To kill a mockingbird

Please use this sub-forum to discuss any classic books or any very old fiction books or series.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
amb1339
Bookshelf Size: 0
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-amb1339.html

Re: To kill a mockingbird

Post by amb1339 »

I read this book, but I didn't like it as everyone said I would. It's not bad, but definitely not one of my favorites. I like the storyline of the book, so maybe I'll read it again to fully understand it. I would recommend this book as it is a classic, and referred to constantly.
cnag9604
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-cnag9604.html

Post by cnag9604 »

I loved reading this when I was in high school! Jem rocks!

-- 14 Sep 2016, 19:43 --

I loved reading this when I was in high school! Jem rocks!
afreddy4
Currently Reading: The Nightingale
Bookshelf Size: 56
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-afreddy4.html

Post by afreddy4 »

I read this in high school for english class like a lot of teenagers and this was one book that I loved and enjoyed reading for class. It wasn't a difficult book to read but it was powerful. The characters wove a story and created deeper meaning for me than any other book I have read.

I have read it once since and now talking about it, I would love to read it again. It is a timeless classic that always seems to apply to today.
love-2-read

Post by love-2-read »

A remarkable story of small town life in the South. Mischievous Scout and Jem will keep you laughing, but sometimes crying. Atticus Finch is put in the middle of a no win situation, but teaches his children a valuable life lesson in the process; always do the right thing, even if you must do it alone.
Connor_reader

Post by Connor_reader »

To kill a mocking bird, well I hope this isn't an instruction manual!! We wouldn't want people walking arounfpd the parks killing birds :D :D apart from that the book is an incredible read and I would recommend it to anyone and everyone.
sydneypro_27
Currently Reading: The Wind-Up Bird Chronicle
Bookshelf Size: 7
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-sydneypro-27.html

Post by sydneypro_27 »

This is an amazing book with amazing character development. Not only was this book an early example of racial acceptance but the characters are incredible. Atticus Finch is the ideal father. He is not your traditional father figure but his methods of raising his kids and a very open and free environment can be used as a great example for fathers everywhere. Atticus lets his children grow and develop entirely on their own. He wants them to be self-reliant and self-aware, and they turn out to be just that. I would consider this book a great step in racially focused literature and would definitely recommend it to anyone.
ReadManiac
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-readmaniac.html

Post by ReadManiac »

This book right here is an inspiration to society and our history. It shows determination and also gives people a glimse in the past. The book shows how the world wasn't always in favor of all people being equal. The main character and her brother also learned how life and society was,and gained knowledge from it.They grew as the story progressed,as well as the equality for Black men and Women(not much,but more than it did from the beginning of the story).Not only that,but the story shows various themes like,don't judge a book by it's cover(which you will later find out why it's one of the themes,if you read it).Harper Lee is a outstanding writer with words that have so much meaning,and she includes problems people had to face,in to kill a mockingbird,in the time period it took place.
Goddess of Gab
Currently Reading: Help for the Haunted
Bookshelf Size: 10
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-goddess-of-gab.html

Post by Goddess of Gab »

akankssha23 wrote: I guess one of the factors to have contributed to its success is how the writer has actually imagined the child's perspective and written about it in a manner that makes it lucid for the reader as well...
This was certainly one of my favorite things about the book!
Though the rest of the writing is magnificent, and the author brings the two plots together quite well. One of the few books I've willingly read more than once.
KatMint
Currently Reading: The View from the Cheap Seats
Bookshelf Size: 2
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-katmint.html

Post by KatMint »

This is a great book about the topic of "otherness." Every main character has a facet to their personality or race that sets them apart. The book is about bringing those individuals back into the fold of their community. Acceptance, respect
Ioana2104criss
Bookshelf Size: 2

Post by Ioana2104criss »

I loved this book.Harper Lee reached my heart by writing this story through a little girl's perpective and by showing how appearances can be wrong
OctoberSkye13
Bookshelf Size: 3
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-octoberskye13.html
Latest Review: "The 11.05 Murders" by Brian O'Hare

Post by OctoberSkye13 »

Hello ! :)
I actually had occasion to read this book a couple of years ago and I absolutely loved it. It has so many layers and touches on so many deep concepts. With a dark edge and slightly depressing undertone, it's a fantastic read for fans of authors like Edgar Allan Poe or Charles Dickens.

-- 09 Jan 2017, 14:37 --

Hello ! :)
I actually had occasion to read this book a couple of years ago and I absolutely loved it. It has so many layers and touches on so many deep concepts. With a dark edge and slightly depressing undertone, it's a fantastic read for fans of authors like Edgar Allan Poe or Charles Dickens.
James Craft
Favorite Author: Lincoln Cole
Currently Reading: Carnivore
Bookshelf Size: 51
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-james-craft.html
Latest Review: "Perdido Bay Blues" by Jacqueline Lane
fav_author_id: 26410

Post by James Craft »

ttuso22 wrote:I NEED to read this book! I am surprised I made it through high school without it being assigned to me.
I'm surprised as well. It is really good and a staple in most schools. I thought it was interesting, though in some ways I think they made us read it too young to fully appreciate it.
Latest Review: "Perdido Bay Blues" by Jacqueline Lane
OctoberSkye13
Bookshelf Size: 3
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-octoberskye13.html

Post by OctoberSkye13 »

James Craft -
I completely agree. It's such a deep book full of some really heavy concepts. And the timeline for reading it is usually so short and you can't really talk about the main issues. It's a great read!
GBDJ8016
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-gbdj8016.html

Post by GBDJ8016 »

I read this book tons of times after we were assigned it for class back when I was in high school and always found a way to read it to my younger brother's 5th and 6th grade class and they always were so intrigued , it's a great bout about a wise single father who is raising his kids in an era where people dicriminated and chose to react in ways that even a young girl (scout) saw as wrong. It really brings out the question of how smart and quick witted children are and how much they really come to learn in such a short time
green4O
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-green4o.html

Post by green4O »

I love this book. As someone outside the US and isn't very informed on its history, this was an eye-opener. It was thought-provoking and fun to read. It's amazing how the author was able to amaze me with the richness of ideas and thoughts yet, at the same time, convince me that the narration can really come from a child. It felt genuine.

Return to “Classic Books”