRIEND Marilyn by Christopher Lentz
Reading Device: B00IKPYKWG

Post by MaryPowers88 »

I loved this series and have all the books by L.M. Montgomery, luckily downloaded in a collection on my kindle.
I haven't watched the new movies/series. The 1985 version stands as my visual companion to the book. When I want the comfort of a simpler time, I read L.M. Montgomery.
Lexi_22
Currently Reading: Shadow in the Deep
Bookshelf Size: 18

Post by Lexi_22 »

I am a huge fan of the Anne of Green Gables series! I can honestly say that the person I am today was influenced by these books, specifically by the character of Anne Shirley herself. She is the most optimistic, enthusiastic, and imaginative person I have ever met (I feel like I know her personally even though that's not true in real life). I was very young when I was introduced to this beautiful story from Prince Edward Island, and it intrigued me to no end. These books follow the life of Anne Shirley from a young orphan girl to a talented and brilliant young woman set on making something of herself. She didn't allow the circumstances of her humble beginnings to stop her from pursuing her dreams. And she didn't allow her character flaws to hold her back from bettering herself and becoming the best version of herself possible. These books are about growth, the process of maturity, friendship, love, perseverance, and loyalty. They have taught me many things about how to live life to the fullest and enjoy every moment.
LinaMueller
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 261
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-linamueller.html
Latest Review: The Wingless Fairy by Kye Strothers

Post by LinaMueller »

Anne of Green Gables is one of my favorite books. I've really enjoyed the series. Its really for a younger audience, but I reread it every few years.
Heart! We will forget him!
You an I, tonight!
You may forget the warmth he gave,
I will forget the light.

When you have done, pray tell me
That I my thoughts may dim;
Haste! lest while you're lagging.
I may remember him!

Emily Dickinson
Jiya bothara
Favorite Book: Anne of Green Gables
Currently Reading: Man Mission
Bookshelf Size: 16

Post by Jiya bothara »

ReadingRebecca wrote: 24 Jul 2017, 20:19 I love the Anne series, but I confess I haven't read them all. Lol. I've seen all three movies along with some of the episodes of Tales of Avonlea I believe it's called. There's also a new series about Anne on Netflix called Anne With An "E" that I'm planning to watch.

Have you read any of L.M. Montgomery's other works like Emily of New Moon, or her short story collections?

Also, have you been to Prince Edward Island in Canada where the author lived? My family went there when I was a teenager and the place was so beautiful, just like the movies. I want to go again and take my husband this time.

How did you discover the Anne books?
I have read all the books in the series except the 'BLYTHES ARE QUOTED'. I got to know about these books because in school we had a chapter from the first book.

I absolutely love this series. I downloaded it on Kindle and have read all the 7 books 3 times. The last one 'RILLA OF INGLESIDE' is really touching. I once want to visit Prince Edward Island.

Who else wants to visit P.E Island??

Return to “Classic Books”