To Kill a Mockingbird OR Go Set a Watchman? By Harper Lee

Please use this sub-forum to discuss any classic books or any very old fiction books or series.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.

To Kill a Mockingbird or Go Set a Watchman?

To Kill a Mockingbird by Harper Lee
97%
Go Set a Watchman by Harper Lee
3%

Total votes: 35

TobiOrNotTobi
Currently Reading: Dracula
Bookshelf Size: 78
Reading Device: B00IKPYKWG

To Kill a Mockingbird OR Go Set a Watchman? By Harper Lee

Post by TobiOrNotTobi »

Which story did you enjoy more?

THERE MAY BE SPOILERS IN THIS DISCUSSION, SO READ AT YOUR OWN RISK.

To Kill a Mockingbird RECAP:

It takes place in Maycomb County, Alabama during the Great Depression. Jean Louise Finch or "Scout" is a young girl, and is oblivious to pretty much everything (we notice this more during the flashbacks in Go Set a Watchman). Her dad, Atticus Finch, is a lawyer, and is defending a black male for being accused of raping a white male's daughter. Scout sees the trial, and during the whole book, she stuck up for her father the whole time. She believed that black people should be treated, have the same rights, and viewed like white people. In reality, the white male actually raped his daughter, instead of the black male. Atticus and his defendant won the trial.

Go Set a Watchman RECAP:

Jean Louise is now a young lady in her late twenties. She has a job in New York. It is now the summer, and her dad is suffering from arthritis. Jean Louise goes back to Maycomb County, Alabama, and realizes it's not the same Maycomb from when she grew up there. Her boyfriend (if that's what you can to call him), Henry or as Jean Louise calls him "Hank" Clinton, wants to marry Jean Louise, but Jean Louise refuses because she claims to be no longer in love with him. During a meeting in the old trial house from To Kill a Mockingbird, Jean Louise goes inside, and sees what the men are talking about. They're talking about how blacks should not be getting anymore privileges, and that they're taking advantage of the white people. Jean Louise notices that her dad and Henry are there, and it causes her to get really upset, because her dad is now a racist old man. Jean Louise fights with her dad and Henry, and then is told by the both of them why they were there. Jean Louise still doesn't forgive them, until her Uncle Jack, or Dr. Finch, explains in a more depth way. Jean Louise finally understands, and goes back to her dad to apologize.

I'm sorry for my crappy summaries. XD I only did that for those who just wanted to have a recap.

Anyway, in my opinion, I don't know which story I enjoyed better. xD I really liked both of them. What really made me sad in Go Set a Watchman was that *spoiler alert* Jem is dead, and we never find out how he died (although my guess is that he either got hit by a car, or just killed by someone, because when Jean Louise was near her dad's office, she cringes at the site of "Jem's death").

I guess since I read To Kill a Mockingbird first, I'm a little more emotional and connected to the story. It was much more light-hearted (at least the first part) than Go Set a Watchman. Although, in Go Set a Watchman, *spoiler alert* I was dumbfounded at the fact about Jean Louise being color blind.

What do you guys think?
"Grief is deeper when the sun goes down and memories rise up with the moon and stars." - "A Lineage of Grace" by Francine Rivers
pdfland
Bookshelf Size: 0

Post by pdfland »

In my opinion to kill a mockingbird is far better than Go set a watchman.
TobiOrNotTobi

Post by TobiOrNotTobi »

pdfland wrote:In my opinion to kill a mockingbird is far better than Go set a watchman.
I agree with you, but remember that Got Set a Watchman was written before To Kill a Mockingbird.

In my opinion, I didn't like how Jean Louise got so upset about Atticus and Henry going to that meeting even after when Atticus and Henry explained themselves. I was also a little annoyed how Jean Louise didn't want to marry Henry. I think they were going to make a great married couple, and it was obvious that they still both loved each other. Jean Louise was being a bit too stubborn.

It kinda reminds me of Rory from Gilmore Girls. At the very end of the series, she could have had anything she wanted, and she rejected it all. She had someone she truly loved, and that same person truly loved her back, and she still rejected him. Fast forward to the new series, she's still in love with that same person, but she waited too long, because that person got engaged.

This tells us all to never leave the advantages that life gives us. If there's something you want, and it's in your reach, take it! Don't reject it, and then later on tell yourself you want it, because you may not be able to get it.
"Grief is deeper when the sun goes down and memories rise up with the moon and stars." - "A Lineage of Grace" by Francine Rivers
EMoffat
Currently Reading: Norse Mythology
Bookshelf Size: 134
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-emoffat.html
Latest Review: A Life In Waiting by Katrina Benson

Post by EMoffat »

I much preferred To Kill a Mockingbird. I found Go Set a Watchmen too forced, and I didn't like the implications that Atticus was racist. It would be hard to beat To Kill a Mockingbird for me though, it is magical
TobiOrNotTobi

Post by TobiOrNotTobi »

EMoffat wrote:I much preferred To Kill a Mockingbird. I found Go Set a Watchmen too forced, and I didn't like the implications that Atticus was racist. It would be hard to beat To Kill a Mockingbird for me though, it is magical
Can you explain how Go Set a Watchman was "too forced?" It was written before To Kill a Mockingbird.
I didn't think it was forced. To be honest, I think Harper Lee could have done a little better with the whole story line. Maybe that's why it never got published on her behalf. Although, if that were the case, she could have just polished it a little bit.
EMoffat
Currently Reading: Norse Mythology
Bookshelf Size: 134
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-emoffat.html
Latest Review: A Life In Waiting by Katrina Benson

Post by EMoffat »

I know it was written before, but maybe there was a reason it wasn't published and TKAM was? I just thought the character development and storyline felt forced, the flow wasn't natural and enticing like TKAM.
TobiOrNotTobi

Post by TobiOrNotTobi »

EMoffat wrote:I know it was written before, but maybe there was a reason it wasn't published and TKAM was? I just thought the character development and storyline felt forced, the flow wasn't natural and enticing like TKAM.
I researched the publications on Go Set a Watchman, and there was no definite answer. Some things should be left unanswered, and Harper Lee seems to have done a good job on leaving things unanswered. I pay my respects to her.
Storygamer88
Currently Reading: The Curious Incident of the Dog in the Night-Time
Bookshelf Size: 365
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-storygamer88.html
Latest Review: "A Town Called Gonefor" by Wesley Cris
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU

Post by Storygamer88 »

To Kill a Mockingbird is such a classic, I didn't really expect Go Set a Watchman to live up to its standards. Its hard to keep up with its caliber of writing IMO. Its themes and characters are just so amazing and so concise yet so deep. (so of course I vote for TKAM)
Hi all. I like board games, card games, video games, books (especially children's books and mysteries), stories, cartoons, anime, manga, light novels, animation, and other light-hearted, fun things. Feel free to message if you want to chat!
Latest Review: "A Town Called Gonefor" by Wesley Cris
Anirudh Badri
Currently Reading: Quiet
Bookshelf Size: 47
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-anirudh-badri.html
Latest Review: Galactic Passages: Planet 6333 by Dean and Anson Vargo

Post by Anirudh Badri »

I have not read Go Set a Watchman yet because I don't really expect it to live up to the older work. Should probably get around to it soon.
It is what you read when you don’t have to that determines what you will be when you can’t help it.

–Oscar Wilde
1402png
Bookshelf Size: 0

Post by 1402png »

I think I prefer TKAM to go set a watch man
Jackie Holycross
Currently Reading: The 7 Experiment
Bookshelf Size: 306
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-teacherjh.html
Latest Review: 20 World Religions and Faith Practices by Robyn Lebron

Post by Jackie Holycross »

To Kill a Mockingbird is probably my favorite book of all time. The characters are amazing and the plot is heart-wrenching. Consequently, I was totally excited when Go Set a Watchman was published. Unfortunately I couldn't get past the first few chapters. My favorite character seemed flat and the plot was dull. A friend told me it gets better so I may try again in the future.
freakkshowx
Currently Reading: Last Train to Istanbul
Bookshelf Size: 77
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-freakkshowx.html
Latest Review: Misreading Judas by Robert Wahler

Post by freakkshowx »

I haven't read Go Set A Watchman because I heard that it was against the author's wishes to publish it. Can anyone confirm this? I don't want to miss out on it if there isn't a problem, and I'll honestly let it sit for a decade if it is true before reading it, just because I'm intrigued by Harper Lee's private writing endeavors.
dtb
Currently Reading: A Darker Shade of Magic
Bookshelf Size: 42
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-dtb.html
Latest Review: Four Funny Potatoes! by Len Foley
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU

Post by dtb »

I love To Kill a Mockingbird. I did read Go Set a Watchman, but didn't connect with the characters in the same way. I think it was the children and seeing the incomprehensible injustice of the world through their eyes that really made To Kill a Mockingbird so touching and honest.
ASB_1
Currently Reading: Andalusian in jerusalum
Bookshelf Size: 27
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-asb-1.html
Latest Review: Yesterday by Samyann

Post by ASB_1 »

I think I like both books but I’m more connected with “ to kill a mocking bird” and I didn’t like “go set a watchman” as much as TKAMB because sequals don’t make THAT impact on me, maybe.
Latest Review: Yesterday by Samyann
Dael Reader
Currently Reading: The Story of Arthur Truluv
Bookshelf Size: 53
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-dael-reader.html
Latest Review: Extraordinary Stories From Everyday People (and me) by Les Clark
Reading Device: 1400697484

Post by Dael Reader »

Go Set a Watchman was an embarrassment of a book. A complete waste of paper and ink. It should never have been published.

Return to “Classic Books”