How do you define a classic?

Please use this sub-forum to discuss any classic books or any very old fiction books or series.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Owuamanam Eberechukwu
Currently Reading: All will be revealed
Bookshelf Size: 107
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-owuamanam-eberechukwu.html
Latest Review: How to be a SuperStar Salesperson by Audri White

Re: How do you define a classic?

Post by Owuamanam Eberechukwu »

Jaime Lync wrote: 08 May 2017, 15:04 I feel that the Classics refer to a list of books that were written a set time ago and are still memorable to date. But is that really what a classic is? How old does a book have to be to be considered a classic? Is a book written in the 1980's not a classic whereas one written in the 1970s is one? Will great books of modern time be considered classics after 20-30 years?
I think so too. But what makes a classic book for me is the meaning and relevance. A book is considered a classic if one finds more satisfaction in rereading them. The more you read it, the more sense it makes. And the tend not to outlive their relevance.
"I am learning every day to allow the space between where I am and where I want to be to inspire me and not terrify me."
Tracee Ellis Ross
Meenahhhh
Currently Reading: How to Live a Life of Hope
Bookshelf Size: 25
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-meenahhhh.html
Latest Review: We are Voulhire: A New Arrival under Great Skies by Matthew Tysz

Post by Meenahhhh »

To me, it's an old book, written many many years ago but yet still popular till today. Sometimes they form a part of pop culture.
Marsha JJ
In It Together VIP
Favorite Book: On the Precipice of the Labyrinth
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 137
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-marsha-jj.html
Latest Review: Tyler's Promised Gift by M. C. Abushar

Post by Marsha JJ »

I do think of classic books as those that feel "timeless" and will be enjoyed at any point in time. I appreciate the term "modern classics" as that can be used to help differentiate from those older books to ones that are more current, but also classic in the lessons they convey.
Penny Ann Criswell Johnson
Book of the Month Participant
Favorite Book: Totem
Currently Reading: Snatched up to heaven
Bookshelf Size: 123
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-penny-ann-criswell-johnson.html
Latest Review: Fireproof Happiness by Dr. Randy Ross

Post by Penny Ann Criswell Johnson »

A classic to me is a book that was written a long time ago and it’s still talked about today, taught in school and has stood the test of time. There are also classic writers like Hemingway, Hans Christian Andersen, Charles Dickens, and Shakespeare.
Michael Villanueva
Currently Reading: Price Wars
Bookshelf Size: 60
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-michael-villanueva.html
Latest Review: Bambara by Joseph Eidelberg
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU

Post by Michael Villanueva »

I think classics is defined by genre. When it comes to literary classics, it typically goes back to the early 1900s and before. When you are talking about fantasy, the genre classic would be The Lord of the Rings with the trilogy not coming out until the mid-1950s. The timeline gets even later with the sci-fi genre, where the "Big Three" classic authors of Robert Heinlein, Isaac Asimov, and Arthur C. Clark publishing many of their works through the 1980s.

Anne Rice's "Interview with a Vampire" was published in the 1970s but to me it isn't a classic, Dracula is the classic horror novel. However, the Dune novels are classics within the sci fi genre even though many of them were published after Anne Rice's vampire series.
Ayesha Ameera Memon
Currently Reading: Culture Jock
Bookshelf Size: 33
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ayesha-ameera-memon.html
Latest Review: Natural Relief for Anxiety and Stress by Gustavo Kinrys, MD

Post by Ayesha Ameera Memon »

To me a classic is a mix of a few different things. It's old and timeless, but at the same time charming and easy to re-read, something that makes you nostalgic and reminds you of maybe your childhood or something.
Loniya Chabili Mubanga
Currently Reading: The sea keepers daughter
Bookshelf Size: 254
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-loniya-chabili-mubanga.html
Latest Review: American Dream? by Jeoung Lee

Post by Loniya Chabili Mubanga »

Wow! This is something I've never actively thought about. I've always thought of a classic as book written a long time ago before I was even in the discussion of being born. And it has to have English I can't automatically decipher. With petticoats of course.
Amberly Ayra
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 10
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-amberly-ayra.html
Latest Review: Man Mission by Eytan Uliel

Post by Amberly Ayra »

For me a classic is a book that has stood the test of time. That is why a book that is ten years old is not a classic for me. But if I were 30-50 years old it would be different. Because then you have surpassed one or two generations of people.
Onyinyechi Orji
In It Together VIP
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 82
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-onyinyechi-orji.html
Latest Review: Commercial Property Made Easy by Chris Lang

Post by Onyinyechi Orji »

A classic is something you can read a good number of times despite the period and still never get bores
shilpa khanom
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 11
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-shilpa-khanom.html
Latest Review: Black, White, and Gray All Over by Frederick Douglass Reynolds

Post by shilpa khanom »

This topic is definitely an intricate one and is defined differently according to who you ask, I guess. The answer I settled on connects classics to national literary canons which are normally decided by educational institutions but also the publishing industry (think of Penguin Classics for example). I think a lot of the time what becomes a classic depends on dominant ideas at the time so for example pushing for patriotic fervor or pushing for a specific value to be adopted etc. The same process for the opposite instance which is what books are banned.
Arthur Bukosia
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 4
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-arthur-bukosia.html
Latest Review: The Fox by M. N. J. Butler

Post by Arthur Bukosia »

For me age and reader ratings define a classic. For a book to make its way into this genre, it must have written in the 19th century going backwards. The book also, must have had a great number of readers and the readers must have rated it higher, used it in plays or drama, used it in public and academic lectures and to some extent, must have received a great deal of international impressions or audience. Classics are timeless and when read address issues affecting the society now, one reading relates with the book in a way.
Isaac Oh
Book of the Month Participant
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 84
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-isaac-oh.html
Latest Review: The Natural Guard by Michael L. Chapla

Post by Isaac Oh »

To me, any book that is worth re-reading is a classic.
IgnisRhapsody
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 5
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ignisrhapsody.html
Latest Review: A Dream For Peace by Dr. Ghoulem Berrah

Post by IgnisRhapsody »

For me a classic book is one that stands the test of time. It is that story that shows a timeless lesson, be it good advice or a warning. That is why they will always be recommended. I think that a classic book should be at least 50 years old, because that way we know that it is a book that has lasted for two or three generations.
Valeria Rotaru
Currently Reading: Of Human Bondage
Bookshelf Size: 13
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-valeria-rotaru.html
Latest Review: The Legacy of Job's Wife by Cynthia Koelker
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU

Post by Valeria Rotaru »

To me, a classic means an author that writes laconically, profoundly, and regardless of the literary movement to which he/she adheres, remains authentic in all periods of time.
Ashna Tibrewal
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 14
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ashna-tibrewal.html
Latest Review: The Magician's Secret by Charles Townsend

Post by Ashna Tibrewal »

Classic would be a book that lasts through a long period and still serves to relate and invoke new ideas and thoughts.

Return to “Classic Books”