Anne Series by L.M. Montgomery (Spoilers)

Please use this sub-forum to discuss any classic books or any very old fiction books or series.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Jiya bothara
Favorite Book: Anne of Green Gables
Currently Reading: Man Mission
Bookshelf Size: 16

Re: Anne Series by L.M. Montgomery (Spoilers)

Post by Jiya bothara »

Lexi_22 wrote: 21 May 2019, 14:50 I am a huge fan of the Anne of Green Gables series! I can honestly say that the person I am today was influenced by these books, specifically by the character of Anne Shirley herself. She is the most optimistic, enthusiastic, and imaginative person I have ever met (I feel like I know her personally even though that's not true in real life). I was very young when I was introduced to this beautiful story from Prince Edward Island, and it intrigued me to no end. These books follow the life of Anne Shirley from a young orphan girl to a talented and brilliant young woman set on making something of herself. She didn't allow the circumstances of her humble beginnings to stop her from pursuing her dreams. And she didn't allow her character flaws to hold her back from bettering herself and becoming the best version of herself possible. These books are about growth, the process of maturity, friendship, love, perseverance, and loyalty. They have taught me many things about how to live life to the fullest and enjoy every moment.
Very true. I feel the same
lettiebeth
Bookshelf Size: 0

Post by lettiebeth »

Oh my word! Yes! We just might be kindred spirits. ;)

The Christmas I was eight, my grandmother gave me the complete boxed set. I read those books to pieces as a kid. I have taped and re-taped them over the years. She recently offered to get me a new set, but I told her that I treasure my old loved-to-death Anne books.

It is impossible for me to pick a favorite. I don't know if it's possible to match, much less excel, the magic of the first book, but if not, the sequels sure come close! I think Captain Jim and his Life Book are the best part of Anne's House of Dreams, and my favorite of all as a kid was Rainbow Valley. The older I get, the more beautiful and horrible Rilla of Ingelside becomes to me, especially as I read the journals of L.M. Montgomery and realized that in writing of the war, she was writing what she knew.

The only one I didn't care for as a kid was Anne of Windy Poplars, but I enjoy even that one now. I'm thirty-three and I still re-read the whole set every year or two.

If you haven't tried any of Montgomery's other books, I think you should. I'm also a huge fan of the Emily trilogy as well as Kilmeny of the Orchard, The Blue Castle, The Story Girl, and The Golden Road. I also really enjoy the short story collections compiled by Rea Wilmshurst.

May your hair by raven black! :wink:
UnicornKnight
Favorite Author: Nora Sakavic
Currently Reading: Shadow and Bone (Shadow and Bone Trilogy #1)
Bookshelf Size: 287
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-unicornknight.html
Latest Review: Health Tips, Myths, and Tricks by Morton E Tavel, MD
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU
fav_author_id: 58836

Post by UnicornKnight »

I love this series! Admittedly I only got the first book when I was little and only read books 2 and 3 in high school. After that I found book 4 at around senior year and I sadly never finished all the books. I think after the focus wasn't on Anne as much I lost interest. But I still find myself reading books 1-3 every couple of years. Maybe it was because I read them when I was younger but I didn't expect Anne to actually end up with anyone, and I loved how she and Gilbert ended up together.
lwahls2
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 33
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-lwahls2.html
Latest Review: Killing Abel by Michael Tieman

Post by lwahls2 »

Anne of Green Gables is one of my all time favorite books. My fifth grade teacher bought it for me and from then on I was hooked! I bought and read the rest of the series and usually reread every few years. Anyone else wish that they lived when Anne did on PEI? I realize it’s fiction but I always wished that Anne was real.
Laura Martin

“Because when you are imagining, you might as well imagine something worthwhile.”
― Lucy Maud Montgomery, Anne of Green Gables
Thea Frederick
Currently Reading: Little Dorrit
Bookshelf Size: 69
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-thea-frederick.html
Latest Review: How to Cope: Parenting a Child with Special Needs by Christine E. Staple Ebanks

Post by Thea Frederick »

I love this series! It’s so good and really beautifully written. I have never read someone who describes the world like L. M. Montgomery.
-Thea M. Frederick
lwahls2
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 33
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-lwahls2.html
Latest Review: Killing Abel by Michael Tieman

Post by lwahls2 »

The Anne of Green Gables books are the absolute best. My fifth grade teacher bought me a copy and I've read it so much, it's worn down. I echo many on this thread who wish they lived during this time. Everything seemed simple and innocent. Reading books, hanging out in meadows and rowing down the creek. I wish that was real life now!
Laura Martin

“Because when you are imagining, you might as well imagine something worthwhile.”
― Lucy Maud Montgomery, Anne of Green Gables
Samwisekoop
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 41
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-samwisekoop.html
Latest Review: Perfection and Other Illusive Things by J Mercer

Post by Samwisekoop »

Anne of Green Gables is AWESOME!!! I love her fiery and vivacious spirit! This world wouldn't be the same without "kindred spirits" and The White Way of Delight!!
"Even the smallest person can change the course of the future." - Galadriel
HanElizabeth397
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 23
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-hanelizabeth397.html
Latest Review: The Mindset by Ace Bowers

Post by HanElizabeth397 »

I've read the first book in the series and I actually didn't realise there was more than one! Going to add this to my list now...
Lady-of-Literature
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 29
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-lady-of-literature.html
Latest Review: Twisted Threads by Kaylin McFarren

Post by Lady-of-Literature »

I can't say I'm a fan, I didn't find myself really captivated.
Dzejn_Crvena
Favorite Book: The Greater Understanding
Currently Reading: The Wish List
Bookshelf Size: 2318
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-dzejn-crvena.html
Latest Review: Serendipity Mystery: Diary of a Snoopy Cat by R.F. Kristi

Post by Dzejn_Crvena »

I read the first book in 2018, and I cannot stop myself from recommending Anne of Green Gables!
Anne is very quirky and expressive about her ideals.
I almost read it in college but thought maybe a classic was too much for me. By the time the anime series was aired in my country, I decided to read the whole book after I was captivated by Anne's character.
Last year, I read book 2 and I assure you it's as funny as book 1!
Worth reading for when you want an uplifting story. I will surely continue to read the sequels.
just call me "jane" :tiphat:
Black Jewel
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 65
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-black-jewel.html
Latest Review: The Game by Molly Perry

Post by Black Jewel »

I read these books as a kid, and tried to re-read them about a year ago, and found my perceptions from then to now have altered tremendously. As a kid, I was charmed by Anne's wide eyed innocence. Being older on my re-read, I kept finding myself frustrated with the sheer simplicity of Anne's views. She was extremely sheltered, which I understand was part of the times at that point, but I know for a fact that I would go insane if I somehow found myself being transported from my current time to the back then times.
Starofthesea89
Currently Reading: How the Word was Passed
Bookshelf Size: 15
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-starofthesea89.html
Latest Review: Let The Children Come by Tom Fay

Post by Starofthesea89 »

Oh my. This is probably my favorite series of all time. My firstborns name came from these books. (not Anne, but Avonlea) I've read all 8 in the series multiple time and I'm probably about to go through them again. It never gets old. I found a kindred spirit in Anne. So much of me I see in her, except, alas my hair is brown and not red. I've visited Prince Edward Island and that is such a joy. I can only hope my children enjoy the series as much as I do.
Olgamiell
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 27
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-olgamiell.html
Latest Review: We are Voulhire: The Knights of Chalethire by Matthew Tysz

Post by Olgamiell »

I love the entire series, and Anne was one of my favourite childhood characters. I had a set of tapes (not sure can I call them audiobooks!), so I knew her adventures before I even could read! Then I read and re-read the series, and as an adult, I still find them appealing. The innocence and positivity just spark from the pages. And I was always shipping Anne's relationship with Gilbert.
Alie Lowery
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 12

Post by Alie Lowery »

I absolutely love this series. I read this when I was fairly young, and I’ve regularly re-read it since then. I own all the books that are from Anne’s point of view (but I have read the ones that aren’t such as Rainbow Valley and Rilla of Ingleside).
hismercysurrounding
Favorite Book: The Hiding Place
Currently Reading: The Old Curiosity Shop
Bookshelf Size: 13

Post by hismercysurrounding »

It's one of my favorite series! There's such a charming and homey feeling about it, along with the beauty of nature/creation, friendships, love, humor.
It is interesting that there are some striking similarities between Anne and Gilbert in this and Jo and Laurie in Little Women. I saw a web-site once that compared the two dialogues when the men proposed to the ladies, and it was sometimes about word-for-word. Not sure why, but it's very interesting.

Return to “Classic Books”